“Good Food, sub-par service”
Review of Pier 99

Pier 99
Ranked #35 of 705 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Beach restaurant. Food was very good, and the seafood was quite good. Only had one drink refill and that was after I flagged down our server. Had to ask for my salad. Had to remind her about condiments we requested. Looked around at other tables with other servers, and they had the same issues.

There are newer reviews for Pier 99

Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I ate here for lunch on a Saturday. We'd spent the morning wandering around North Beach and the aquarium and were feeling the heat when we stopped for lunch. We just wanted some cold drinks and a light meal before touring the Lexington. Our waiter acted really irritated that he couldn't talk us into ordering more than just non-alcoholic drinks and a couple appetizers. Since we were dressed like summer tourists in shorts and tee-shirts and only ordered about $30 worth of food, I guess the waiter thought we were cheapskates and provided service accordingly. He took our order and he didn't stop by our table again until it was time to leave the check. Someone else brought our food and we couldn't get the waiter's attention to refill our drinks. The staff didn't seem inclined to help each other since the two other servers that we asked for refills said they would tell our waiter but didn't offer to take care of it. The food was okay but nothing special. The prices seemed about average compared to other restaurants offering similar fare. When the waiter brought our check, we asked for drink refills. My husband tried to give him the credit card to pay then, but the waiter said he'd be right back. After 10 minutes we asked another server if she would get him. She said he'd be right back. We waited five more minutes without him showing up with drinks or to take care of the credit card. By then we were really irritated and ready to leave. We don't usually carry much cash, but we managed to scrape together enough to cover the bill and a small tip so we could get out of there.

The restaurant is in a great location between the aquarium and Lexington and the outdoor seating was nice with the sea breeze blowing through. Even though the food wasn't great, the atmosphere is casual and should be tourist friendly. However, the service was just so terrible that I couldn't possibly recommend Pier 99.

1  Thank kyriecat
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I ate here yesterday with a friend who was visiting out of town.
she has eaten here a few times and even said its.not the greatest (but her daughter really wanted to eat here ).

Staff seemed really nice and a bit rushed, they were pretty busy.

We sat on the back porch with an amazing view of the Lexington.
Sadly it was pretty windy outside but with no seats inside we just dealt with it.
(not the staffs fault obviously)

Now the food.. The food wasn't great. The friend shrimp were fried for to long and some almost completely burnt.
The salad was decent but made me sick after.
(I'm allergic to most dish soaps used in restaurants, and since normally the soap leaves behind residue I get sick..)

Maybe another day they would.be better...

Reviewed July 16, 2014

The place looks like a run down shack and it probably was before it was made into a restaurant. Eat outside as that area seem to be better kept up for some reason. The shrimp was extremely good! It was fresh, tender, extremely flavorful, and you get a lot for the asking price. The only reason I did not give the place a 5 on the score is the service. I was there twice and the 1st time the staff had a great attitude, willing to answer questions about Corpus Christi and the surrounding area. The 2nd time, even though half of the staff were the same people they were completely closed off and ignored questions.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Was told this was a good place to eat while gigging corpus. Should have know better just by the look of the "shack", but I thought maybe it's just supposed to "look" this way. The staff was not very friendly, the best part was eating outside with live music. The food came fairly quickly, however...within 15-20 mins of eating my fish burger I started feeling dizzy, sick to my stomach, disorientated, heart racing and a headache. These are signs of food poisoning with fish knowing this is a histamine reaction I started drinking water and took antihistamines. Now two doses later and lying in bed I am starting to feel better. I know I'm not allergic to the fish because I have ate it and others like it many times before with no problems.