“Last breakfast of vacation”

JB's German Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 14 Dessert in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: German, Cafe, European
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin
“Last breakfast of vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband found JB's via another review site, so we decided to give it a try. Glad we did! We love finding great local food when we travel, and JB's did not disappoint. They have a very limited breakfast menu, but a huge amount of pastries to choose from.

The pastries are HUGE. You will not be hungry after eating one. The broccoli quiche was quite good, and I also had a coconut chocolate struedel which was far too rich for me to finish. According to our daughter and her friend the pretzel style roll with butter and honey were outstanding, as was the cheese omelette and toast that they shared. My husband had the French toast with bratwurst - he loved them both, and he also had a sesame ring (sesame bagel) which was very good.

In short, this is a great local place and we will go back when we are in the area again.

Visited June 2014

Cleveland, Ohio
“Tremendous selection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Some of the finest German baked goods to be found on this side of the Atlantic. Also offering cafe dining.

Visited August 2013
Wesley Chapel, Florida
“Get your German fix.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stopped for coffee and pastries on the way to the beach. Fantastic. The place doesn't look like much from the outside but the goodies inside will make you so happy. The traditional crusty dark bread, pretzels and huge selection of sweet treats was wonderful.

Visited May 2014
Austin, Texas
“Top-notch bakery, on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

Wow, I can't believe that an amazing bakery is right on the island. If I lived in Corpus, I'd drive out to the island to get their unusual baked goods.

I've had multiple items from there and always pleased. For example, the small cookies packed in the little containers are great for a picnic. The variety of breads, such as potato loaf and the baguettes are all tasty and have a "scratch made" flavor. These breads were popular at a cookout. If you want generic white bread, then go to a grocery. Another interesting and amazing item was their Pumpkin Coin, which was a cookie-like pastry crusted in toasted pumpkin seeds and covered in a light syrup. One of the tastiest pastries I've ever had.

I also had their special of the day, which was described as a meatball, but came out more like meatloaf. It was quite tasty and filling with potatoes as the side dish. It was so much that I split it into two meals.

• Visited April 2014
kansas city north
“Skip the lunch; stick to the bakery items”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Was really looking forward to a good German lunch. I always try to get the same thing when I go german as this is a fav combo of mine along with apple strudel. So I had the Reuben sandwich and hot german potato salad. Sandwich was very dry; bread did not taste like it was buttered and grilled at all. Not much kraut or cheese and I had even asked for extra kraut. Potato salad was bland and mushy--ugh. So disappointing! But on the upside as we waited we were offered several pastry samples and they were all great! The strudel was excellent. So this place is a must go to for good pastries but skip the lunch I ordered---maybe something else is better but if you screw up a reuben you need to go back to basic cooking school! Sorry--really wanted to love this place entirely!

Visited May 2014