“Could be better”

Padre Island National Seashore
More attraction details
Owner description: A 15-minute drive from downtown Corpus Christi transports you to this magnificent 70-mile stretch of white sand beach, scenic dunes and warm ocean water, offering ideal conditions for swimming, fishing, beach-combing, windsurfing, camping, bird-watching and viewing wildlife.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The beach is nice, but the park is located a long way from Corpus Christi. You have to be extremely careful where you drive as it is easy to get stuck in the sand. If you have one, take your National Park card and you will save the entry fee. There are other beaches closer to C.C. that are just as nice.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,629)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"picnic tables"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I know it's outside of the park's control, but there was entirely too much seaweed in the water. It kept tangling around me as I tried to swim. Maybe it was the time of year or maybe it was our particular location on the beach. Either way, it was a deal breaker for me

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Definitely worth getting up at the crack of dawn to see these little critters enter the ocean. The poark does a fine job of sharing this fantastic event with the public whether you are a kid or an adult.

1  Thank gloriamaris
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have to start by saying I was born in Hawaii. In addition to that, I lived on Midway Island for 2 years, the Philippines for 4, Southern California and Northern California and Hampton, Virginia (near Virginia Beach). I have also been to Destin and Pensacola, FL several times as well as several Caribbean Islands while cruising. I LOVE beaches and the whiter and softer the sand, the better. At least when it comes to swimming. I came for the first time to this beautiful stretch of island in January with my Aunt. I live in San Antonio and needed a beach break. I purchased the annual pass ($10 for a day, $20 for annual) knowing I would be coming back several times during the year. Because I live in San Antonio, this is the closest beach (with waves) to me. I can be here in under 3 hours. Though I didn't swim in January, I did enjoy a beautiful day of sunshine and walking on the pristine beach. I was in shorts and a tank top and even got a tan--in January! I came back last week with my Goddaughter for a little Texas Coastal Road Trip and we spent a day here. We swam in the prefect temperature water and enjoyed the waves. While there is some seaweed (more like a soft grass) along the shore, it doesn't grab onto you and surround you while in the water (like on lots of So Cal beaches). We did see a couple of small jellyfish while swimming but did not get stung. The visitor center and gift shop on the boardwalk (Malaquite Beach) is wonderful. You can rent boogie boards, umbrellas and chairs if needed or purchase them and any other souvenirs (and snacks) you may want. The bathroom facilities and outdoor rinse showers are also great. I used to tell people I would rather drive to Pensacola (about 12 hours) then spend the day at a Texas beach. NO MORE!!! This is my new favorite beach and I will be back as often as possible! The sand was soft and white, the water a perfect temperature for swimming and the waves great for playing/bodysurfing/boogieboarding. When I need a beach fix (which happens often), I will just load up my car and head here!

4  Thank Teresa V