“It's pretty good, if you don't expect much”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cave Junction
Out 'n' About Treehouse Treesort
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Here's what I liked:
1. Breakfast included in the price: a good quiche, frenchtoast or pancakes, muffins, scrambled eggs, beverages. Nice for me not to have to put together one meal of the day.
2. Stone-lined swimming pond is charming, (but cold).
3. The rope swing was a blast, and $35 bought an hour of ziplines and 2 swings on the rope.
4. Not too far out of Cave Junction-it's close enough for meals.
5. My daughter made a really beautiful shirt in tie-dyeing class.
6. Kids didn't center their attention the TV in the room, because there's no TV in the room.
7. commune-like atmosphere was a throw back to simpler, family-oriented times.
8. The bathrooms are a step up from campground bathrooms. Each bathroom accommodates one person-which gives privacy. And usually they were clean enough.
9. No problems with rowdiness, or late night noise, (other than the rooster!).
10. My kids (11,12,15) had a good, down-to-earth, time, in a down-to-earth setting. It helped that we planned one off-campus adventure a day.
11. Great star-gazing away from city lights.

Here's what I didn't like:
1. Man, there are some AWFUL stenches near the community kitchen. And not just horse smells (there are those too, but I like horse and barn smells), but something dead and decaying smells. Really off-putting, and icky.
2. Flies, flies, wasps, flies.
3. The fire-pit is built from stacked wheel rims-which means it's kind of a small fire, and since one of the benches is out of a car, it's all kind of junk-yard tacky.
4. The tie-dye class cost $20 per person. Thankfully only one of my three children wanted to do it (and she came away with a beautiful shirt that would cost us $15 in a store)-but $60 for three kids is just way more than our family could've afforded.
5. The tree-houses are overpriced. Our cost about $200 a night (there was an added-in price for our fifth person) and I think a fairer price would have been $125 (given the whole experience of the place), or $40 for what it really was (not including the community experience).
6. I don't care for the pro-marijuana attitude (multiple 4/20 references) on the tile displays.
7. More should've been done by staff to pickup trash (especially discarded alcohol bottles) from the swimming area and the fire-pit area. Empties were laying around for half a day, next to the tire rims, which gave all the ambience of a junk yard.
8. More should have been done to justify the cost of the treehouse, for example, all-day beverages, or nightly S'mores.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank 133travels

Reviewed July 19, 2009

What a great concept! I must say first that my family loves to camp. This treesort is a step down from the type of camping we do. When we arrived we were given a brief "tour". While standing in front of the "common" kitchen facility and the "common" BBQ area I was horrified to see all the bees flying around the BBQs. It was to my shock when I discovered that they were actually flies! The accommodations were "cute" but very small. True they may sleep a certain number of people but in very close quarters. While the website states there is horseback riding available, don't be confused. The horses are right on site with you. Hence the thousands of flies. I don't mean to be so bold but a four foot high pile of horse manure isn't the most welcome site or smell. My husband and I couldn't get past the filthy nature of the place. I have never been in a "campground" as disgusting. The bedding is almost as gross. You have sleeping bags with a sheet in them. I can olny assume that the sheet is the only thing washed not the bag! We thoroughly enjoyed the zip lines which are run by a great group. This was the only bright spot!! My advise...br ready for filth if you want to stay her for the "experience"

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
19  Thank curll
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Loved it! The whole experience was amazing! You have to be prepared for a more down to earth vacation to begin with... this is more a cross between family camp and a rather earthy resort, and if you are not prepared for that then you better be flexible because the positives here so outweigh the negs.
The drive to get there is a bit tough, they are definitely out of the way. Upon arrival we were a bit surprised by the farm-like feel with dogs and chickens running about, a fire pit with chairs, picnic tables and an old van seat around it (huh?) but it was comfy!
The treehouses were all unique and really fun to tour, ours was Pleasantree and was up high and we had to get to it using TWO suspension bridges, it sways a bit when someone walks on the bridge or moves about in the unit, yikes! And oh so cozy! but we did have a fridge, toilet, sink and shower with hot water, sort of. (My kids had cold showers because they did not know how to be patient, but they lived!, and my oldest used the common bathroom downstairs).
Zip lines 14 of them plus a 55ft swing - two teen boys - that shut them up!
My 10 year old found friends and helped feed the horses. Kids loved it!
Staff was all very friendly, helpful and breakfast was amazing! All made from scratch muffins, quiche, waffles. There is plenty to do but we were happy watching our kids or visiting with other guests or talking with the staff. We also brought our food in so we didn't have to go into town for meals, and they have gas grills and all utensils and tableware available. Though the town was cute...
We were warned about the cancellation charges which indeed are steep but they are fair here. This place takes maintenance. I am impressed that the owner had a dream and then made it happen. And he continues to improve it, adding more ziplines and a new higher treehouse is in the works! Thanks Michael, we hope to come back one day!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank mom3boyzzz
Reviewed April 22, 2009

This scene is nice in concept, but over hyped and terribly over priced You are not made aware of the stringent cancellation policy until you receive your 2 page confirmation email. By then you are on the hook, because you have been PRECHARGED for your "room." SO Beware! there is a 25% tariff for canceling or shortening your stay - even if they rebook the room! Staff was grumpy and incorrigible, acted as if maid chores were the guest's problem!

"Daily tours" of tree houses were non existent, again, due to frumpy staff. But on a redeeming note, the Trail ride leader, Lila, and the zip line gentleman were both talkative, open, and friendly, I thank them for that.

Downside: Barking dogs at 6 am. Noise/smells from kitchen disrupt early morning sleep in one of the finer accommodations at the place. Very little to do that doesn't cost $$$ and a cancellation policy from hell - probably because people get there and ask "What is up with this?!?" They are met tiny, rickety, little cabins in the trees, with no amenities to speak of. All for upwards of $150$/night! It is 12 miles to town ie: meals. There are many derelict vehicles around in a generally downtrodden neighborhood. So cancellations are probably something they are plagued with, thus the bizarre and rigid policy.

Sadly, I think this is the organic/hippy version of the money grubbing tourist trap.We will not be returning, due to draconian cancellation policy that dictates if you complain about tariff, it is made null and void, but you are blacklisted!! hehheh seems it would have turned out the same either way. Pay fee - never return. Don't pay fee- never return! ....They need a serious lesson in customer service.

On a brighter note, nearby, the Wild Cat Park south of cave junction, got our top vote during our weekend playing tourist in OR/NorCA. The staff there were intelligent and brave. Their lions and tigers roar on command and eat from their hands! Clean scene.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank jojoroxx
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I would save your money and really think about your comfort level and think if you really want to drive the many hours it takes to get here. If you like camping it and roughing it then you would probably like this place. All I can say is thank god we had good company, they made it worthwhile and fun at night. This place is very expensive for what you get and you can tell they don't put anything back into this "resort." Just driving to this place is an experience you will never forget but please bring a map or have GPS because there are no signs directing you to this "resort". There was one broken arrow attached to a tree that sort of pointed to the gravel road that this place was at the end of. The people checking us in and who were staying on the property were very nice and helpful but it just looked the owners could care less about our experience once we were there. I am not sure older kids would even enjoy this place, younger kids maybe. The one thing I will say, if you are going to go here, spend the money, as ridiculous as the prices are for the nice tree houses, it is worth it. If you don't get the larger houses then you have no where to sit, eat, etc. The pictures on the website that show the inside of the tree houses are very misleading as they appear larger than they are. I hate to sound so negative about this place but for the money, it just isn't worth it. I do have to say, the younger folks who were in charge of the zip lines and outdoor activities are very nice, professional and fun. Maybe they should be the ones running this place! I read all of the comments/feedback on this place and I still wasn't prepared for what I saw around this area. Just a side note if you do go here, Grants Pass is a very nice town and only about 45 minutes away with some nice hotels in case you need them!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
9  Thank Hiker50
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed here for a family vacation in August of 2008. This is a great place for adventure, the zip lines, the horses, the great big field where you can look up and see layers and layers of stars - these were really wonderful aspects. Many of thes staff members were great - the front desk staff who oriented people were a couple of very friendly and poised young women, and they had helpful suggestions about where to eat in Cave Junction, etc. The owner (Michael) glowers around the place a bit and seems grumpy and irritated, but his wife is pleasant and seems to be trying to make up for it. I found the breakfasts to be very good and hearty - quiches, pancakes or waffles, fresh fruit, muffins, scrambled eggs, etc. The women who prepared the breakfasts were also very pleasant.

The prices are pretty high for the area, even given how unique the experience is and how much the treehouses cost to keep up. They charge extra for everyone who is in a room over the standard, which is probably normal, but it does mean something like 45 extra dollars per night on top of the $140-$160 base price for a couple and three kids. All of the activities are also extra - the ziplines, the horses, etc. (we got overcharged on the ziplines by quite a bit and had to deal with that at checkout, which feels a little petty and uncomfortable, especially when spending so much in the first place).

As other reviewers have said, I'm glad I went once, but I doubt we'd go back. It's too bad, I was hoping to fall in love with the place.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank TravelMombler
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I am writing this review to encourage everyone to be very careful when making a reservation at Out "n" About Treesort, due to our extremely dissappointing experience that happened this past weekend (August 8-10,2008).
Firstly, I'd like to add that I made my reservation in October 2007. I saw this place on the Travel Channel and it looked very unique, different and fun. The show I watched it reviewed on, encouraged you to call early, so I called 10 months in advance.
When I made my reservation I was told I would be in a very high treehouse with specific accomodations, I was given a confirmation number etc. (like any reservation). This was NOT to be. When I arrived at Treesort my family and I were placed in a Yurt 7-8 feet off the ground -not a treehouse at all.
I was aghast! To make matters worse, the personnel at Treesort told me that perhaps they were "unclear" with me in the fall, they never once apologized to me or made any accomodations to make my stay any better. In fact, the owner (Michael) called me a "liar" and said that perhaps I didn't listen correctly and took down the information wrong. I could not believe my ears. What ever happened to "the customer is always right" or "what can I do to make you happy?" or " what accomodations can I make so you and your family have a good time here?". Nada, the owner could not have cared less about us whatsoever.
The place is beautiful, there are horses,a wonderful breakfast, an itty bitty swim pool made for small children and zip lines available with professional staff. I would recommend the place and the treehouses I did see but did not stay in. But be very, very careful when booking your reservation. Get specific information and make sure they send you a confirmation email.
You have to pay up-front, so you are pretty much stuck if you get screwed like us.
We were not offered 1/2 price or any discount whatsoever - so be careful.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank OregonProud7

Been to Out 'n' About Treehouse Treesort? Share your experiences!