“Down to Earth Adventure”

Oregon Caves National Monument
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Oregon Caves is a place of adventure, wonder, and discovery. Join your guide and a small party of fellow cave explorers for a 90-minute tour. The route wends through narrow, twisting passages with ceilings as low as 45 inches! See strangely beautiful of stalactites, stalagmites, and other mysterious calcite flowstones as you bend and stoop through rocky passages. You will long remember your tour of the Oregon Caves. The route is moderately strenuous and not recommended for people with breathing, heart, knee or back issues. Children must be 42” tall or taller, no exceptions. The cave is 44 degrees year round. Dress warm. Tours are very popular in the summer. Arrive early to avoid long waits or closures. Reservations are available at Recreation.gov. Cave tours offered late March to early November. On the surface, explore the Oregon Caves Historic District, including the Oregon Caves Chateau, a National Historic Landmark. The Chateau offers lodging and dining, early March through early October. Trail heads in the historic district will lead hikers along paths through old growth Port Orford Cedar forests, scenic overlooks of the Siskiyou Mountains, and meadows filled with wildflowers.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have passed this monument on other trips and I always wanted to go back and am glad I did. At first I was a little intimidated by the sample stairs that they ask you to climb up and down without holding the rail which I could do but when someone said something about hundreds of stairs, I wasn't so sure because I'm 66. After another visitor said there was an opportunity to get out about 1/3 of the way through, I felt I had an out if it was too hard. I was easily able to keep going at 1/3 mark and finished the tour just fine. You are not supposed to touch the rocks and edges of the cave to avoid contaminating it, and the really steep places have stairs with rails you can use for support. I found I could manage OK except in one or two awkward areas where I had to lightly touch a rock for balance. If you are somewhat active and use stairs regularly, you should be OK. It's and interesting and informative excursion about cave ecology and geology but the best part in my opinion was getting out of the cave and taking the .7 mile trail to the top of the mountain afterwards where there's a nice bench to sit on and enjoy fabulous views of the mountains.

2  Thank Carol S
in 8 reviews
"natural wonder"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went to the Oregon Caves National Monument as a day trip. The road there was quite long and windy. The caves are different from any others I have seen. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and informative. We were at the back of the tour and it seemed to be a fairly quick pace. My only complain would be that I'd have liked to have more time for picture taking. Some of the ceilings are pretty low so if you're tall and have back problems, you may not want to go.It was suggested you bend at the knees but my husband and I both have bad knees so we chose the back bend but did okay. It was much cooler inside than it had been out so you definately will want a sweater at least.
At the exit the ranger said we were already half way up a mountain trail if anyone wanted to hike the rest of the way up. My husband and I and one other family group did the trail. It was beautiful and we passed a deer eating that was only about eight feet from us.The lodge at The Caves also served up a great burger in the 50's diner. All in all, a great day.

2  Thank HappyKathy805
Reviewed July 22, 2013

At the coast the heat wasn't an issue this weekend but by the time we passed through Cave Junction I was looking forward to the 7C temps in the cave. My daughter brought a decent camera and flash, I brought a quality flashlight despite the warnings not to. A sweatshirt jacket is enough to stay warm.
Immediately we went in, a couple of people left due to claustrophobia. This is not a huge auditorium type cave. If you are claustrophobic at all, its not for you. The tour was lively, interesting and informative. I hung back to check out things the ranger had not illuminated with his flashlight, glad I brought mine.
The short hike after exiting is indeed worth it if you brought a camera.

2  Thank Hammer997
Reviewed July 22, 2013

What a nice way to spend a hot afternoon, very cool cave (and I mean cold ) 45 degrees
Learned alot above the cave and what man has done to it and how we are trying to put things right. nice people who really care about what they do.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My second visit. This is a must-see stopping point between California Coast and Crater Lake. The downtown visitor center said the lines up at the Park were hours-long (July 4), but we only had a 15 minute wait after the required warning about Bats at risk. It is 30 to 45 minutes drive up the hill (depending upon mountain driving skills). Lots of stairs, NO elevator.

If you take the Science tour, they cut out the view of Paradise Lost cavern to stay on schedule (my only quibble). If you are tall, take along a bump hat or keep your eyes open... lots of "low bridges" and twisty little passages.

This year, I hiked the shorter loop tail up over the caves back to the Gift Shop ... spectacular views and a very pleasant EASY hike (no poles needed). If you feel like crawling (take a bump hat) in one of the blind leads near the end of that trail, there is a guest book to sign in the very back of one of the small caves. Maybe next time.