“Delicious!”

Scuttlebutt's Seafood Bar & Grill
Ranked #15 of 711 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The number one question asked is “What does Scuttlebutt’s mean?” Well, we answer, The original context came from two nautical terms; the “butt” (picture a wooden keg) was a wooden cask that stored the fresh water when sailors were at sea. The “scuttle” was the area of the ship where the “butt” was stored. When it was break time, the sailors would gather at the “Scuttle Butt” and drink. This also became a social time, as they could all meet and talk. Now over the years the words joined together and became “scuttlebutt”. This word was used when people would gather together, typically at the office water fountain, and ask one another, “Hey, what’s the scuttlebutt with Jim in accounting?” Here is the official definition according to Meriam Webster; 1a : a cask on shipboard to contain freshwater for a day's use 2b: a drinking fountain on a ship or at a naval or marine installation 2: rumor, gossip. Now that you know what Scuttlebutt’s means, this is what we are about! Scuttlebutt’s is a full service restaurant and bar that truly is a place where everyone, from babies to baby-boomers, can get together and have a great time! Our menu is as equally diverse, with grilled peanut butter, banana and honey sandwiches, hand-cut rib eye steaks, oysters on the half shell and one of the best sushi bars around. Our premium craft beer wall and wine selection is top rated, and make sure to try our house made sangria or our signature Scuttlebutt’s punch. We are a scratch kitchen and our day starts in the wee-early mornings when the hard-working prep team arrives to bust out our house recipes. Another appeal to Scuttlebutt’s is that we offer Happy Hour every day (Yes, week-ends too!) from 3pm-7pm and we have live music every night (Yes, really, every night – unless the Dallas Cowboys are playing). We can easily accommodate larger groups as well as be the perfect spot for date night, which has turned into a marriage proposal on more than one occasion. Call ahead seating is available and we can help plan a perfect office party or celebration with custom menu options. Come visit us and become part of our Scuttle Family!
Reviewed October 5, 2013

On the recommendation of the associate who helped us at T-Mobile (thanks Andrea!), my husband and I stopped at Scuttlebutt's for dinner tonight. This place is big, crowded, kind of rowdy (but not in a threatening way), and very very noisy. There was live music, which kept us entertained. Our server was being run ragged but was really good and very nice. We ordered the fried pickles and crab-stuffed mushrooms for our apps, and both were delicious. Deep fried pickles may sound gross, but they are delicious and greasy and briny, and before you know it the entire basket will be gone. Bonus points for the chunks of fried calamari that got mixed in with our pickles! The crab-stuffed mushroom were VERY hot, cheesy, and so darn good, we fought over them.
I ordered the coconut shrimp entree: 8 HUGE shrimp breaded with panko and coconut, and deep fried until they're crispy and hot, with a spicy orange-chili dipping sauce. Entrees come with a choice of two sides, and I chose jalapeno hush puppies, and spinach au gratin. The hush puppies were a bit of a disappointment...very dry, and not a hint of jalapeno to be found. The spinach au gratin was amazing, and I wanted a mixing bowl full of it: creamy cooked spinach topped with melted cheddar cheese. Their portions are enormous, especially after all of the pickles and mushrooms, so I ended up with leftovers enough for another meal.

I also ordered a Captain Mango: Captain Morgan spiced rum with mango puree and ice. I couldn't taste the rum at all, and it was way too sweet for my liking, but I'm sure it's popular with the ladies.

My husband ordered the chili burger and fries: a giant burger patty topped with chili and jalapenos. Again, it was huge...he's notorious for cleaning his plate and even he couldn't finish it!

Aside from the excellent food, Scuttlebutt's had a fun party atmosphere without some of the annoying drawbacks, and, as we were seated right near the bar, the people-watching made up for any short-comings. One thing still puzzles me, though...what exactly is a scuttlebutt?

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Can't lump this restaurant into just one category because they serve so many different items. I had the Scuttlebutt's Salad which was to-die-for with its candied pecans, bacon and granny smith apples. The creamy garlic dressing was the perfect touch. My husband had the soft shell crab sandwich and didn't leave a bite on his plate. Everyone was picking the delicious French fries off his plate. Their selection of craft beers and special mixed drinks was fabulous. We were there during the live music Saturday night - a little loud making conversation difficult, but the music was certainly appropriate for the venue. If you're on the island and don't want to drive into Corpus, this is definitely the place to go.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommend this restaurant if you're in Corpus Christi and are looking for at great place with great food. The calamari was the best I've ever had and the special was beer battered wahoo with fries and jalapeño hush puppies! DELICIOUS!! If you leave here hungry it is your fault as the portions are large. It was a little loud but no so loud that you couldn't hear your party. The service was great and the price was comparable. We will be back!!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We went to Scuttlebutt's late on Saturday night. We had gone to Padre Burger a little after 10pm and they had already closed the kitchen, even though they are open til midnight, we had one drink and then went to Scuttlebutt's, which is a mile or so away.
They have a HUGE menu, you can get just about anything you could possibly want. They were open til midnight, with the kitchen open, yay!! The menu has everything from seafood to pb&J sandwiches. We had a patty melt and wings. Both were great. The staff is excellent and very attentive. Price is moderate, not expensive, very nice atmosphere with a full bar.
We would definitely go back

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

After a day of fishing, my family and I brought our catch here for them to cook it up. They did a great job!
The food was good, little on the greasy side tho.
Our server couldn't remember to give me my water. But other than that he was great!
The music was good too. Will return!