“Nothing Special-From a Person Who Eats in Restuarants Everyday”
Review of Saltwater Grill

Saltwater Grill
Ranked #11 of 715 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I visited Corpus Christi,TX several times per year on business. This time the front desk girl at my hotel recommended I go to the Saltwater Grill to have a good seafood dinner. She had never been there but had heard it was pretty good.

I went to dinner and tried out the food and the cuisine. I was seated immediately by the hostess. There were booths and tables to sit in, I chose a table near their small bar in the center of the restuarant. When the hostess seated me she asked if I wanted a booth or a table, I just said the best waitress.

I sat waiting for my waitress to come by for a little longer than I felt I should. She finally came by and aske me what I wanted to drink and took my appitizer order for Calamari. She soon returned with my drink order. In what I felt was close to being the appropriate amount of time a person from the kitchen came with my Calamari.

The Calamari was overcooked and tough to chew. Pieces were stuck together and I had to pull them apart. The order came with a Asian dipping sauce and a mustard sauce. I had to ask for cocktail sauce and was never asked if I wanted any other condiments with this dish. When my cocktail sauce came it was clearly a homemade type and consisted of 90 % catsup. I had to wait to find someone passing by to get their attention to complain that it needed more horse radish. I noted that my waitress wasn't attentive to me and was seldom combing the tables. I could see her standing around the kitchen chatting with the cooks waiting on orders. In othe restuarants I go to the waitress is walking around the tables asking if there is anything else I'd like and assurring satisfaction.

I ate my entire appitizer order and drank 2 glasses of drinks before my entree order was taken. I had to tell the waitress that she didn't take my order. She didn't even take the menu away after my order was placed and it layed on my table the entire time sometimes being in my way.

I ordered their SWG Sampler which had a couple pieces of fish, a crab cake, 2 fried shrimp, 2 fried oysters, 2 hush puppies, cole slaw, and my side choice of okra.

The entree was good as far as taste but nothing to brag about. No flavors popped out that made me say that this was great tasting, just a similar taste between all fried foods in the dish (the oysters had no taste at all, the shrimp tasted like the oysters, and the fish tasted the same too).

Overall I was disappointed with this visit to a restuarant that had been recommended to me. Poor service, bland food, and it required effort from me personally to make it taste good and tell the server what was missing or wrong with my order. The entire time I was eating here I was thinking of how many other restuarants that I've been to that blows this place away. Sometimes they aren't even as nice in appearance.

I probably wouldn't visit this restuarant again during my future visits!

Bill Workman
Charlotte, NC

1  Thank William W

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Had some friends that raved about this place, so I thought I would try it myself. I am so glad that I did. Went for lunch on a Tuesday afternoon. Arrived after 12, but before 1. Not too crowded and was seated immediately. Our server came and took our drink order and brought a basket of freshly fried potato chips. Theses chips were heavenly. I could of made a meal of just the chips. My husband ordered a fried shrimp and fish plate. I ordered the crab cake sandwich. The sandwich was good. Though it did have coleslaw on it. Not my favorite but was easily fixed by pushing it off with a fork. Hubby let me taste one of the shrimp. It was delicious. I also ordered a side dish of fried okra. Thought it was unusual side for a seafood place. But okra is something you don't see everyday and it is one of my favs. The okra was very good too. Other than the coleslaw on the sandwich, I have no complaints. Too me that was very minor and a personal choice that someone else may enjoy.

The serve was very attentive and the atmosphere was pleasant. I will definitely eat here again. If you happen to be in town, look this place up. Prices are decent and the seafood was very fresh!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a really good restaurant. I have been on a trip for more that a week, eaten all meals out and this is the best one yet. I started with Oysters Rockefeller. They were excellent. I used two appetizers, Crab Cakes & side salad, for my entree. Everything was wonderful. Waite staff was young but enthusiastic. Prices were very good.

Matthew B, Owner at Saltwater Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thank you for stopping in and spending time with us! I am very happy you enjoyed your meal.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Had the grilled Mahi Mahi, stuffed mushrooms and bread pudding. Best fish I've ever had! I suggest anyone that has the opportunity to visit do so!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Visiting in Corpus Christi looked for a great place to get some shrimp. Food was great right down to the hush puppies. The fried shrimp and fish was great. Tried something called Llyonaise potatoes as a side. Turned out to be good. Slaw was good and fresh green-beans was the vegetable of the day - was garden fresh. Was nice starting out with homemade potatoes chips. Place was clean as a whistle and all the staff was friendly. I'll be back. Whole family was pleased.