“Good food”

Island Italian Restaurant
Ranked #53 of 690 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Good food”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great place to eat and take family and friends, great food and drinks. I would visit again and again.

Visited December 2012

Corpus Christi, Texas
“A reason to return...”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

It is not much to see from the outside but once you walk inside, greeted by smiles and eager faces and seated, you will be pleasantly surprised for what is next to come. The food is by far the best Italian food I have ever had. My favorite is the Lasagna and you are able to get a whole or half order. My husband's favorite is the huge Caeser salad with grilled chicken or shrimp. There are daily specials and music on Thursday, Friday or Saturday evenings. You will not be disappointed; in fact, you will already be looking forward to your return to one of Padre Island's finest restaurants!

• Visited November 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“What a meal!!!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Tonight, Monday, Oct. 22, my wife and ate at the Island Italian upon the recommendation of a friend of ours. Of course, prior to going, I made the obligatory visit to TripAdvisor to see what others had encountered.

I cannot vouch for those who were disenchanted with their visits. I’m sorry, but for us, our dinner was exquisite.

If, you are a tourist looking for a typical “tourist trap” in which to eat, you will drive by the Island Italian without giving it a second thought. However, if you truly want some really good Italian food, don’t drive by – STOP. Don’t let the outside of the building nor its size fool you. Once you are inside, you will see that you are in an Italian restaurant.

The service was fast, efficient, and courteous. In fact, I had a personal sense of obligation to leave a tip larger than what I would normally leave.

Now, for the food. Dinner started with each of us having a typical garden salad. I did not ask, but I believe that the salads came from a bag of per-prepared salads much like you would buy in a grocery story. However, I did not consider that an issue as we eat those types of salads on a recurring basis and the ones we had tonight were very fresh. And they were included with the price of the meals.

They do have much fancier salads should you be so inclined.

As for the main course … Caution: unless you have a really large appetite, do not order the full serving. I made that mistake. A full order should easily satisfy two adults quite well.

I had the baked lasagna (full size). I would estimate that the lasagna was approximately 3 inches thick, 3 inches wide, and about 6-7 inches long. I have ordered lasagna in a number of Italian restaurants. Without any doubt, this was the biggest piece of lasagna, I have ever had served me. When I took my first bite, I just sat back in my chair, closed my eyes, and enjoyed the wonderful taste. I was really surprised with its taste, texture, and overall quality. And no, I wasn’t able to finish it .

My wife, in her wisdom, order the half serving of eggplant parmesan. She said it was delicious. And considering how clean her plate was when she finished testifies to it goodness.

She finished off her meal with a child-size serving of spumoni ice cream. Her only comment at the end was, “Now, this is real ice cream!”

As to the prices, let me offer a couple of examples. Baked lasagna, full order $13.50; half order $10.50.

Eggplant parmesan, full order $10.59; half order $8.50.

When you are in Corpus Christi, don’t bypass the opportunity to eat at Island Italian.

• Visited October 2012
central Maine
“Good Italian food with local flair”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

On a recommendation ate here our first night in town. Food was good with large helpings and friendly staff. Great value for your money.

Visited October 2012
Abilene, TX
“Nothing special”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had high hopes and decided this was going to be one of those hit-or-miss places considering the up-and-down reviews. It was a miss. The food was bland and lacked seasoning. Do the cooks taste the food before sending it out? Portion size was ok and their marinara was good. The pizzas looked nice, but unfortunately we went for pasta and chicken. The menu said that my portion of chicken was supposed to be fried in olive oil, but it looked and tasted like it was poached. The shrimp was cooked well, but not seasoned at all. The bread sticks were burnt on the bottom. Our meal was supposed to come with garlic bread and we tried to let someone know, but after the waiter gave us our food, we didn't see him again until after our meal. It would have been nice to get a drink refill.
Perhaps we were just one of the few who got a bad experience here, or we're just a bit snobby when it comes to Italian food, but this place didn't hit the mark as far as we were concerned.

• Visited August 2012