South Texas Botanical Gardens & Nature Center
More attraction details
Owner description: A tranquil respite from city stress, this collection of gardens soothes the soul with walking trails, 2500 varieties of orchids, an idyllic rose garden, desert and tropical flowers, wetlands, forest and many opportunities for bird watching.
Kerrville, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“gator hunt”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Due to the dry season we have had, the small lake had pretty much dried up but still found the elusive gator. Lots of birds to see too. Nice trails and friendly staff. Were the 1st ones there and they opened early for us.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Gt P

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Pathetic”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Probably the worst kept Botanical Gardens I have ever visited on this planet - complete rip off with zero value for money

Visited February 2013
6 Thank Martin J
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Bloomin Good Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My mother and I met at the South Texas Botanical Gardens and Nature Center to spend what we thought would be about an hour wandering around. We were certainly surprised when we did not get back into our cars until 3 hours later. We had a wonderful time and the entrance fee was exceptionally reasonable.

The grounds were so clean, and the staff very friendly. It's not exactly blooming season, yet there were plenty of flowers to see. On the grounds is an orchid house, bromeliad house, and a beautiful rose and herb garden. Along the trails are plenty of indigenous plants and wildlife with an occasional bird lookout, or shaded bench to rest on (made by a local boy scout troupe). There is also a loop trail if you want to stroll for a while.

In addition to plant life there is a darling butterfly enclosure and a reptile house. To top off the outdoorsy atmosphere there are quite a few bird cages with colorful chattering birds all over the gardens.

If you have little ones in tow they will delight at the darling playground, and a cute sit-down area near by. I asked a volunteer if I could bring a picnic next time we came and she said as long as we cleaned up after ourselves that was perfectly okay.

There is a really cute gift shop/area with some darling things. My mother and I decided we would be using the gift shop for future b-day and Christmas shopping.

Another thing I love...dogs are allowed. The next time I visit I will have my granddaughter, our dog and a picnic in tow. I can't wait.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Phoebe729
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“It could be better.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have been to several botanical gardens, including the Japanese Tea Gardens in San Fransisco, the Dallas Arboretum, and the botanical gardens in Austin. Compared to all of those, this garden center feels like something you'd expect in a small hick town. You can see the entire thing in less than an hour, and that's if you're walking slow.
Don't go in the summer, because it will be blazing hot, and everything will be dead. You might have a chance in the winter, if it's been raining, and you might see a few flowers here and there in the spring.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank KatHud7
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Its such a nice place to be and all the wonderful flowers and plants to see. love taking my family and friends to see all the beauty of nature.its a must see.

1 Thank JuanOrnelas