“Slightly better than average for the price”

Extended Stay America - Corpus Christi - Staples
Ranked #45 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Dallas, TX
“Slightly better than average for the price”
Reviewed March 22, 2009

My family stayed for four nights at the Extended Stay Deluxe in Corpus for Spring Break 2009. We saw several dumpy hotels out near the causeway, on Padre Island, and in Aransas Pass advertising rooms for the same price we paid. Extended Stay provided coffee and plain bagels almost every morning. I’m tempted to say something about coffee/bagels only on weekends, but the offering was so spartan, that it’s just not worth it.

We stayed in one of two handicapped rooms due to a family member on crutches. The room was clean, the bathroom fixtures were up-to-date (i.e. 30 years old and rusting), and the small kitchenette was adequate for our needs. “Daily refresh services” (e.g. vacuuming, making the bed, fresh towels, and removing trash) was $3/day extra. There were a few dishes and one packet of dish-washer powder for the automatic dishwasher. The handicapped shower flooded the bathroom every time we used it, but we’re innovative people, so we found ways to de-flood the bathroom.

The bottom line: This place was slightly better than average at this price point, and yes, we would stay again to avoid paying Spring Break peak-prices elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Edinburg, Tx
Reviewed January 19, 2009

The purpose for the stay was due to a surgery my mother was having. The hotel was the closest to the surgical center. Right from the get go the staff was so friendly and recieving and met her every needs. They took into account that she was there for surgery and took time to accomodate any needs she may have pre and post surgery. Thanks again to the great staff there.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank amendoza8
RED OAK
Reviewed December 12, 2008

Booking from hotwire for the first time I was nervous, did not know what or where we were staying. But the price sure was good! When we arrived "wow". We loved the location, and the staff was wonderful,the room was exceptionally clean, and the beds were so comfortable,not like anyother bed in anyother hotel. They had nice wooden floors,which helped my allergies.Yes, next time we travel we will stay with extended hotels. And I've also recommended friends to hotwire, and extended stay.

• Liked — overall everything
  • Disliked — liked everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank redroseRedOak
DFW
Reviewed November 21, 2008

I had a excellent stay. My son was in the hospital at Christus Spohn South and the hotel personnel were very kind and offered a special rate for hospital visiting. The hotel is close to many shops and a grocery store. The hotel was very clean and very peaceful.

• Liked — cleanliness and proximity to hospital
  • Disliked — no vending machine on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank villageofone
Austin
Reviewed April 11, 2008

We stayed at the Extended Stay suites recently, wanting to be close to the island. It's not. Seeing as how the place is being kept up, I think it's on a sharp downhill slide.

Start with checkin. The front desk clerk told us she was going to upgrade us (1 adult, 2 kids) to a larger suite (yay!), because their normal rooms only had one queen bed. We trucked our stuff up to the room, and lo and behold, the keys didn't work. So we trucked our stuff back down, told the clerk, and she gave us a different room -- this one not upgraded (psych!).

The room itself was good enough. Comfortable bed, comfortable couch just big enough for my 10-year-old to sleep on, and a lounger that folded out. Problem is, it was clearly not a nonsmoking room, and it reeked. We kept the windows open the whole time.

The kitchen portion of the suite was unstocked. One plate, one saucer, and NO CUPS OF ANY KIND (not anywhere). There was a coffee maker, but I had to drink my morning coffee straight out of the carafe.

The wall-mounted a/c unit was completely useless. Parts kept falling off of it, and the control knobs were gone. Using pliers, I tried to turn the stubs but they were completely stripped. So rather than have cold air blast me all night, I just unplugged it. (Fortunately the temperature was mild outside, so this was not a huge problem).

Bathroom was adequate. Soap was provided, but no shampoo.

The worst part was the pool. I took my daughter outside to go swimming, and there was a dead black bird floating in the pool. By appearances, it had been there some time. I get the impression the pool isn't used too much.

All in all, I don't see a whole lot of future in this place. It's off the highway by a mile or so, so in order to find it you have to really be looking for it. Problem is, I can't imagine why anyone would WANT to look for it.

• Stayed April 2008
Duluth, Mn
Reviewed March 13, 2007

I'm a sucker for a deal- but the $50/night rate is not enough to ever make me stay here again. The staff proudly display their "lowest ranked location" and "labor" mock trophies at the front desk - what a way to start a stay. If you desire any amenities of a hotel - this is not your place. You have to bring your towels down and exchange them each day, I asked for a pillow case twice - was told one would be left for me in the room and finally had to interrupt foul-mouthed waitstaff BSing in the back room to get one- which was crumpled and stained. You have to ask for any shampoo or more than one tiny bar of soap. There were big red stains on the carpet- a cheerful red though so we decided it was fruit punch not blood. The foyer was set up with breakfast supplies, but we were told there wasn't any breakfast service. When I called the front desk to report the television didn't work - she giggled and said she didn't know what to tell me. I had to take apart the wiring and fix it myself to get a weather report. The work out room STINKS- in a toxic way - like the rubber floor mats. This hotel is out in the middle of nowhere. It did have pleasant landscaping, a fairly comfortable bed (if you are able to get a pillow with a case) and a clean bathroom. You can do much better!

• Liked — Comfortable bed- nice palm trees outside.
  • Disliked — Everything else was unpleasant to say the least.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank sweeetcharity
Friendswood, TX
Reviewed February 4, 2007

They say the third time is the charm. This is the third hotel I've stayed at in Corpus, all three all-suite properties (Homewood, Residence, and Extended Stay). This is the only one of the three with a full-size, normal bathtub. Also the only one with a range. And it was half the price of the other two. The rooms were clean. The bed was small (full size) and hard (I like it that way). They have some kind of Martha Stewart decor going on that I didn't care for. And the hotel has to be one of the furthest out in Corpus, way out on Staples near the Botanical Gardens. One thing that bugged me was the elevator inspection certificate was a year overdue.

Stayed February 2007