“The Internet wasn't exactly "express"”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi NW-Calallen
Ranked #36 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Los Angeles
“The Internet wasn't exactly "express"”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

This is a pretty average roadside chain hotel. Given that, my room was surprisingly pricey. About 160 bucks for a view of a flyover with all the usual trimmings. Annoyingly, my room had horrendously slow Internet. Overall it wasn't bad, exactly. Just so-so. Staff were nice. Breakfast somewhat iffy. Oh, and it's a good 45 minutes drive away from any vaguely decent bar or restaurant, so finding dinner is a slog

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Stayed here last weekend for a short, overnight business trip. I liked that I didn't have to criss-cross the city to get there...it is a few miles before your get to Corpus. We arrived at about 1:30am and the front desk lady was very friendly, prepared, and professional. The bellboy was also extremely helpful. The appearance is great, everything looks and feels new. The room was quiet and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast is not the greatest (the scrambled eggs seem to be powdered eggs) but not the worse either...they had a good variety of items and the pancake maker operates with just a press of a button so you don't have to mess around with any batter. I got up and ate much earlier than my wife. When she got up, it was almost 9:30am, the time they stop breakfast, so we rushed down so that she could eat. The lady there was very understanding and accommodating of my wife and so she allowed her an extra 10 minutes or so to take her time selecting anything she wanted before she began cleaning up and putting items away. I also requested a late-check out (2pm) since I was tired from driving so late the night before and wanted to go back to bed after my speaking engagement in the morning and they had no problem with that. I would definitely stay there again, it was a good choice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Salina
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Came for a visit with family in the area--stayed with reward points. They gave me a complimentary bottle of water upon check-in. There is a small pantry with drink machines, toiletries, snacks, etc. in the lobby. Hotel is fairly new. Desk clerks were nice and friendly. Nice bathroom--shampoo, conditioner, no lotion. Mattress was great. Four pillows on each queen bed. Nice, big tv that swiveled. Internet on my netbook was an issue. I finally went to the desk and asked for the ethernet cable and had no problem after that. Comp breakfast had milk/cereal, yogurt, ham strips, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, bananas, pancakes, oatmeal, bananas, various breads/toaster, nice warm cinnamon rolls. Coffee, juice and cocoa. To the north is a Mexican restaurant and BBQ restaurant, Burger King--all open for breakfast/lunch/dinner, a convenience place on the corner for a gas, beer, etc. Chili's and Papa John's pizza across the street from there--all within walking distance in my opinion. To the west directly across the highway is Walmart and more fast food, stores, liquor. Remember that the street in front of this hotel is one way to the north. So if you drive anywhere from here, you need to go back south on the highway about a quarter/half mile to get to a left turn around place to go back to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side may be noisy as it is across from the highway.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I’ve stayed at this Holiday Inn several times. It’s convenient if you are traveling from South Texas toward Houston on 59, or you don’t want to go into Corpus Christi. The hotel appears to be nearly new, however they were painting earlier in the year. The rooms are clean. The free breakfast is typical and good. The staff is friendly. They only negatives are being on a one-way access road that makes it a little difficult to get to. The other is the hotel appears to be used by a lot of oilfield or construction workers, who park their big trucks and trailers across multiple parking spots. Also because of its constant business travelers it’s not the least expensive Holiday Inn in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Arrived on July 28th only to have a sign on the pool that it was closed and to check with front desk. We did check with the front desk and the sweet girl working there was unaware to the pool being closed. She promised to check into what was going on and get back with us. She did call to explain that the pool needed chlorine tablets and that the maintenance person would be in the next morning to correct the problem. The next day I was told that the maintenance person had not shown up and they didn't know when the pool would be open. I have a five year old that is extremely disappointed not to have a pool on vacation. I'm thinking Chlorine tablets would be an easy fix but.....

Rooms are spacious and very clean. Did have problem with having our room cleaned. I was told housekeeping only check the rooms once for cleaning so if you happen to have the do not disturb sign on your door when they check than you will not have your room clean. We did have our sign up as we were getting ready but took it down before the checkout time of 11:00am however, our room was not cleaned. Disappointed not to have clean room when we returned but now we know to check with housekeeping when we leave the room each morning. We were able to get clean towels after taking our soiled ones down to the front desk. Now, that was fun!

Very decent hotel but we are terribly disappointed not to have a pool to enjoy. They have a great staff except for the young lady working the evening of our dirty room find. She had a poor attitude that was observed by another customer checking in....not good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed 3 nights at the hotel with my wife and 5 months old baby, it was simply the best stay! The room was so spacious, clean and very comfortable. The staff was excellent, the pool was great, there was a good fitness center downstairs, their free breakfast was really nice. Defiantly will stay again if we are in Corpus Christi.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2011

We arrived from out of town. We had reservations for 2 nights. The staff lost our reservations and the hotel was booked. The staff was less then helpful and the manager on duty was off the property. They put forth very little effort to try to help or accommodate us. I would keep on driving past this establishment. I would of expected better from Holiday Inn. Shame on you.

• Stayed June 2011