“Reviewing location near Weber / near Outback. Awesome. Not the same as the address above.”

La Playa Mexican Cafe
Ranked #144 of 691 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Reviewed February 10, 2013

First of all, you have to be careful with these other reviews you are reading. I'm reviewing the location near Weber & Outback Steakhouse. The address above is for the LaPlaya near Rodd Field (which is a huge disappointment, by the way). My understanding is that it's not the same owner, from the waiter at the Rodd Field place. I have previously reviewed that location.

That being said, the location near Outback is AWESOME. We have been twice and it's a big hit. Live Mariachi on Friday night. We tried to call for reservations but could not find a phone number. You can't even find it listed on google maps or the yellow pages. Now, this is not a place for a quiet dinner. This is a place to go and have some fun and laugh and enjoy! It was very loud but fun. Food was amazing. We arrived hungry at 7pm on a Friday and there was no wait for a table. We shared appetizers. Mexican martini was not great. Sangria is awesome. Draft beer is served in large pilsner glasses. Meals were fabulous. You get a lot for your money. I feel that the prices are very reasonable for the food you get. If you go on Friday night, be patient because the staff has to maneuver around the Mariachi. It might take a while to get refills on a drink. The Mariachi is not the same each time either, so there is some variety. Have not tried dessert yet because you are too full from dinner. :) But, you don't need to follow my advice... because I worry that next time I'll have to wait for a table if I convince too many of you to try it out.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank IloveTX

“Great food”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My boys love to eat there and they love the stuff avacado and the cheese . They love to go on their birthday every yr and i enjoy seeing them happy . I also love their food and drinks.

Visited May 2012
USA
“Great Chips and Salsa but pricy for Mexican”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I enjoyed their chips and salsa, but I did not enjoy tacos I ordered. The sauce that supposed to be spicy was not spicy enough, and shrimp and tilapia smelled really strong... as if it was not cleaned well. Price of entrees were all higher than other Mexican restaurants in this area. Not sure if I would go back...

Corpus Christi, Texas
“La Playa on SPID next to Outback = Excellent”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

When I am in town we try to visit La Playa weekly and always have the Fajitas Tarascas. These are fajitas with an alfredo/mexican sauce. I had this for dinner last night and it was excellent.

1 Thank James512
“Love this place!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Love La Playa on SPID near Weber. Food is delicious, service is always outstanding and on Friday nights enjoy the mariachis. The shrimp is some of the best I've had considering its a mexican restaurant.