“Good Food”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Wanted some seafood while in Corpus Christi. Went to Catfish Charlie's for lunch. Catfish was offered as grilled or fried. My son and daughter had the fried catfish. One had the regular plate and the other the lunch plate. Both had plenty to satisfy. Both plates came with cole slaw, french fries and a cup of red beans. Hush Puppies were brought to the table when you sat down. The red bean were tasty, a bit smokey and spiced just right. I had thelunch fried shrimp plate. It came with the same sides as the other plates. I was a bit disappointed that I was only served 3 large shrimp I would have liked 4 or 5, but they were very good and the tartar sauce was excellent. My husband opted for the the cold shrimp salad. It was very good, they offered cooked shrimp mixed with celery and dressing on a nice bed of lettuce. For the non fish eater, she ordered the chichen fried chicken breast. They take a chicken breast and cut into strips batter and fry. Her portion was amply and took some home. Our service was very attentive and friendly. After this meal we were all too full to attempt a dessert.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

this is an excellent place to enjoy some good fried catfish. the food was delicious and the service was excellent. it is located just off SPID on McArnold road. we have been there many times and it is ways a good place to eat.

1  Thank Charles156
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Price is Very reasonable during lunch. Hush puppies out of this world with there own tarter sauce is very good. I enjoy all there food.

1  Thank Diana G
Reviewed August 22, 2013

On a recent weekend trip to Port Aransas, we decided to take the short drive to Corpus and check out Catfish Charlie's. Dining on Saturday evening on the island usually comes with a requisite long wait for a table. Hoping to avoid this, we went on to Catfish Charlie's. It's not a huge place, maybe 40-50 tables max. Every table was occupied and the hostess said we have a 20 minute wait, which we did. The place has a cozy country atmosphere with exposed beams and vinyl red and white checkered tablecloths. My son liked the old-school wooden telephone booth they have just inside the door decked out with an early 80's poster of E.T. phoning home.
The menu is heavy on the fried selections but I'm guessing most people don’t come here for health food. Our appetizer choices were the SOBs (shrimp stuffed with oysters and wrapped with bacon), and the Crab Pepper Puppies (jalapenos stuffed with crabmeat). Both were tasty. The Bayou Country Feast and the small Shrimp Plate were our dinner entrees. Shrimp was fried perfectly and without too much breading. Hush puppies, beans, coleslaw and country fried potatoes were served on the side. The Feast also came with gumbo, which had a rich, dark roux and well-seasoned shrimp and vegetables.
We were pleased with the service and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Only complaint was that there was no shrimp on the children's menu, only two choices, catfish or fried chicken. And the boy wanted shrimp. Highly recommend this restaurant. Can’t go wrong here for home cooked seafood and a comfortable family atmosphere.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I revisited Catfish Carlie's after many years. I do not get to Corpus Christi that often. The exterior is ranch style with basically their menu printer in large letters on the exterior billboard which is the centerpiece of the building. The interior is one large room, wood floors, dim lighting, and red and white checkered table cloth. When you enter someone opens the door and gives you a warm smile. I believe the restaurant is owned and operated as a family business. I was seated quickly and a basket of complimentary spicy hush puppies, I had two baskets. Tartar and cocktail sauce came with the hush puppies. I ordered a Lone Star (bottle no draft which I would have liked. The menu is limited, mostly but not all fried options. I had the Bayou Teche Creole Shrimo, pan seared w/rice which was $7.99. I enjoyed it. There were probably five jumbo shrimp which turned out to be a good thing after two baskets of hush puppies. There are sides options of steak fries, red beans and cole slew. I did not try any of them. If you like fried food this might be a good option for you.