“A gem in a strip mall”

Dining options: Reservations
Madison, South Dakota
“A gem in a strip mall”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We went back here for dinner, the first time we've had more than lunch. We enjoyed dinner even more than we did our lunches. I'm not sure why more people don't review this place; its food is superb, the tastes are exquisite. The dinner entree prices of ~$15-20 didn't strike us as high unless you are comparing them to standard "Chinese restaurant" menu items. But this isn't your standard strip mall Chinese restaurant. Not only are the tastes mouth-watering, the presentation is designed to delight the eye as much as the palette. Some reviews of this establishment seem critical of the fact that the food is not "authentic" Vietnamese or Thai. In fact, the restaurant is really "Asian fusion" and the dishes are designed to blend the essence of Asian cooking into tantalizing creations. We started with a Vietnamese crepe which was wonderful. We both had tamarind-seasoned main courses and the chef blended that pungent sour fruit with just the right amount of sweetness. We continue to enjoy the fact that the tables are placed far enough away from each other to ensure a peaceful ambiance. This is a place for quiet conversation and the contemplation of excellent food. Not something you find all that often these days.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank docj9000

“Rude”
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

I tend to eat alone, and after seeing the reviews I thought I'd check this place out. When I walked in, it was empty, even if it was a bit awkward, I sat down and ordered a water to drink since I don't drink anything but water. I then overhear the manager look at me and say, "shes making me lose money" or something along those lines. I'm quite shy, and that really hurt my feelings, so I left before ordering. I tip well, I don't know what his problem was. I eat alone everywhere.

3 Thank Silemanx
corpus christi
“Enjoyable Experience”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My wife and I recently had dinner here and we were pleasantly surprised. The dinner menu was reasonably priced and the atmosphere was much nicer than what we expected from its exterior. The wait staff were friendly and the owner even came to make sure everything was fine. Both entrees were extremely tasty. We will be eating here again!

1 Thank thl65
san antonio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“When in Corpus Christi stop by here!”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Green Papaya Asian Grill came highly recommend and wow they were right. Fantastic place. I aslo highly recommend it.

1 Thank GBroNelson
Manhattan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wow. Never expected to find such food in South Texas!”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We were in Corpus Christi visiting family. I am notoriously picking, esp when it comes to Asian food. And service at family restaurants tends to irritate me; not endear me.

So it was a Very Pleasant surprise to discover the Green Papaya. I have never had such wonderful Asian cuisine outside of NYC. We ate there twice daily for three days, and were not the least bit tired of it. I don't even know where to begin with picking my favorite dish, so I wont try. Instead, I'll tell you that the service was also wonderful, and warm (but not overbearing... like too many family operations can be).

Don't go to Corpus without sitting down at the Green Papaya!
You will not be disappointed!

1 Thank DanFoodLover