“Run Away! Do not stay here. Welcome to the ghetto!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC - Oxon Hill

Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC - Oxon Hill
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Oxon Hill
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Run Away! Do not stay here. Welcome to the ghetto!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I can't believe this place represents the Red Roof chain. I filed a complaint with corporate after the lady at the front desk said, and I quote (" Sorry,I guess to you we all look alike ..huh?") My jaw dropped!! I had to endure 4 weeks of staying here. They didn't tell me I had to register every week so on Saturday morning they sent the police to my door beating on it telling me I need to get out. I told him I had a four week reservation and he said that's not his problem. I had to go to the front desk and they said this was standard procedure. You can't believe the attitudes here. They are rude, unapologetic,bull headed and stubborn here. They just don't give a crap. The area is dangerous. There is always a cop in the parking lot. The rooms have bugs in them. I woke up in the morning and a roach actually managed to crawl his way into my lighter!! (I will attach photo soon) I hope you think twice about stopping here. I wouldn't wish this place on anyone!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Stevo4256

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I travel a lot throughout US and Latin America and have stayed in very poor and humble hotels, specially in Latin America, but this is, by far, the filthiest, disgusting place I've had the bad luck to stay at.

First of all, we arrived by 8.00 pm and the lobby was already closed for "safety" reasons. That gave me an initial idea of where I was. We had to go to a small room, where there is a vending machine and ice maker and a window to the lobby where the front desk person would check you in, but the room was hot as hell.

My reservation was not right, of course.
The person checking us in managed to get us the three rooms, only after begging her to do so.
We all asked for non-smoking rooms and the actual rooms had non-smoking signs but smelled like the hell.

Carpet was filthy and sticky, walls were stained.

Shocked, I walked out to my friends room to find out wether I had been the "lucky one" getting this room. Turns out theirs were the same filthy ratholes.

We had to leave, smelling like we had been at the smokiest bar in the world.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank LunaAtMiami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

The price was reasonable but it kinda seems like a shelter the way people hang around outside all day. Room was reasonably clean, free wifi.......

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank NikiaE
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I was traveling to the area for a funeral. I was early Saturday morning approx. 5am. I called to see if there were any rooms available the desk clerk said yes. Upon our arrival, approx. 5:45am, I proceeded to check-in. The clerk said he would have to charge me for the entire night if I checked in at the current time. I then asked what would be the earliest I could check in, he replied 11am. I explained that I had a funeral to attend that started a 10am and all I need was a place to freshen up and change clothes and I was planning to stay for the the next day or so. I asked if there was anything he could do to help. He said no. Desperate and pressed for time I took the room only to later find out that had we waited another hour and 15 to 20 minutes, they could have checked us in if there were rooms available, which there was, and they would not have charged me for a full night to just freshen up, brush my teeth, and change my clothes. After the services were over I explained the situation to the manager. He explained to me that this is the way they conduct business and made no concessions about his clerk giving misinformation or no information at all. They charge me $109.00 for two hours and check me out of the room before I returned from the funeral. I was planning to stay another night but after all of that I looked else where and found a brand new hotel in the SpringHill Suites for the same price, continental breakfast, much cleaner facility, PROFESSIONAL SERVICE, and a helpful staff. I travel for my job and I have had some trying times but never one as bad as the lack luster service and pss poor professionalism as I received at the Oxon Hill, MDI RED ROOF INN. I would sleep on the street before I stayed there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank oxonhillmd
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

I went on one of the hotel websites to check out costs and found Red Roof for $79 per night. The website sent me a confirmation but never got with the hotel. I was upset. So, my room rate was reduced to $69 for the one night I stayed. I thought it was a good deal. The check in process was easy. Free internet use w/ my laptop. The room was clean. Okay, so the sink was plugged and it bleched a few times as the water was draining.

Then there was a lot of noise at night. People were talking loud. I mean at 11:30 pm. A family got up and left at 3:30 am and obviously didn't realize that people were sleeping. They kept screaming to each other. None of these people had the common sense to be quiet. Too much loud noise. It was hard to get to sleep and it wasn't pleasant.

I told the manager in charge and they were rude to me about my telling them to police the noise at night! I am the customer.

Check out the other hotels though before you make a reservation. If you make reservations from a hotels website, triple check so that they have your reservation.

If I go back to Oxon Hill or the DC area, I will have a list of other hotels so I totally understand the property.

This place was too noisy for me to get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank braingal
ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

Decided to book here when going to washington for sights.Found the hotel fine and the staff friendly but the area oxon hill was terrible. Didnt feel save their at all. Went to local bar the first night and realised the area was a getto. Long distance out from DC sites. Car essentinal to get to local subway.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank tyrlo
txbluemoon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

The first 3 nights of our trip we stayed at a Best Western for $113 per night. The 4th night was jumping up to $180. We didn't know what a good deal we had.

To save some money, we found this Red Roof for $85 a night. NO POOL, no free internet, only 2 towels in a double room, beds that made you hurt the next morning, no vending machines, no breakfast, no ironing boards & irons, no microwaves, NO INTERNET and NO POOL.

It was very quiet, clean, renovated very nice, seemed like a much nicer neighborhood than where we were before (downtown DC), plenty of places to eat, but did I mention that there was NO POOL! You can't go on vacation with kids and have NO POOL! Definately an $85 a night room.

The public library was close, and got a 30 minute visitors pass to use the internet to print our boarding passes for the flight the next morning. Saved money on hotel, but had to rent a car for $200 for 2 days to drive to musuems. Did we actually save any money? NO-and didn't get any comfort either. Took a week to get the aches out of my shoulder.

• Liked — neighborhood
  • Disliked — no pool & no internet & no breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank txbluemoon
Hampton Inn & Suites National Harbor/Alexandria Area
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
The Westin Washington National Harbor
Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC - Oxon Hill? Share your experiences!