“Waited an hour and a half and then had to leave”

Thai Spice Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 700 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
North Houston, Texas
“Waited an hour and a half and then had to leave”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

It seemed like a good place in downtown. The servers were nice. But we had to wait an hour for the appetizer and were then informed we would have to wait another hour for the main course. We decided to leave before that. The restaurant wasnt full but they were seriously short handed. The owner/manager was waiting the tables, cooking and managing the desk and even bar tending. Talk about multi tasking.

Visited July 2013

“Amazing curry, gracious owners”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Been in regularly and the owners/chef are always so gracious and accommodating. The green curry has a gorgeous presentation and is some of the best I have ever had!

• Visited June 2013
Granbury, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top Thai Found in Corpus”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Restaurants fall generally into two braod categories: those that run on autopilot, and the one whose owners' very lives revolve around the eatery. One of my favorites in Madrid is a gourmet establishment staffed entirely by two: the wife runs the kitchen and her tuxedo-clad husband presides over the dining room.

Paul Pennee's incredible Thai Spice, sitting in the shadows of the Corpus Bayfront and Holiday Inn hotels, has a few more people on the payroll but the TLC that goes into this charming place is similar. Paul himself took our order, served as our waiter. I never asked if Mrs. Pennee was at work in the kitchen; but, it wouldn't surprise me.

We began with chicken satay unlike I'd ever seen: plump skinless breasts, cooked to perfection, smothered in an excellent peanut sauce a served with cilantro and large wedges of tomato in lieu of the cucumber relish to which I've become accustomed.

Tom Ka soup was next, coming to us in an usual hat-shaped bowl. A little more mocha colored than any I've seen before, it was thick and delicious with a strong taste of galanga but no discernable chunks of the savory root. Generous pieces of white chicken meat gave the soup a more hearty, almost stew-like, substance.

The steak salad was, as Paul had warned, large enough for two. Finely-cut cilantro, peppers, onion was topped with a thin-sliced filet done to perfection, all served with large tomato wedges. A light noon meal fit for a king, washed down with lots of ice water and in my case a frosty Thai Singha beer.

I'd recommend this treasure to anyone, even my Thai friends.

Visited June 2013
Houston, Texas
“waiting time is 5 years”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We came to this restaurant as it is a walking distance from the hotel we stayed in. It was before 8p.m. and we were seated right away at the corner. We waited for a while and had to call someone to get our orders. Orders were placed, so we kinda chill and drinks were served after a few minutes and that was it. The tables are so closely situated to each other and you can even hear the other people's conversation more than yours. You can hardly pass to get to the restroom. Waiting time was soooo long that the kids got so impatient I had to take them outside and take a stroll while they were preparing our food ( I told my husband to call me when it's ready). The mosquitoes were biting us outside so we had to go back in, only to wait to infinity. After 5 years of waiting, the food finally came but I was too disappointed I lost my appetite. Food wasn't exceptional either! It would have been okay to wait if the food is truly great but there's really nothing special about it. All that wait for nothing! I will never come back here again unless I want to shorten my lifespan from a stressful wait!

• Visited June 2013
Montgomery, Texas
“Soooo Delicious”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This will be a definite return restaurant!! Food was spicy and delicious and the owner/chef was very kind. So many wonderful flavors ... WOW! Loved it!!

Visited June 2013