“Amazing Thai Food”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2010

The Corpus Christi food scene was redeemed in my mind after an amazing dinner here. I love Thai food and try it everywhere I go (plus eat it at home in SF frequently) and this is some of the best I've ever had. Chef Pennee and her husband Paul spent time speaking with us about their food and were happy to make all of our dishes vegetarian... not just by taking out the meat- by the thoughtful, tasty addition of more protein through beans, chickpeas and edamame. She firmly believes vegetarian means no fish sauce hidden in the food and will creatively make dishes to any dietary specification. The show-stopper was the green curry, served in a whole coconut. As a result, the curry was less sweet than usual and it was such a treat to scrape and eat fresh coconut in the curry! Usually I come away from Thai food feeling heavy and gluttonous but I actually feel like I ate a home cooked, healthy meal tonight. To top off everything, they are warm, wonderful people and it felt a little to my sisters and me, like we had parents away from home looking out for us.

1  Thank lea3777

Reviewed August 3, 2009

For lunch are bill came out to be $50. That is the most expensive lunch i've had. The food was nothing exciting, but I might be bias since I've had good if not great Thai Food in Houston that is reasonably priced. The Thai Tea were $8 each, which is beyond crazy to me.

The only good thing about this place was the service was very good. They were very nice and gracious, but I would never come back, sorry.

2  Thank arimi
Reviewed March 24, 2009

My wife and I, owners of a Korean restaurant and lovers of Thai food, tried Thai Spcie for the first time yesterday. For two of us with water, the bill came to $30.10 (including an 18% gratuity for two people at lunch!) We asked for water and were charged 1.95 for each bottle. The prices were rediculous, the service was "creepy": my wife asked for some firsh sause and the cooks husband said,m "we don't use fish sauce on Pad Thai." We had to request it three times-finally demanding it-until he finally brought it. The noodles were mushy and the shrimp, advertised as "jumbo" wwere medium at best. A definite, "stay away from this place!!!!!"

1  Thank Foodsharky
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Well, where do I start....I would have given this restaurant 1 star, but the food wasn't half bad. Fresh, decent food with some nice flavors and presentations.

BUT! First off, we asked for some water. We just wanted some tap water, but the waiter came out with a bottled water, ALREADY OPENED, so we, of course, felt obligated to buy it (I think it cost $2.50 for a bottle of Sam's club water..). We then waited a very long time for the waiter to come and take our order. Prices were at least 3-7 dollars more than a normal Thai place might be. The food came and, like I said, it was good, but more fancy than actual edible food. We then waited a very, very, very long time to even get our utensils, then an even longer time getting our check. Overall, not a great experience.

Reviewed August 20, 2008

Family like atmosphere and good food.
This is the 3rd time my wife and I visited Thai Spice. The price is a bit pricey but you do get what you pay. The ingredients are fresh and the quality is good.
If you like Coconut, you should definitely try the Sweet Rice dessert.
The dessert is served in young coconut with coconut milk and sweet rice. There's even coconut meat that you could scope off the coconut with the dessert.