“Great atmosphere, have an appetizer here & dinner elsewhere.”
Review of Tavern On the Bay

Tavern On the Bay
Ranked #220 of 709 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: American, Healthy, Grill
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Love this place for a relaxing drink & appetizer. I sat on the small floating deck & really enjoyed the view & atmosphere. I had the calamari appetizer & it was OK, not great, but my entree was not good. Had the pecan crusted fried shrimp. The shrimp was nicely butterflied & huge, but the taste was horrible. The batter was not very crispy & didn't have much flavor. It had a horrible feel in the mouth like it was covered with dry flour. We both decided that it was baked instead of fried, even though it was on the fried shrimp section of the menu. The fried fish sandwich was fried & tasty, but the bread was soggy, so it's really not a sandwich as much as just fried fish. Go here if it's not too windy & watch the sun set over the city & sit outside. Have a few appetizers & drinks, then have your meal somewhere like Joe's.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I've been coming to Corpus several times a year (for the last 20+ years) and usually end up at the over priced (but good) Landry's when looking to dine in the bayfront area. I don't think I'd ever noticed this restaurant since it says it's a Yacht Club, but stopped on over the weekend to give it a try when I saw the building had a sign that said Harrison's on the Bay restaurant. It wasn't until I'd seen the charge on my AMEX that I saw the name of the restaurant was Tavern on the Bay. (I don't think I would have stopped to eat at a place called Tavern on the Bay...)

It was the Saturday of Texas Week (Spring Break) and though the entire area was busy, I was able to get a nice table for 3 in one of the two outdoor dining areas at about 5pm with almost no wait. Weather was picture perfect, so that's probably influencing my review a bit. Service was good, food was good, but the view and relaxed atmosphere was fantastic. My only complaint was that the table next to us had smokers. When I spoke to my server, he told me that I was in the "smoking section." I never would have knowingly accepted a seat in a smoking section since our 6 year old was with us. We ended up moving to another table, but I was a bit irritated to have to move because someone else was smoking. About half the crowd there was with children, I didn't notice any "spring breakers." Crowd was mostly 30-50 years old.

Pros: Reasonable prices (and good portions), great view, spacious setting, good service and good food. Bar prices also reasonable.
Cons: Smoking is permitted (I guess some might see this as a pro, but not me), bathrooms were awkward (unisex) and one was out of order, but they aren't what you'd expect for a restaurant anyway.

1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Very cool place. We had salmon with blueberry chipotle sauce and bacon wrapped shrimp stuffed with crab. Both were excellent. Also the crab balls were very tasty. The waiter was very friendly and helped with our selections. The atmosphere was lively and inviting. I highly recommend this place. :)

1  Thank honeyside
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Came down to Harrison's for what must be the 10th time in as many weeks. I've been watching this place and how it changes with the change in weather and I have to say that, when the weather is nice, they do a great job of making sure you still feel like youre somewhere in the Bahamas at a tiki bar. Service is always very nice and friendly, and its hilarious watching the staff interact it seems like they're all friends. The food is great (get the Tavern Feast or the Bill's Burger) and the drinks are heavy. THey pour 1.5oz as opposed to 1.0oz, and as someone who spent 11 years in the bar business, i recognize quality drinks when I see them. Bartender Dax is a goofball but its fun watching him work and he's great with conversation. When the weather is crummy, they have an upstairs dining room that has the best view in town. I've read other reviews commenting that the food is low quality, but I think its great especially for the price. If youre looking for a more expensive dish, go upstairs on the weekend and try the Landing Ravioli!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

A Tavern on the bay is an ok place to go for a drink with friends and is a dog friendly place. The food is straight forward and simple; nothing special. I have never seen blankets being offered in south Texas and it was nice on the cold night.

1  Thank Sprocket77