“Great Aquarium for Children”

Texas State Aquarium
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover the amazing underwater world of the Texas State Aquarium! Thousands of animals representing over 460 different species are ready to enchant, entertain, and inspire you. Corpus Christi's most popular cultural attraction has welcomed over 12 million visitors since its grand opening in July 1990. Conveniently located on North Beach, the Texas State Aquarium is just minutes from Corpus Christi's downtown district, convention center complex, and museums. Every visit to the Texas State Aquarium is a new and exciting discovery of animals that remind us all of our responsibility to those whose world we share. The Aquarium is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and is a member of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The Aquarium's mission is to engage people with animals, inspire appreciation for our seas, and support wildlife conservation.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had visited the Lexington with our Cub Scout Pack and decided since the aquarium was next door that we would see what they had to offer. We were there as soon as they opened so we have the opportunity to take our time and not worry about crowds. They don't have a lot of exhibits but the ones they do have our nice and educational. My boys really enjoyed the Dolphin Show which was the best thing they have. The price seemed a little high for the size and number of exhibits. I would suggest just knowing that you may not be getting all you expect for your money. But if you need something to do to pass a few hours and your kids love sea creatures and animals, it is a good place to visit.

1  Thank TinkaS16
Write a ReviewReviews (2,027)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"gift shop"
in 53 reviews

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Texas State Aquarium is smaller but has a lot to offer. They offer many interactive activities and shows including animal show and touch, watching the scuba diver feed the fish, a dolphin show, and petting the stingrays among others. We went during the off season and really appreciated all the personal attention we received from the staff. There's an outdoor splash pad that looked really nice, but since we went in February, it was closed. The size, shows, and splash pad are perfect for younger children, although I have to admit I enjoyed it as a parent. The only down side and reason that I didn't give it 5 stars, is the price. It seemed high and you have to pay an additional $5 for parking. There is quite a bit of street parking available within easy walking distance, but be warned that the meters only take quarters. Also if you're military, they supposedly offer discounted tickets through the local ITTs.

1  Thank kvp120
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This dolphin show must be one of the best in the world. It was presented with lots of humor, a real show to please everyone. The dolphins are amazing, doing incredible leaps and tricks. Their trainers are real experts--you can tell from the way they interact with and give instructions to the dolphins. I'd go back to see it again anytime.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I paid $16.95 for what I think was a senior ticket and managed to eke out one hour at this place. I was killing time while my husband was at the Lexington, which he loved. The aquarium is not awful. I think it would be great for kids except for the price. I saw many famlies there, and I can't imagine how they afford it. There is a cute spray park as you are leaving. But for the most part, the exhibits lacked creativity, lacked inspiration. Tank here; tank there. Cheap looking murals. I have seen zoos with better aquariums. Overpriced gift shop, too, with uninspired merchandise.