“"tree-diculous" cancellation policy”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cave Junction
Out 'n' About Treehouse Treesort
Reviewed April 22, 2009

This scene is nice in concept, but over hyped and terribly over priced You are not made aware of the stringent cancellation policy until you receive your 2 page confirmation email. By then you are on the hook, because you have been PRECHARGED for your "room." SO Beware! there is a 25% tariff for canceling or shortening your stay - even if they rebook the room! Staff was grumpy and incorrigible, acted as if maid chores were the guest's problem!

"Daily tours" of tree houses were non existent, again, due to frumpy staff. But on a redeeming note, the Trail ride leader, Lila, and the zip line gentleman were both talkative, open, and friendly, I thank them for that.

Downside: Barking dogs at 6 am. Noise/smells from kitchen disrupt early morning sleep in one of the finer accommodations at the place. Very little to do that doesn't cost $$$ and a cancellation policy from hell - probably because people get there and ask "What is up with this?!?" They are met tiny, rickety, little cabins in the trees, with no amenities to speak of. All for upwards of $150$/night! It is 12 miles to town ie: meals. There are many derelict vehicles around in a generally downtrodden neighborhood. So cancellations are probably something they are plagued with, thus the bizarre and rigid policy.

Sadly, I think this is the organic/hippy version of the money grubbing tourist trap.We will not be returning, due to draconian cancellation policy that dictates if you complain about tariff, it is made null and void, but you are blacklisted!! hehheh seems it would have turned out the same either way. Pay fee - never return. Don't pay fee- never return! ....They need a serious lesson in customer service.

On a brighter note, nearby, the Wild Cat Park south of cave junction, got our top vote during our weekend playing tourist in OR/NorCA. The staff there were intelligent and brave. Their lions and tigers roar on command and eat from their hands! Clean scene.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank jojoroxx

Reviewed April 20, 2009

I would save your money and really think about your comfort level and think if you really want to drive the many hours it takes to get here. If you like camping it and roughing it then you would probably like this place. All I can say is thank god we had good company, they made it worthwhile and fun at night. This place is very expensive for what you get and you can tell they don't put anything back into this "resort." Just driving to this place is an experience you will never forget but please bring a map or have GPS because there are no signs directing you to this "resort". There was one broken arrow attached to a tree that sort of pointed to the gravel road that this place was at the end of. The people checking us in and who were staying on the property were very nice and helpful but it just looked the owners could care less about our experience once we were there. I am not sure older kids would even enjoy this place, younger kids maybe. The one thing I will say, if you are going to go here, spend the money, as ridiculous as the prices are for the nice tree houses, it is worth it. If you don't get the larger houses then you have no where to sit, eat, etc. The pictures on the website that show the inside of the tree houses are very misleading as they appear larger than they are. I hate to sound so negative about this place but for the money, it just isn't worth it. I do have to say, the younger folks who were in charge of the zip lines and outdoor activities are very nice, professional and fun. Maybe they should be the ones running this place! I read all of the comments/feedback on this place and I still wasn't prepared for what I saw around this area. Just a side note if you do go here, Grants Pass is a very nice town and only about 45 minutes away with some nice hotels in case you need them!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
9  Thank Hiker50
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed here for a family vacation in August of 2008. This is a great place for adventure, the zip lines, the horses, the great big field where you can look up and see layers and layers of stars - these were really wonderful aspects. Many of thes staff members were great - the front desk staff who oriented people were a couple of very friendly and poised young women, and they had helpful suggestions about where to eat in Cave Junction, etc. The owner (Michael) glowers around the place a bit and seems grumpy and irritated, but his wife is pleasant and seems to be trying to make up for it. I found the breakfasts to be very good and hearty - quiches, pancakes or waffles, fresh fruit, muffins, scrambled eggs, etc. The women who prepared the breakfasts were also very pleasant.

The prices are pretty high for the area, even given how unique the experience is and how much the treehouses cost to keep up. They charge extra for everyone who is in a room over the standard, which is probably normal, but it does mean something like 45 extra dollars per night on top of the $140-$160 base price for a couple and three kids. All of the activities are also extra - the ziplines, the horses, etc. (we got overcharged on the ziplines by quite a bit and had to deal with that at checkout, which feels a little petty and uncomfortable, especially when spending so much in the first place).

As other reviewers have said, I'm glad I went once, but I doubt we'd go back. It's too bad, I was hoping to fall in love with the place.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelMombler
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I am writing this review to encourage everyone to be very careful when making a reservation at Out "n" About Treesort, due to our extremely dissappointing experience that happened this past weekend (August 8-10,2008).
Firstly, I'd like to add that I made my reservation in October 2007. I saw this place on the Travel Channel and it looked very unique, different and fun. The show I watched it reviewed on, encouraged you to call early, so I called 10 months in advance.
When I made my reservation I was told I would be in a very high treehouse with specific accomodations, I was given a confirmation number etc. (like any reservation). This was NOT to be. When I arrived at Treesort my family and I were placed in a Yurt 7-8 feet off the ground -not a treehouse at all.
I was aghast! To make matters worse, the personnel at Treesort told me that perhaps they were "unclear" with me in the fall, they never once apologized to me or made any accomodations to make my stay any better. In fact, the owner (Michael) called me a "liar" and said that perhaps I didn't listen correctly and took down the information wrong. I could not believe my ears. What ever happened to "the customer is always right" or "what can I do to make you happy?" or " what accomodations can I make so you and your family have a good time here?". Nada, the owner could not have cared less about us whatsoever.
The place is beautiful, there are horses,a wonderful breakfast, an itty bitty swim pool made for small children and zip lines available with professional staff. I would recommend the place and the treehouses I did see but did not stay in. But be very, very careful when booking your reservation. Get specific information and make sure they send you a confirmation email.
You have to pay up-front, so you are pretty much stuck if you get screwed like us.
We were not offered 1/2 price or any discount whatsoever - so be careful.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank OregonProud7
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I am at a crossroads here. Treesort has it's charms, but the downside is quite real. Other reviewers touched on the lack of privacy and notable noise. They were correct. The bathrooms were a bit rough during my stay, rough enough to where I questioned whether I would shower at all in them. The dirt common areas with the wrecking yard reject auto seats were leagues short of "quaint". That being said, this is a unique property which does deserve a once over. This area is remote, but not so far from Cave Junction that you can't get meals. It's just an inconvenient distance to travel. So bring your food and smores and alcohol-you'll appreciate all three. By all means, get a treehouse with a bathroom in it, or you have to make the precarious journey to the stinky bathrooms at night, via the amazingly rickety cable bridges. This region does appear to be ground zero for the hippie movement/burnout, so be forewarned. No one said a word about the McCain bumper sticker on my ride, but I wasn't up to the fight which most certainly would have precipitated if I flew the flag. The Zip lines were decent, but require a significant climb up a tree to complete. Short people (under 62") had a hard time with the available hand and footholds. Otherwise, the zipline was fun. The Tarzan swing...now THAT was something. It was a religious experience. It brought teenage boys to their knees and made adolescent girls cry. I recommend the Tarzan swing. I did my two swings, one upside down, and feel like I dodged a bullet. The tie dye T shirt program by Sunshine was well received by the kids.
While you're there, do go see the Big Cats exhibit. It was excellent! The Oregon caves were so so. Carlos's in Cave Junction was surprisingly very, very good Mexican food.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank Rebelelement
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Reading the previous reviews compels me to comment. Yes, this place is REMOTE. We also were feeling a little apprehensive making the drive to it. Yes, there are a lot of lousy looking buildings on your way out there. I was definitely having second thoughts. But once we got there it didn't matter. The "compound" is very nice and the people that worked there were great. You will get alot of exercise. Also be sure you understand if you have chose a unit without a bathroom. They served a great breakfast with homemade muffins and bacon and eggs. We were aware of the fact that we needed to bring food for lunch and dinner. There are refrigerators in the treehouses. It really was a money-saver not eating out all the time. We went on the Zip lines and took a horseback ride, took tye dye and mosiac tile classes. These things cost extra but I felt they were reasonably priced. We went to the Oregon caves and to a great local winery. There is a small (very small) town about 7 miles away that had a "Sausage Factory" that serves hot sandwiches and had local musicians that was fun. I wish we had done the jet boat rides on the Rogue River about 45 minutes away. Next time! We also did lot of just relaxing and enoying the wine we bought at the Winery and sat on our private balony in the trees and watched our son play with his new found friends.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank SpikesMomNapa
Reviewed May 23, 2008

My family and I (husband & kids ages 9 & 7) spent 3 nights at this resort. We had a great time and made awesome memories! We stayed in the Swiss Family Treehouse and overall enjoyed it. But beware, the local swing happens to be attached to this treehouse so you will have kids playing non stop (they do close it around 9pm). This treehouse has a parents quarters and a separate kids quarters. The door lock in the kids quarters was broken and my daughter is EXTREMELY cautious about safety and freaked out because they could not be locked in. The next morning I requested a repair and the employee couldn't believe I wanted it fixed! She said "We never have any problems out here". I told her we are from California and lock ALL of our doors! They did repair it for us and it made for a much happier night! The surrounding area is sort of "Randy Redwoods" so be prepared as you are making the drive in. There are many themed treehouses so research the different ones to find what suits your needs best. There are suspension bridges for the kids to climb around on and the zipline and many other activites. While we were there we went to the Oregon caves and that was fun.The kids had a once in a lifetime experience and would love to go back! I guess my only 2 complaints about this place was this awful airfreshner they used in the bathroom-it was like cinnamon apple but when mixed with many days of showers by all the guests it was just an awful mix! The last morning it really made me sick to my stomach. Also, they have a few buckets where they want you to throw away your food and it draws tons of flys and bees. That aside, it was a great vacation!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank hbkim

Been to Out 'n' About Treehouse Treesort? Share your experiences!