“Great location for DC” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Oxon Hill
Buenos Aires
“Great location for DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

A standard Red Roof. Clean & comfortable room. Very quick access to Alexandria and southern DC area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
3 Thank josefc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oxon Hill, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We arrived at 11:00 p.m. from Upstate NY, not knowing the area at all and thinking since it's close to Mt. Vernon, etc., it would be upscale. The first tip-off should've been the locked lobby and the clerk behind glass. But since it was so late, we paid and went to our room -- only to find it hadn't been cleaned, beds unmade, unflushed filthy toilet. Should've left then...but took another room. Carpets are stained; upholstery is dirty and soiled; sheets are thin, gray and full of holes. Yuk. I went back to ask for additional sheets to toss over the blankets (who in their right mind would touch a hotel blanket?) and the clerk said they're "locked up." Locked from who? Only he feels safe, certainly not us when the parking lot is full of loitering ghetto types, shirtless, dirty men smoking and tossing butts in the parking lot. It's only midnight and I can't wait to leave in the morning -- just hoping our nice Suburban will still be here -- with windows intact. We're sleeping with the AC turned off to listen for breaking glass.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank trammell55

Travelers are raving about these Oxon Hill hotels

Oxon Hill, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I'm staying here for a couple nights until I get over a cold (so my friends don't catch it), but this place is big time ghetto. Driving up I saw people fighting in the middle of a parking lot. The management hides behind bullet proof glass. People just walk around aimlessly at night. The walls are so thin I can hear every word said clearly. Loud music plays at random times (like 1:30 AM). I was thinking of taking a trip to see the capital, but I fear for my safety on the long walk to the metro (4 miles)... and I'm a 6'3" 27 yr old male. They do have wireless internet, but it is not fast enough to stream low quality youtube videos. The room is clean, but has that musty smoked-in cheap hotel smell. Four of the seven total lights work. The sign on the door says that the hotel is only liable for $300 if you get robbed unless your items are in the safe (yes, there's a safe in the room). When I got here, a cop car was sitting in the parking lot, but he left 10 minutes later and I haven't seen another. I'll be staying in the room my entire stay. If you want my advice, bring a gun, otherwise avoid this place like the plague. Lots of fast food places nearby though.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank nullhed
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I can't believe this place represents the Red Roof chain. I filed a complaint with corporate after the lady at the front desk said, and I quote (" Sorry,I guess to you we all look alike ..huh?") My jaw dropped!! I had to endure 4 weeks of staying here. They didn't tell me I had to register every week so on Saturday morning they sent the police to my door beating on it telling me I need to get out. I told him I had a four week reservation and he said that's not his problem. I had to go to the front desk and they said this was standard procedure. You can't believe the attitudes here. They are rude, unapologetic,bull headed and stubborn here. They just don't give a crap. The area is dangerous. There is always a cop in the parking lot. The rooms have bugs in them. I woke up in the morning and a roach actually managed to crawl his way into my lighter!! (I will attach photo soon) I hope you think twice about stopping here. I wouldn't wish this place on anyone!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Stevo4256
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I travel a lot throughout US and Latin America and have stayed in very poor and humble hotels, specially in Latin America, but this is, by far, the filthiest, disgusting place I've had the bad luck to stay at.

First of all, we arrived by 8.00 pm and the lobby was already closed for "safety" reasons. That gave me an initial idea of where I was. We had to go to a small room, where there is a vending machine and ice maker and a window to the lobby where the front desk person would check you in, but the room was hot as hell.

My reservation was not right, of course.
The person checking us in managed to get us the three rooms, only after begging her to do so.
We all asked for non-smoking rooms and the actual rooms had non-smoking signs but smelled like the hell.

Carpet was filthy and sticky, walls were stained.

Shocked, I walked out to my friends room to find out wether I had been the "lucky one" getting this room. Turns out theirs were the same filthy ratholes.

We had to leave, smelling like we had been at the smokiest bar in the world.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank LunaAtMiami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

The price was reasonable but it kinda seems like a shelter the way people hang around outside all day. Room was reasonably clean, free wifi.......

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank NikiaE
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I was traveling to the area for a funeral. I was early Saturday morning approx. 5am. I called to see if there were any rooms available the desk clerk said yes. Upon our arrival, approx. 5:45am, I proceeded to check-in. The clerk said he would have to charge me for the entire night if I checked in at the current time. I then asked what would be the earliest I could check in, he replied 11am. I explained that I had a funeral to attend that started a 10am and all I need was a place to freshen up and change clothes and I was planning to stay for the the next day or so. I asked if there was anything he could do to help. He said no. Desperate and pressed for time I took the room only to later find out that had we waited another hour and 15 to 20 minutes, they could have checked us in if there were rooms available, which there was, and they would not have charged me for a full night to just freshen up, brush my teeth, and change my clothes. After the services were over I explained the situation to the manager. He explained to me that this is the way they conduct business and made no concessions about his clerk giving misinformation or no information at all. They charge me $109.00 for two hours and check me out of the room before I returned from the funeral. I was planning to stay another night but after all of that I looked else where and found a brand new hotel in the SpringHill Suites for the same price, continental breakfast, much cleaner facility, PROFESSIONAL SERVICE, and a helpful staff. I travel for my job and I have had some trying times but never one as bad as the lack luster service and pss poor professionalism as I received at the Oxon Hill, MDI RED ROOF INN. I would sleep on the street before I stayed there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
#3 of 3 in Oxon Hill
3.0 of 5 stars 79 reviews
The Westin Washington National Harbor
AC Hotel National Harbor Washington, DC Area

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC - Oxon Hill? Share your experiences!