“Interesting to see the inside of an aircraft carrier”
Review of USS LEXINGTON

USS LEXINGTON
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visitors can tour the most highly decorated Essex Class aircraft carrier of World War II.The 16-story "Blue Ghost" displays military artifacts and more than a dozen aircraft.5 Tour Routes,3D MEGA Theater,Ship's Store,Mess Deck and Flight Simulator. National Historic Landmark located on North Beach.Elevator from the Hangar Deck to the Flight Deck is now available.Welcome Aboard!
Walnutport, Pennsylvania
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Interesting to see the inside of an aircraft carrier”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Not crowded in January, which was cool. We were free to wander on the self-guided tours. Be ready for lots of stairs, but we liked that. There are airplanes on the deck for the aviation fans (like me).

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tyler, Texas
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Outstanding, but don't go if you have physical issues limiting walking ability”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My review will totally confuse you because it is so different than a couple of the previous reviews.
First, to see all of the tours and really read the information, you better plan on being there most of the day. There is no way possible to see everything in a couple of hours unless you are a speed reader and a track star. The people working the day we were there were very friendly starting with the gentleman that drove you up the ramp to the Lexington. The one person that we did ask questions, had the answers, but that was only one person. Many of the things we would have had questions about on the ship itself were things my brother talked about as we went thru. He served for several years in the Navy in submarines so he was familiar with most of the things we had questions about.
There are 5 separate areas to tour on the ship, including one area that had a whole exhibit area about the original USS Lexington (CV2).
There are numerous displays and exhibits in all 5 of the tour areas. The only thing I was disappointed in was the 3D movie. It had nothing to do with the Lexington. The only thing it was good for was sitting down and resting between touring the different areas.
The food area was adequate to get something to eat. Prices weren't incredibly high like you see at some attractions, but there also wasn't a great variety.
You better be in relatively decent shape to take the tour. In most areas of the tour there are tight spaces and fairly steep stairs. Besides the stairs, there are a whole lot of portal doorways to get thru. There are also areas with under 6 feet of clearance.
If you go thru all 5 areas that you can tour, I guarantee you that you will feel like you've gotten a pretty good workout for the day. I would not suggest this for anyone that has any major issues getting around physically. I have a very bad back that affects my walking at times. We went the day we did because I was having about as good a day as I can with my back. I made it thru all 5 areas with the help of medication, and some sitting, and gritting my teeth thru some of it at the end of the day. I knew starting the day I might not make all of the tour, so covering the whole ship was a bonus even thought I came off of it hurting. It was worth it.

3 Thank boilers78
Newport, Michigan
“CV2 vs CV16”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The first people you meet when you board are not very friendly or knowledgeable. The ship is typical of any aircraft carrier. I was a little disappointed that there was not that much info on the original USS Lexington CV2 which is what this ship was named after. A lot of sailors died in the battle in the Coral Sea and I felt this ship should have had more to show in memory of all that died and the small number that survived. I tried contacting the people in charge via emails and phone calls but absolutely no one returned my inquiries. I guess they aren't interested in the history of the CV2.

Swisher, Iowa
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“USS Lexington”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Plan for at least two hours to visit. The ship will especially be interesting to those who are history buffs or military (my son is currently in the military and really enjoyed seeing how things used to be). There are several planes to see and can tour various areas of the ship. It's well worth it to find a volunteer docent to talk about the ship. Look for the former Japanese flag painted on the ship where a Kamakaze hit the Lexington. To get the most out of the ship, it would be help to be fairly mobile but one can still enjoy part of the ship without climbing up or down stairs. Be sure to take your military ID for a discount.

2 Thank Natalie P
Seguin, Texas
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Fabulous American History”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My second visit to the Lexington, and it was just as exciting as the first. The sense of awe at the level of work to create this enormous ship. The appreciation for our heroes who crewed it. The work by the staff to maintain it. This is a great reason to schedule a family vacation in Corpus Christi.

Visited December 2013