“Nice place to stop for breakfast.”
Review of Bob Hall Pier

Bob Hall Pier
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: Pier that is open to the public 24 hours a day for fishing
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Good place to go fishing or stop by to eat a quick breakfast and coffee at the patio. I love hearing the ocean while having breakfast. Very reasonable in price about 12 dollars for 2 coffees and 2 breakfast tocos.

All reviews
"mays"
"shark"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed July 31, 2011

I tried the in-shore places on the highway out to Padre Island, but nothing was moving. Drove out the "Bob" in time to get a great cheeseburger - absolutely worth the trip. As the night set in the pier was full of people and kids. Lines tangled ever so often, no one get angry because it's part of the adventure. Around midnight most of the kids had gone home and it was easier to move about. The "T" head had several shark fishermen whole the rest of the pier were catching a wide assortment of things. A hardhead is a small catfish with sharp barbs that is always hungry - these bait steelers are easy to catch - fun for the kids, but you have to be careful of the barbs that stick out from behind their gill area. I use a pair of forceps to get the hook out.
I saw others catch shark, sheephead and red fish. I caught little stuff, but next time I'll come prepared:
*I'll plan to stay the night and bring water and snacks to see me through.
*I'll use cut mullet, squid and Berkley Gulp Alive artificial shrimp and shad - these are scented baits and have worked well for me before. I've caught my limit of (sea) trout on Berkley Gulp and will use them on my next trip.
*There is a sign that says you can't bring beer onto the pier. But I saw people go into the restaurant and come out with beer cans - others simply ignored the sign. Can you drink - no. Do people drink on the pier - absolutely.
*If you go in the day - use sunscreen.

8  Thank Solar-sailor
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We always make time to go fishing when we come to the coast. Usually we are out playing at the beach or area attractions during the day and we come out here at night to Bob Hall Pier. I've never eaten at the restaurant but I heard it was good. It is very windy out on the pier and can be cold in the winter, and pretty comfortable or hot other times of the year depending on the wind. Every time I've been (probably 8-9 times) it has been so windy that I've needed a wind breaker jacket. Be sure to bring a chair along with your fishing stuff. Alot of people have all their fishing gear on a rolling cart, we ended up buying one while we were at the coast for this purpose. We have caught small sharks, drum, redfish and other stuff that I can't remember. I'm usually hanging out reading my book while my husband and son are doing the fishing. There is a nice beach around the pier if you have some non-fishing type people with you, they can go play on the beach. My son caught a hermit crab there and it made his day! Also there are restrooms nearby which is pretty important in my opinion.

I think it cost $1 per person last time we were there (Dec 2009) to get on the pier. Parking is free.

What to bring:
a cooler with some ice cold drinks, a radio, chairs, fishing gear, bait, fishing license, wind breaker (depending on what time of year), something to take your fish home in. Toys for playing on the beach (if desired). Hand sanitizer for all the moms out there.

The closest hotel is the Island House Condos, you can drive on the beach from the condos and not have to get on a road. I like to roll down the windows and open up the sunroof and drive on the beach.

7  Thank tripcasey
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Good food, good price, great service, ok for kids (it is a bar!) but no view and cant walk the pier!

4  Thank chrissmaz