“Just what Padre Island needs” 5 of 5 bubbles

JB's German Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 14 Dessert in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: German, Cafe, European
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Jacksonville, NC
“Just what Padre Island needs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have visited this wonderful addition to the island food scene numerous times. I always have whatever quiche is the quiche of the day. This time it was tomato quiche made with cherry tomatoes. It was yummy! That and sugar cookies shaped like a surfer and surfboard were all I needed. I highly recommend taking an assortment from the bakery case home with you to enjoy later.

Visited May 2013

San Antonio, Texas
“Bad Attitude”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was my second trip to Corpus Christi this year and my second stop at JBS German Bakery and Cafe. On our first visit we had a lovely breakfast and really enjoyed our visit but on our second visit the service and attitude we received was not good at all. I always try to look the side of the workers but this time I was just not very pleased. It was a late breakfast and I asked for the Bratwurst with curry sauce and I was told, with attitude, that this was a lunch item and I could not have it. I did explain to the lady that I had the same item last time I was in, just a few weeks earlier and it was about the same time. But noooooo, could not have that item. So I ordered another item. When getting our coffee, my wife asked another server if we could not have the item I wanted and they said they would check. To my surprise I could have it. Our original server was not happy and told the new server she could wait on us. Not that I cared for the first servers feelings, but really...customer service is what makes and breaks restaurants. I just hope the owners replace some of their help. I will not revisit this restaurants and I will advise all my friends and family the same. Pity, the food is very good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DavidfromHitchin
Round Rock, TX
“My wife loved their Bee Sting cakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We visited this place 3 times during our 3-day vacation at Corpus Christi. My wife loved their bee sting cakes. We also had their lunch special. They were not heavy and good for a light lunch. It was very casual to eat there and good services.

Visited May 2013
Norristown, Pennsylvania
“Great bread and sandwhiches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were late for dinner so settled for a Reuben and the last Pork cutlet. My Reuben was fantastic - on toasted rye, of course! It came with an odd German potato salad and sauerkraut. It was a puddle of potato salad - don't know what else to say except that I did not like it. My husband liked his pork cutlets with sauerkraut which was sort of potato-y. We took our food out on the deck and enjoyed the cool breezes. Dessert was Apple Strudel which was quite good tho I'd have used less sugar and made a lighter crust. Total was just $22!
We came back a couple of times for the bread which is the best! We stocked up on rolls for the trip north and enjoyed them even the next day with lunch meat.

Visited April 2013
“Staff needs training”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Just finished lunch there. Not a good experience. My wife ordered a chicken strudel. I asked what made a Germanburger different. Counter person didn't know and had to find someone who did. After getting that info I ordered one, at that time my wife's lunch came out of the microwave! It took quite some time for my burger so my wife was done well before mine came out of the kitchen. I saw the kitchen person place my order on the counter and heard her yell "order". My burger sat there while the counter staff was selling pastries. I finally got up and asked if I could have mine before it got cold. It was given to me but I had to ask for tableware. I ate half of my lukewarm burger and asked for a box intending to bring he the leftovers so I could warm them and eat them hot. Not one person asked us how our food was or even acknowledged our meals weren't done at the same time. I would not go to this place again. The food isn't good enough to put up with their poor service.

• Visited May 2013