“My Date's Favorite!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Montgomery, Texas
“My Date's Favorite!”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Food and wine were great. My date LOVED his seafood pasta dish...and the wine was excellent. Great, personable waiter kept everything lively! Note that this is a CASH only restaurant. Everything we had was quite tasty and portions were quite large.

• Visited June 2013

Corpus Christi, Texas
“If you want good food go - if that's not your main concern don't”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have been eating there for years. If the quality of the food is your primary concern then go If you are uptight or like to order restaurant owners and employees around don't go - cause you won't be happy. Mel and Mario -the two main waiters- have been there for more than 10 years- they are confident and know exactly what they are doing. The owner is from Italy and New York and he will say exactly what he is thinking - he has been in the restaurant business for over 50 years and he has seen it all. He will show you the respect you show him. The fish is always as good as you will find south of Houston , the steak is good and the pastas are. Solid. Desert is lacking although the strawberries are decent. The free bread is his biggest weak point and don't ask for butter because he doesn't have any - good olive oil though. You won't believe how many people hate the experience because he doesn't have butter.

I have eaten in very good restaurants all over the world . New york, san francisco, all over the french riviera etc and For me my only metric is the food - and the quality is up there. It's a little pricey but its good work.
Anyone who says the food is not excellent is either not qualified to judge, was there on an off night( which in 14 years I've never had- but it could happen anywhere) , or is just mad because of something other than the quality of the food.

The service- while there is no doubt in my mind that anyone with experience would say the food is excellent - I can see how some may get put off by the service. I personally think its an awesome atmosphere. I don't think that the owners occasional pipe smoking ( even though we have a no smoking ordnance) make one bit of differance. But in an era where waiters come to a table and sing happy birthday and offer unlimited pasta bowls I can see how some may be put off. We have 5 or 6 first quality restaurants in corpus - 3 Asian, a couple of BBQ and mama Mia's. our steak places are not top level but we have 2 that make an A minus. We do have a bunch of people with thin skin.

• Visited May 2013
“Italian dinner”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had not been here in several years. It was the right place at the right time. Yes, the prices are high, but the food is prepared as it is ordered. The service was very good; waitstaff very attentive. I like fresh, white tablecloths, cloth napkins, clean wine glasses. The pasta was cooked just right, and my veal marsala was tender and more than I could eat.

• Visited April 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Good Pasta”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great place tp eat and take your family and friends . Love their pasta and their breads. love taking my family to edat their.

HOUSTON
“Arrogance, stench and blaring music”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Overpriced food with blaring music and the stench of pipe smoke. The place is washed up and has seen better days. The owner used to welcome people and respect the regulars. That's over. Never will I return with my significant other. Totally disrespected. What a change a year makes. Arbitrary seating with a dictatorship and the nerve of charging 20 plus bucks for lasagna and extra if you want to split it. Gmab. Cash only? I think this is the 21st century. Can you say tax evasion? Plenty of places where the owner and staff dont act like they are doing you a favor. For my money I would recommend Katz,Republic of Texas, Vietnam, and Water Street. For pasta:Macaroni Grill and the Venetian will do. Anyone who brings a Carrabas downtown will crush this guy and will be loaded down with cash. Service is going to hell most places and too many people see waiting tables as a stepping stone to something else..keep stepping.

1 Thank TEXASFOODCRITIC