“Staff is very accomodating and friendly”

Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina
Ranked #15 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Stafford
“Staff is very accomodating and friendly”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed her over thanksgiving holidays just to get away for a few days. We had an awesome time navigating around the area and hanging out at hotel bar with Michelle and Phillip. They are quite comical and just plain ole friendly. Food was great both room service and dine in. They also had an AWESOME thanksgiving brunch with salmon, NY strip, and other prime meats served by and carved upon request.

My 10'yr old enjoyed the indoor-outdoor pool and the staff joked around with him which was fun.

I will admit the hotel is a bit won but they are undergoing renovations and are working to correct those issues. I would visit again if only for the friendly staff and the great treatment. I felt very much appreciated her.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank virtualdebra
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Virtualdebra: Thank you letting us know about your recent stay with us over the Thanksgiving Holiday. We are happy to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay and got to enjoy all our amenities and our brand new Thanksgiving Brunch. We look forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My family had a wonderful Thankssgiving Dinner at the new Holiday Inn in Corpus Christi. The food was excellent, service was attentive, and we all had a wonderful holiday. The hotel was formally an Omni and is being refurbished. The staff does an excellent job. I highly recommend the hotel and dining.

R. Browning Nov 28, 2013

Room Tip: The rooms are being renewed starting at the upper floors and working down.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear RobertB: Thank you for sharing your experience with us at our Thanksgiving Brunch. This was our first one it what will be an annual event for us. You will be happy to know that we are also going to host an Easter and Mothers Day brunch as well. Thank you again for sharing your wonderful experience and we look forward to you returning.
Colleyville
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I write this review from the point of staying at hotels over 200 times per year and being a platinum member now and for years with IHG properties. This hotel has the rudest staff and the nastiest rooms I have ever stayed in and is just not acceptable. The carpet in my room is almost black and must date back 30 years when this was a Marriott hotel. This was a class hotel back then and now it is just nasty and IHG should pull the franchise. The rooms stinks and is just outdated and no one at this hotel although I have been nice will speak to me about the problem. Have you ever checked in and had the check in person not utter one word. Around 1030pm for the first time in my life I had a totally silent check in. This male front desk clerk once I handed him my IHG visa and ID said not one word and I am a platinum member and paying top dollar for what I thought was an upgraded remodeled room. Calls to this hotel promised this. My wife will not take her socks off because the room is so nasty. Shame on you manager and Shame on IHG and I am happy there are other hotel holding companies that want my business because in 30 years of travel I have not seen such a bad situation in hotel management.

Room Tip: Start looking at hotels owned by other than IHG. Look at newer hotels and find out how new they are...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RobertSummers
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Mr. Summers: Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for the service and the condition of your guest room carpeting. As you may not be aware this hotel was an Omni until February 1 when Holiday Inn took over. The room you received is pre renovation as we are working our way down from the 20th floor. Our front desk staff is currently undergoing IHG customer service training and the older rooms are currently having the carpets cleaned until they are renovated. Condition is not always indicative of management as there are many variables involved but we are sincerely sorry for your experience and hope that you will give us another try when you visit Corpus Christi.
Litchfield
Reviewed November 12, 2013

When we checked into the hotel, we were told that we were in a room with 2 double beds (6th floor), even though our reservations specifically said a king with a pull out. We were told that we were in the room we were in and there was nothing that could be done. We went to the room, and I proceeded to have one if the most terrible sleeps of my life.

I either shared a double bed with my 9 yo son or my 6'5 husband. I chose my son. Not only is sleeping with him like sleeping with a pile of snakes, there was a terrible smell in the room - chemicals or paint - something along those lines that made me feel so sick all night long.

I went to the front desk the next morning and showed them our reservation, told them about the smell, and they were more than happy to move us! We finally got into the room that we had made the reservation for! It was very comfortable, very nice. The only problem I had was that it overlooked the marina and the pool, and the doors to the deck were locked. I figured they were worried about a college student there on spring break jumping from the deck into the pool.

When we pulled out the pull out from the couch, there was a large bleach stain on the mattress, indicating to me that staff had tried to bleach out the accident. I asked for a new mattress, but they didn't have any, however, they did bring us a rollaway bed.

The restaurant was pretty good (I'm not a foodie - as long as it isn't terrible and fills me up, I'm good), the staff in the morning much more on the ball than the staff at night.

I know they are going through renovations, so to me this felt like a hotel that has a lot of potential, but the staff hasn't quite been given all the tools need to make it work. I think this will be a great hotel in the very near future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Wendy_R973: Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. I am sorry that you did not get the room type you had requested. I understand how uncomfortable it can be to have to share beds. We are in the process of undergoing a multi million dollar renovation that will correct the condition issues you had. We are glad that you enjoyed the dining room as it is a local favorite. We hope to see you again when you visit Corpus Christi.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Overall this is a decent hotel- convenient to nearby restaurants and waterfront. There's really nothing else nearby to walk to (like a grocery store or pharmacy) but that's more of a rant against downtown Corpus Christi itself. The service was good, I found the staff to be quite helpful. However, the windows are pretty dreadful- it was windy and I woke up in the middle of the night to a noise that sounded like a banshee. The window was vibrating from the wind and I had to push furniture against it to get the noise to stop.

Room Tip: While the upper levels on the bay side give a nice, if it's windy it is very loud.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear BJL79: Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Marina. I am sorry that you had issues with the windows in your room. Our engineering staff has been instructed to check every room to insure they are properly insulated so that they do not produce the vibration you had. The downtown area is full of a lot of local restaurants and nightclubs well within walking distance. I hope that on your return visit you will stay with us again.
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Flew in from the northeast for a wedding and I was pleased. Didn't expect too much but found the place to be clean, remodeled, and friendly staff.the surrounding area is nice with many options for dining as well. Overall, greatly recommend it

• Stayed October 2013
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Jcg0305: Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor.com. We are glad that you had a good time while visiting Corpus Christi and enjoyed your stay. Being a downtown hotel we have many dining options just beyond our front doors as well as our own Coastline Bistro. We hope to see you again should you ever visit Corpus Christi again.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Holiday Inn only because the Omni was sold out. There was no one around to valet park my car or to assist with luggage. The front desk personnel did not immediately greet guests and were slow. I asked for a renovated room since the reviews indicated only part of the hotel has been renovated. There was quite a mess in the hallway as they were changing out furniture and lamps in some rooms. It was obvious the hallway carpets and curtains were old as they were stained and worn.
The room was clean with comfortable bedding, but the furniture is rather cheap and the flat screen TV is small. The box springs are not covered and there are no homey touches such as a throw pillow on the chair. There is no refrigerator in the room, but they brought me one and just plugged it in next to the desk. The bathroom floor was dirty next to the tub. There is a coffee maker in the bathroom, which seemed odd to me. There are no glasses or mugs provided, only paper and plastic cups. The balcony door is locked shut, which was very disappointing on a beautiful day.
The best things about the hotel are the location, which is close to the courthouses downtown, the breakfast in the lobby restaurant, and the nice bar and seating areas in the lobby. Families with children will also like the large pool.
This hotel needs to finish these renovations and focus more on providing good service. Unlock the balcony doors, greet guests, and provide a few welcoming touches in the rooms. Ask for a room on the south (marina) side as the north side faces an office building.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the marina side and request a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lori H
Michael C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Lori H: Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us in regards to your stay. I am sorry that the "little things" let your stay down but I assure you the multi-million dollar renovation will fix all issues you addressed. While we have started the renovation we obviously had not reached the floor you were on. We hope that once the renovation is completed you will return to see al the improvements we have made.