“Historic lodge is worth a one-night stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Oregon Caves Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cave Junction
Oregon Caves Lodge
Saint Francis, Minnesota
“Historic lodge is worth a one-night stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I love staying at historic national park lodges and this was a fun stay. We were there one night and had a two room queen "suite." The other small room had a single bed. We were on the very top floor and it was really a neat experience for us. Yes, the rooms are old and they warn you up front that the walls are fairly thin, so please be courteous of your neighbors (their words). We didn't hear any noise and enjoyed our comfortable bed. The weather was cool and damp so I turned the handle on the radiator and it kept the room warm all night. It didn't get too hot, thank goodness. The bathroom was large and everything was super clean. I loved the old lodge and especially the real-wood fireplace that was burning when we go there and also the next day. So wonderful! It smelled so good. There is no wifi, cell phone service, televisions, or phones in the room, so be prepared to step back in time to a quiet environment. We ate dinner at the lodge and unlike previous posters had a fabulous meal. My husband had the salmon and I had the chicken alfredo. We were celebrating our anniversary and found a bottle of sparkling juice with two champagne glasses in our room waiting for us with a card (I had just mentioned it in passing when making the reservation) as well as free dessert with our dinner (carrot cake, my husband's favorite). Our hostess Laura and server Pamela could not have been more professional and helpful. It was a wonderful experience for us. We were also surprised at the reasonable bill at the end of the meal. After seeing the video on national parks and learning about this old lodge, I just had to stay here. I am so glad we did!

Room Tip: The rooms are old but clean. Part of their charm is the rustic nature of the furniture and beds. W...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lifes2short4me

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is a tricky review to write because I love this place on so many levels. The drive up is a real slog, and once you get there it really feels like you're far away from anyplace else. It's wonderful that the lodge still feels old and authentic, but on the flipside it has beds that aren't super comfy and the walls are paper thin (I heard the people in the next room complaining in great detail about one of their in-laws).

It's magical and rare to find a place with this kind of vibe and with a cozy lobby where people can hang out, enjoy the fireplace, play board games, and (on the night we were there) listen to a local band play a combination of 70s/80s pop-rock hits, original songs about Native Americans, and oddball numbers like "Ghost Riders in the Sky."

I should disclose that I did do some research on the the supposed resident ghost before staying here, as this place has been featured on TV shows and websites about haunted places, so my feelings about it may be tainted by the creeped-out factor I felt while staying here. I did take a peek at the third-floor supposedly-haunted room, which has been transformed into a sitting room with no door, probably because of all the ghost publicity, and I got a chill that didn't go away until we checked out and were way down the windy road out of there.

I feel I should also mention that the restaurant was expensive and the food was not too great. The old-school diner downstairs was fun for breakfast. Food ok.

My recommendation: check it out for the experience and see the caves for sure, which are amazing.

Room Tip: Only stay on the third floor if you're not scared of the resident ghost.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Von_Shmavid
Southwest Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

I'm glad we stayed if for nothing more than the experience. The lodge is very old, walls quite thin, very basic. The cave tour was awesome. We also included a stay in the Crater Lake Lodge on this same trip. Definitely a family vacation we won't soon forget!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MsBee78
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

The scenery and the caves are wonderful. The lodge is historic and very pretty, but the rooms are rather unexciting, but clean and basic (no tv's or special amenities). This is really the only place to stay in the area, as the caves are at the end of a long drive up a very winding road in the forest. The small town of Cave Junction is about 30 minutes away, but it's definitely worth it to stay in the chateau as it feels a world away and it would be a big pain to drive all the way back down. Once you are at the chateau, you can relax, hike and take a tour of the caves, which are SPECTACULAR (our tour guide was very good and funny)! The beds are not that comfortable and the walls are thin. It's a charming place (esp. the lobby and common areas), but we did not sleep that well. We actually got up in the middle of the night and went outside to see the most amazing star-lit sky. There is a restaurant downstairs, otherwise, you have to bring in your own food. The milkshakes are so good! Just check the hours for service! The staff is also very friendly and kind.

Room Tip: Book ahead!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Celestialtravels
North Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

We bought the TWO package - cave tour, two nights stay and two dinners -- all for two people. The hotel is a beautiful, rustic old charmer, but the rooms aren't all that nice, and room temperature is unregulatable. The radiator absolutely COOKS the room, so the windows were open a lot, making for a cold room. We found a balance and left both on/open, but woke up freezing because the NOISY radiator heat is turned off at night. There was absolutely nothing special about the room that would warrant the $150/night or balance out the temp problems - NOTHING. The dinners were VERY disappointing. There doesn't seem to be any quality control in the kitchen, but if they had someone in charge who knew what they were doing, it could have been a nice dining experience. It was not. Twice.

Room Tip: See the caves, visit the gift shop, but do not stay or eat at the lodge!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hooplehead
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

First off, the location is just beautiful. This is one of the most beautiful places I have stayed in a long time. Inside the lodge is a quiet and relaxing place just to sit and read a book. There is also a cafe where you can get homemade milkshakes and onion rings with pretty friendly service. My group went on a few hikes around the lodge before we went to bed, including one at sunset. I recommend that sunset hike to anyone who wants to see true, natural beauty. When we got into the room, I had to sleep on a roll-away but I didn't mind that because the room could only fit one regular bed. If you think of it in a positive way, it's pretty cool. It is like you are staying in the 1930s! In the morning we got a great tour of the caves and checked out without a problem. I would definitely recommend to stay at this place. It really is a two day trip, but boy was it fun.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mrmaoconnell
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

The chalet was built in the 1930's. The appeal is location as it is a 20 mile winding road back to town. We stayed there 2 nites. The location is very much in the woods and just feet from the cave opening. There are hiking trails also. It was hot there when we stayed and there is no air and we got the setting sun so the room was hot.

This is a rustic chalet and nothing close to a posh resort . I knew that so it was fine. The coffee shop was old school like the old soda fountains with a winding counter and no tables. Dining room was OK but the food seemed a bit overpriced for what it was but then you are not close to anything else.

I was fun for a night or maybe two but any more would be a long time there as the trails are not long hikes.

Also when warm at night just go near the cave opening and get a nice cool breaze out of it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emcman

Been to Oregon Caves Lodge? Share your experiences!