“Disappointing for a Marriott”

Salt Lake City Marriott University Park
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We got our room at this hotel last minute, and were thrilled to get a Marriott for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, we soon realized why we got it for such a good deal.

The whole hotel was under construction. Although it didn't happen during the night, starting early in the morning, all we heard was construction, which seemed like it was right above us. This was very annoying, as we were trying to sleep, and at one point, my son was trying to take a nap and couldn't because of all the noise.

The bathroom wasn't very well maintained. The grout looked dirty, and there was hair in the tub.

The fact that we had to pay 9.99 for internet was ridiculous. This is the only hotel we've stayed at in the last two years where that was the case.

When I ordered room service, it was a bit unnerving for the girl to take my credit card. She didn't come back with it for 30 minutes. This might be normal procedure, but I feel it would be better if they had a portable credit card reader.

There were a few good things. The lady at the front desk found us a king size bed (even though at first she said there weren't any),

Although the restaurant was expensive, it was good service and the food tasted good. I would recommend including a side with the meal, rather than having a 3.00 additional fee. We thought that was a bit odd.

We really wanted to like staying here, but I doubt we will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Salt Lake City Marriott University Park

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The bell man Nick was very pleasant and helpful.
My husband couldn't sleep because there was a bear on the 7th floor snoring.
It cost $20 to upgrade to the next floor. There pool looks nice but didn't get to check it out it closes at 10 pm. The glass elevators are nice.

Room Tip: Ask for the 7th floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

This is my 3rd Marriott experience in the US, and their service continues to recieve good marks from me. This Marriott has a good and friendly staff, which makes a working trip bearable. If I have to complain about something, its the food in their American Grill restaurant, I had the saltiest seafood bisque here!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is in many ways a typical Marriott. It's distinguishing feature was it's size (much like the Mayan-style one in Albuquerque, this one has a confusing layout with a large, cold atrium area). The rooms were nothing special. Our room with two doubles did not have a dresser for clothing, which was inconvenient for two people over a four-day stay.
I have heard positive reviews about the hotel's "award-winning" restaurant, and ate there for breakfast. The weekend breakfast buffet had a good selection and was replenished frequently. However, on the weekday we were there, the restaurant was understaffed and our food took an inordinately long time to arrive. It was tasty when it did come though.
Personally, I didn't like having to cross the hotel lobby to go to the fitness and pool/spa areas. They are tucked away down a long hallway off the bar area. The hot tub was really warm, which was nice considering how chilly it can be in Salt Lake when a temperature inversion sets in. The fitness center was clean and roomy and had plenty of workout machines with individual TV monitors and a weight area.

Room Tip: There is construction right now, and it seemed like it would continue through 2013. I think some of...
Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed to the Marriott for business with the University.
The location is very convenient and there is also a free shuttle that can pick you up and drop you off to some of the University buildings.
The room was clean and spacious. The staff very nice and helpful.
I enjoyed the pool and the fitness area (with includes treadmills, bikes, weights).
They have a very small Starbucks coffee shop and a restaurant close to it were I enjoyed breakfast and dinner.
I will definitely come again to this place for my future stays.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The staff here is terrific, I've stayed three times and been treated well every time. The hotel is spacious and large, appears to function well for large groups from what I witnessed. They have a good restaurant which does a terrific breakfast buffet and there's a nice sports-bar with a decent happy hour sometimes. If you are Marriott Gold or Platinum the concierge lounge is smallish but well stocked and on weekends you will get the breakfast buffet in the restaurant instead. The pool I am in LOVE with! It is large and warm with a good hot tub - the room is glassed in with an amazing view of the nearby mountains. The adjoining workout room is spacious and well-equipped. Often in the past when I've stayed solo in hotels geared toward large groups I felt like an unwelcome annoyance but I felt respected and welcomed here. The location is great for the University, is closer to downtown and shopping than it appears, and just down the road from many attractions like the Natural History Museum, Red Butte Gardens, the zoo, etc. The Junior Suite is very nice if you opt for that, and if you worry about noise from the atrium design there are quieter rooms, though I never noticed the noise was bad.

Room Tip: There are some good views from higher floors (ask for a view) and if you are sensitive to noise ask...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a must stay if your are visiting Salt Lake City. It's east of downtown on the University of Utah campus but these folks realy take hospitality serious. I was given a nice Jr. Suite and breakfast each morning and warm apple cider every afternoon and evening! The room was vwery clean and the bed and bedding was very confortable. Climet control was just right. The work center was very user friendly and the entire staff was very hospitable. That sounds corney but some hotels don't try to earn your business and this one is not one of them. It was a very quiet hotel at night. Hats off, I enjoyed my stay in SLC and this hotel was one of the reasons. Dinning on site stays open late and they have room service if you wish to dine in.

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade to a Jr. Suite and get a fulling living arera plus the bedroom along with a bar area...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business