“Okay food but ridiculous prices” 3 of 5 bubbles

Thai Spice Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 690 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Okay food but ridiculous prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2008

My husband and I ate here while visiting my grandparents last week. We were a bit late coming in (8:30 pm on a Monday night,) but we were treated like family and the service was outstanding. My husband lived in Thailand for two years and we travel there frequently, so he was having a great time practicing his Thai on the friendly staff.

We ordered one entree apiece and shared a papaya salad,"Som Tum" as an appetizer. I had two Singhas and my husband had three. We also got an order of drunken noodles to take home for my grandma as she has begun to develop a taste for Thai through her adventurous granddaughter!

Now, we have eaten in Thai restaurants all over the world, literally from Bangkok to Bermuda and everywhere in between. When we order this amount of food in a "normal" place, like Corpus, our bill is always about $50-60. (Of course, it would be $10 in Bangkok and $100 in New York or Bermuda!)

I nearly choked when the bill came in at $141! Turns out they had added in gratuity already (odd for just 2 people,) but still - wow. I looked at the menu more closely and realized that the Larb Gai I had ordered, which is a simple dish of ground chicken, lime juice, and spices, was $17.95 alone. Normally, this dish runs around $7-$8! The "special" that my husband ordered, which was basically just Thai fried chicken (Gai Tod,) must have been $30! We were literally speechless.

We didn't want to raise too much of a stink as the people had been very nice, so we paid and left. I doubt we'll ever get the urge to return. There are plenty of other very good Thai restaurants in Corpus, and I don't need my food served in a pineapple or a honeydew melon to enjoy it.

2 Thank PleasureSeekerTippy

Dallas
“Good food but pricey restaurant and overpowering Owner.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2008

Read good reviews on Tripadvisor and thought we should definitely go there. The place was good, food was good. But the old lady(most probably the owner)...my God! she was such an overpowering personality, she kept forcing her opinions on us. She literally forced us to drink the Saki (expensive) she wanted us to drink. She almost said to us that if you go for anything less than this then you are a cheapskate. Then while ordering food, I specifically asked her if the entree I was ordering is sweet or not (cause I hate sweet dishes), she said not at all, it is actually spicy. So, I ordered it, but guess what, it was sweeeet !! I asked her, "I thought you said this is not sweet, it is very sweet in taste". She says, "you can always order another dish". Normally, good restaurants have the decency to replace your dish if they gave you the wrong information, but not this lady. She was out to milk every dollar I had in my pocket. So, the two of us (my wife and I) ended up with a $70 bill, without even enjoying our food. These opinions are mine and maybe others had a better experience, but I still thought I owe this review to the tripadvisor community.

Chicago
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very authentic thai food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

I am eating the panang chicken right now. very good and well worth the visit. If using a GPS to get to this place.. use the address.. their old location still shows up and its on the other side of town

1 Thank Looknfortastyeats
Pittsburgh
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good food, horrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2007

The food was ok but there was only one waiter on a Saturday night. He was so busy I couldn't even get his attention to get a fork and had to eat with a spoon. We only received a tiny bit of rice, and again, couldn't get his attention to ask for more. They did not have sushi even though one full page of the menu was dedicated to it. The food was overpriced and the tip was already added into the total, which normally I wouldn't mind, but the service was so horrible I probably would've deducted it from the tip. We had a horrible dining experience due to the service and I'm hoping we just got unlucky that evening.

1 Thank tbva330
Corpus Christi, TX
“A Corpus Christi Must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2007

The food here is as as authentic as Thai can get--a full range of flavors, spicy but not too spicy. The owners are the chefs, and they take great pride in their meals. Everytime I've been, the owner has been in the kitchen personally preparing my meal. If you like spicy, ask her to add more. But be careful what you wish for! She's not afraid of spice! I'm never disappointed by the Panang Shrimp, a delicious saucy shrimp dish cooked and served in a young coconut. The soup served on the weekdays with your lunchtime entree is outstanding.

The atmosphere itself is very appealing, and could lend itself well to either a family dinner or a romantic outing.

A+++++! One of my favorites, tried and tested time and again!

1 Thank neechelle