“Excellent food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

The place was packed but everyone kicked to make sure we were taken care of. The food was exceptional and we really enjoyed ourselves. Well worth the wait!!

There are newer reviews for La Playa Mexican Cafe

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Went with my mom and brother at Christmas and had very good food but more importantly the waitstaff and management wanted the GUESTS there and it was OBVIOUS. the place is not much to look at from the outside or inside but those can be the best places and this is. We are from Houston and my mom and brother live in Corpus. I am craving the food there now and look forward to eating there when we visit next.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had passed by many times and had a taste for Mexican today so we decided to try it. We were seated promptly and our server was quick to take our drink order. The chips were warm and the salsa tasty. A tad too tasty for my fiancée though. The lunch special prices seemed like a pretty good deal. That is until we were charged for everything extra. My fiancée wanted some cheese on refried beans for her chips because the salsa was a little too spicy for her. She also asked for a little sour cream on the side for her 2 taco special. She was charged $1.50 for the saucer of beans and $1.50 for the cheese. We were also charged $1.55 for the "extra" sour cream. The food was very tasty and abundant and at a decent price as long as you watch out when you order anything extra. This would have been a more glowing review if not for that.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We came here on a recommendation from a friend. The outside of the building could use a fresh coat of paint. Our friend told us to look for a blue roof, but it was more of a faded green color. I noticed that the drive through area had vehicles parked there and extra chairs were piled up. It looked like an outdoor storage area. It was a beautiful sunny and mildly windy day and there were people dining on the outside covered patio. Once inside, I noticed a beautiful fish aquarium. There were plenty of people dining here, some locals and some just passing through. Our female server spoke quickly but was nice in a young hip sort of way. I ordered the beef enchiladas because the menu specifically stated "real cheddar cheese." When my food arrived, I was a little disappointed to see on my enchiladas the typical food service softly melted processed cheese. They tasted okay, and the rice and beans were good and tasty. The rice had vegetables in them, but I didn't care for the green lima beans, though. On a side note, my husband didn't care for his stuffed fried avocado. He picked out the shrimp, which weren't properly cleaned, and it looked like there were globs of white cheese. Needless to say, he didn't care for it. He liked his fish taco, though, and offered me his tortilla soup. It looked like it had beef broth, sliced mushrooms and onions with chips and melted cheese. I took a small sip and didn't really care for it. It tasted more like french onion soup. I prefer the chicken based tortilla soup with a clearer broth and lighter flavor.

I took a visit to the ladies room and couldn't help but notice that the door entering the bathrooms was dirty and the paint had been rubbed off. It looked more like a door at a construction site than at an eating establishment.

I wanted to like this restaurant more than I did.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I spend 8 days in two cities across Texas and this was the best meal I had. In addition to the amazing, delicious, and filling shrimp dinner, the margarita was only $2.50. It wasn't the best drink I ever had but I will definitely go back to this restaurant for that shrimp every time I'm in Corpus Christi!