“JB's Needs to Train it Staff”

JB's German Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 17 Dessert in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I have tried JB's twice. Both times it was not the food that was a problem (although the food is not even close to being German - been there many times), it was the service. Bless the people who work there, but they have not been properly trained or have not been empowered to think for themselves.

On Sunday, we stopped by around 10:30 on the way to the beach. My wife like the "european breakfast" option sometimes and thought JB's could handle it. The option calls for a roll with butter and jelly and she thought she could order some ham and cheese on the side.

The breakfast rolls were plentiful, but when my wife asked for the breakfast of "rolls, with jelly and butter" she was told that breakfast was over. She then order a croissant with "butter and Jelly." The young man responded sure! This surprised us since it was the same "breakfast" except that instead of a "breakfast roll" (which there were many left in the case) she had to accept a croissant. While we could have understood that no eggs were available, we simply could not understand why she could not have a breakfast roll and butter and jelly. The simply answer is she could have but the staff was too poorly trained and only heard the word "breakfast" and repeated, like a robot, the breakfast was over, even though all the materials for the breakfast were still available.

We will not give JB's another chance as it just does not seem to want to spend the time training its staff. It was not the young man's fault, but instead an indication that JB's does not really want to provide an exceptional experience, so that is exactly what it provides, ordinary. Too bad because the location is prime. I predict they will not last another year if they do not change as you need the locals not just the casual tourist.

1  Thank MickLori W
There are newer reviews for JB's German Bakery and Cafe

Reviewed July 24, 2013

JBs is a great place for breakfast,lunch, or to grab some freshly baked goods for a trip to the beach. We tried the belgian waffles and a veggie omelette, and picked up a couple of big German soft pretzels for lunch at the beach. The lady that took our order was nice enough to find a container for some mustard. The pastries are excellent, too. Beats the heck out of gas-station donuts.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a couple strudels that were delicious but when our German omelettes came they were so over cooked and salty we couldn't even eat them. Stick to bakery items at this place and you should be fine.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This place appears to be a hotspot for breakfast. Stayed busy the entire time. Limited menu when compared to other German bakeries I've been to, but nice.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I enjoyed eating at this wonderful bakery. The apple strudel is delicious. Even my grandmother who is extremely picky with her deserts loved the strudel. I recommend to eat the pork slice dish. The pork is delicious. My boyfriend had the german burger and he raved how delicious it was.