“Stinky ...... literally ........”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Corpus Christi
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Stinky ...... literally ........”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Unfortunately, my first choice, the Residence Inn next door was full so since this hotel was available and at the same location, I decided to book it.

My first impression was not favorable. It may have been overuse of cleaning fluid but when I walked in the door the smell in the lobby was pungent. Once I got to the floor my room was on the smell changed to a somewhat musty smell. The room itself smelled fine so I go over my initial concerns.

The room itself was ok. It was clean but the air conditioning unit sounded like an airplane was landing so I turned it off which was fine since the unit was on to the coldest setting and the room was quite "chilled".

I had the breakfast the next day. The usual array of bagels, bread, fruit and cereal.

I won't go back but I certainly wouldn't say it was the worst one I've been to. They are called Fairfield because you get the "fair" price for the basics. If you want more, take a step up in the chain. One note - the staff could not have been friendlier.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
TX
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Have stayed here several times on business over the last few years. I get older, as does this property. Several chain restaurants nearby are an easy walk.

Employees have always been friendly & rooms have always been clean.

Some new carpet, larger breakfast area, and a breakfast menu redo would help this old gal. When schlepping luggage after a long day, automatic lobby doors would be a welcome update too.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Franklin, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The room was clean - but we were assigned to a handicap room - no easy chair - worn furniture. Basic breakfast- heat your own premade sandwich in a microwave!

Definitely will stay elsewhere!

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed here for a night before heading up to another hotel at Port A. The price was cheap and check-in was pretty smooth. The counter clerk wore latex gloves for some as yet unknown reason. I've stayed in maybe a hundred different Marriott hotels all over the world and never saw that before. Maybe a future guest can break the secret. The clerk notified us that the floors had been cleaned in the morning but that they should be nearly dry by now. Part of the elevator had this weird random sanded metal look that seemed to be covering up some sort of prior defacement. When we got to our floor we noticed the carpet was still pretty damp both inside and outside our room. I appreciate that they clean their floors but sometimes hotels can make the situation worse by using cleaning companies that leave a sticky and/or smelly residue on the carpet. In this case there appeared to be no such residue or chemical smell so that's a plus. It was still too damp to walk on though so that was a negative. Using flip-flops solved the problem and avoided having to find another hotel at the last minute. I just wish they had opened the windows or something to get the carpet dryer before evening. The room seemed a decent size to me. Not very large but not to small either. I pack light and there was plenty of room if you don't need to bust out the kitchen sink. The flat panel TV was modern and large enough to catch-up on the NBA playoffs. Some in-room annoyances included a fire sprinkler that was missing a bezel (looked tacky), ugly old light switch at the door, a malfunctioning set of power sockets at the desk, and no fridge or microwave (normally very common in this area). On the plus side the bathroom was nice and clean with plenty of towels and everything bathroom related seemed to work well. The free internet seemed to work fine, including for VPN access to corporate networks. I didn't hear much from my neighbors so no complaints there. The outside lighting is so incredibly bright you'll need to close all the shades just to get things dark in the room. Seriously, it's brighter than any parking lot I've ever seen in my life. I get the feeling some bad stuff may have happened in one of these parking lots in the past but today there are enough lights to kill any shadows that may have existed in the past. Outside the room I haven't seen a hotel pool this small and uninspired since the 1980's. It looks like it's only there to add another bullet to the brochure or website page. You also have access to the Resident Inn pools, but the water in those pools looked a little, well, odd. I'm not sure what the story was over there but at least the water in the Fairfield pool looked normal for a pool. The location is next to some other mid-market hotels and a big-box supermarket and bookstore. You'll be about 15-20 minutes from the beach. Basically it's nothing special but nothing terrible either. Stay here if you can get a really good price. If not keep on looking.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank daxomni
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We stayed three nights with 3 kids. We chose this hotel for the value. The rooms were very small and the beds were horrible! Usually Marriotts have good mattresses, but these were too soft and bumpy. I liked the option of using the outdoor pool at Fairfield or the indoor pools at the two neighboring hotels. We also used the laundry room next door. It was at least a 15-20 minute drive to the beaches at Padre. The Corpus Christi beach was filthy. Padre beaches were nice. The housekeeping was fabulous! Our housekeeper even folded the towels in a fancy way. :)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2010

For what we paid, I was disappointed! The staff would tell you they will do one thing and then do another. Not helpful at all and a little rude. They overcharged me $200, which I am still attempting to get corrected. The beds are comfortable, but if you need a fridge and microwave, stay somewhere else because they are not standard in all rooms. Pool; well besides the fact that you can see the dirt in the bottom, it was okay. I love Fairfield but this one was a disappointment! The breakfast was good, but it is in a little run down room that is cramped and hard to get around unless you are the only one in it. We ended up staying somewhere else for the rest of our vacation.

• Stayed March 2011
Kearney, Missouri
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stayed for just 1 night prior to catching a flight out of Corpus. The hotel was very clean and comfortable, Rooms and bedding were comfortable. The breakfast area was a little better than I expected, but mostly typical for this type of hotel. Very convenient to multiple shoppong options and to the highways to get around town. I woud not want to spend a long time here, just based on the size/amenities of the hotel and rooms, but for a night or two it was very comfortable and affordable.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family