“Ran the Gamut” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Canyon, Texas
“Ran the Gamut”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

I rated this stay an 'average' in that the three nights I stayed there ran the gamut of highs and lows. The check-in process was smooth with a courteous rep on the afternoon of April 1, 2014. While checking in, however, a guest approached complaining that his key would no longer open his room and that it was the fifth time in five days that it has happened. During my stay, it happened to me once, and twice to a co-worker. I also heard several other people state their keys weren't working--so there was definitely something going on with their key system that made for some inconveniences with guests.

My room was very clean with the exception of cigarette butts on the balcony from a previous guest. Housekeeping shouldn't assume that no one would leave trash on the balcony. The wind was blowing very hard, so I am not sure how they didn't blow away, but seeing them detracted from the overall clean appearance.

One night I woke early and decided to use the exercise facility. The on-duty desk person told me they don't open the room until 6am. I have been in many hotels where there are people working out at 4am because they need to be showered, and have eaten and out the door by 7:30am. I thought this policy was ridiculous. In all fairness, there was a door to the pool from the fitness room, but couldn't they just lock that door and let guests use the fitness room around the clock? In any event, I went jogging outside and returned at 6:15am and the room was still locked--so I don't know what their actual policy is for that room. If you work out in the mornings, don't assume you can do that here.

The next morning I decided to do some work (via internet) and found the wi-fi was down. I went to the front desk and the rep told me that she about the problem and the 'tech guys' would have to reset it (their router, I assume). Knowing I could use my mobile phone, I did have 3-bars of service on the 16th floor using a Samsung Note with Sprint--however, my co-worker had no service on the 15th flood with an iPhone using AT&T (just an FYI).

Overall, the property was very clean and all personnel I encountered were very courteous and respectful. It was conveniently located for my business trip and I probably would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Japheaux,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. It is a delight to read you found the rooms clean and our personnel courteous and respectful. However, we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please be assured that the feedback we receive will be reviewed and most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for your time and for staying with us.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Usa, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

This location is not worth the money. Ok i just recently stayed at the one off Navigation Blvd which is centrally located making it easier and funner to explore Corpus and Padre Island. The price you pay to eat and park you can use in gas to stay at the Navigation Blvd location. The rooms are better,staff are more eager to accomodate,the housekeeping is way more proficient, breakfast is free,outdoor pool,malls and walmart close by. The list goes on. At the downtown Marina all you get is easy access to the beach and boardwalk unless you come for a meeting, conference, etc...and then ofcourse you need this location. The view is definitely a plus,but housekeeping was horrible or should i say not getting any. Restaurant closes,i had to get a ride to Water Street the first night and Walk to what a burger the next. You pay for parking. Rooms are not huge. They were clean though. I just wasn't impressed. Its not a horrible place it's just not the bomb either. So i say Average.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear ILOVETRAVELING100,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our housekeeping staff. We’re also sorry you were not satisfied with the location of the hotel. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G
texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was my second stay at this property, and likely my last. Starting with the positives: this place is sparking clean and the rooms are comfortable with great views. Front desk staff were very professional and personable (esp. Denver). Everything about room service delivery was flawless. Be aware that you will be charged $10 to self park and $15 for valet. The negative: The restaurant. I had the breakfast buffet ($14, not a good value). The service was so poor that I had to write this review. The hostess seated me, brought a menu, got distracted and took the menu with her. I had to chase her down to get it. Once I decided on the buffet, I realized that was a poor choice. Eggs were dry and looked like they'd been there a long time. Gravy was the consistency of water. I ordered a soft drink and the waitress took 15 minutes to get it to my table. I had to go to waitress stations to request a check, then after paying, request a receipt. The restaurant staff were passive-aggressive in their neglect and acted as if they'd prefer to be anywhere else. That's no way to run a restaurant. Because of their poor service, my colleagues and I will seek better treatment at another local hotel that actually appreciates our patronage.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Jay J,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We're sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from the restaurant staff. We were disappointed to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Ferdinand G
Laredo, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Great view of the Gulf. Affordable for the location and comfort. Love that the pool is half indoors, half outdoors. Located downtown by the marinas and easy access to highway system. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms to the east face the Gulf.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tom W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, July 31, 2015
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate you staying with us and we are glad you enjoyed your visit.
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Enjoyed our stay very much, located very close to the ocean. Staff was friendly and helpful. Tish helped us get our AC fixed immediately. We felt very welcome & at home! Good mattresses & pillows. overall was enjoyed my stay completely!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate the review.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

The best mattress and pillows I have ever slept in. This Holiday Inn is excellent for the price. The room and bathroom was clean. The staff was friendly and accommodating , room service was excellent, plenty of parking, bar in the lobby, small market for snacks or drinks, close to the water. I was pleasantly surprised and will definitely stay again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for the wonderful 5 star review.
Cypress, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Overall an OK hotel. We stayed Thursday through Sunday morning. The housekeeping missed cleaning our room on Saturday. The decor was being remodeled, but the hotel was in need of more maintenence than remodeling. Also, in our opinion, overpriced for what we got. Will be exploring other hotels during our next visit.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear NairbChally,

Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W