WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #62 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Evans
“Last Resort”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed here just one night -- glad that was all. Recommend no more then that and to do so only as a last resort. Dirty, noisy room, skimpy breakfast. Location is okay and convenient. Price was affordable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mazewalker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Was the perfect price & room for our needs. Appreciated the affordability. I suspect room rates are very reasonable for a variety of reasons. One observation of mine was, no lotion, no hair conditioning, no shower caps, etc offerings - which we do not need- we provide our own. Soap & shampoo is adequate. Having cereal & hot beverages for breakfast is perfect. Thanks.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

It seemed like the entire time I was there I was inconveniencing the staff. From check-in to asking for towels to breakfast to JUST STAYING THERE every staff member was disinterested, bothered by, and curt to me. There seems to be an obvious attitude problem at this hotel- Ivana at the front desk was especially rude, more so than any other hotel clerk I have ever spoken to! She was mean and snappy every time I or anyone in my party spoke to her. It almost seemed like she was going out of her way to make every request or question as difficult as possible for us. She even commented "I work at two hotels- this hotel and the Hilton. I KNOW what I'm doing!"

Apart from the staff with whom I personally interacted, it seems the management has a general disinterest in guest satisfaction. When checking in I noticed printed signs taped at the front desk that said "WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE!" and "We do not accept prepaid credit cards!" posted right in the face of anyone checking in. On the computers for guest use there are signs that say "THIS IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL COMPUTER!" and "NO FACEBOOK OR SKYPE" and "NO FOOD OR DRINK". In the breakfast room there is a taped sign that says "NO TAKING FOOD FROM THE BREAKFAST ROOM!" I can understand the reasoning behind some of those signs, but as a customer-facing business you find more gentle ways to state those things. I would not have been surprised to see a sign that said "We hate you and don't want you to stay here or use anything or eat any breakfast" printed along with the rest of their cheesy taped-up signs. They go out of their way to establish dominance over their guests and make sure the guest acknowledge their subjugation to management.

I always try to be objective in my reviews and only comment on things that the hotel CAN fix. Obviously location, Internet service, and other large capital expenses are not easily fixable by management. I wouldn't be so upset by this stay if it were for capital expense reasons- but my reasons (and those of everybody else who has reviewed this hotel) are justifiable complaints that are easily fixable with a focus on customer service! I even try to be understanding when people are just having a bad day (which I would assume it was except for the hate signs everywhere and all the other reviews on here). The whole attitude of this hotel is wrong- they seem to think they are the shiz and are doing their guests a favor by LETTING the guest stay there. That is the exact opposite of a hospitality mentality.

I would never stay here again. Ever. As a brand I am now a little wary of Rodeway Inns as well. But I think the main reason this hotel is so horrible is because the management and other personnel work hard to make it a horrible experience for anyone who dares to bother them.

Room Tip: Do not stay here at all!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank bentley4me

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I needed a room for 1 day and needed a good price...well I got it. Yes it was only $59.00 plus tax. Looks ok from the outside but halls and carpets are pretty dirty. I booked a non-smoking room weeks in advance, but upon arrival found that it had a bad-smelling room. Elevator has faded old pictures and scuffed walls. Walls are thin and doors slam loudly. Rooms are dark and just old. The "free breakfast" consisted of generic white bread, one choice of cereal, and hot coffee which was served in a water pitcher.

There has to be other places to stay that are conveniently a good price. You should either renovate, demolish, or take it out of the Choice Hotel brand as it is bringing it down.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Havre, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Oh wow, where to begin with this place?! I guess I will start by saying that I was not expecting much because I just needed a cheap place to stay over on my family's trip to California. I have stayed at many cheap motels, so I am not hard to please, but I do expect at least a little effort. As far as the actual room, it was your typical cheap motel room, a few updates didn't cover up the fact that this place is in need of serious renovations. The room was far from immaculate, I found a used washcloth hanging on the shower rod, which was disturbing, and the towels were dingy. Otherwise, fairly typical. Where this place falls into the "terrible" category is its customer service or complete lack thereof. I checked in on a Monday, having prepaid through the corporate website to get a lower rate and have it taken care of ahead of time. Unfortunately I did this for my trip to CA and my trip home. BIG MISTAKE. Upon arrival, I asked the front desk clerk to verify that my room was prepaid, as she had swiped my credit card upon check-in. She told me it was not prepaid. I immediately logged in to my bank account to verify that my room had indeed been charged to my card several weeks prior, as I was concerned about being double charged, not just this time, but on my way back through. When I told her that my records showed that I had paid, she went into a tirade about how she worked there for over a year and she "would know" if my room was prepaid and how it was impossible for me to have paid online through the website, as the website didn't allow it. All the while, I am looking at both an email saying that my room is paid and my bank account showing the charges for the two nights I pre-purchased. When I asked her to look at the email, she flew off the handle again, telling me that she would refund my money and I could leave. When I explained that I didn't want to leave, that I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't being double charged, she called he manager, telling her manager how I was insisting that my room was paid even when she "knew" it wasn't and making me sound like a lunatic. She never once offered to verify or double check for me, she never showed any concern, she immediately became verbally aggressive and threatened to kick me out, pointing to the sign behind the counter that says they reserve right to refuse service. Wow! Finally, I called corporate myself to straighten it out. Meanwhile, she was calling the local office. We both came to the same answer, which was that my room WAS in fact prepaid, and that there would be no additional charges to my card. This literally should have taken 2 minutes to verify upon check-in by anyone with ONE IOTA of customer service skills. She didn't apologize or offer any help even after realizing she was wrong. I tried to call corporate and get my reservation changed so I would never have to stay at that awful place again. Unfortunately because I had prepaid the only one that could issue a refund was the hotel itself. Because I didn't hav e the budget to book another room and wait for a refund, I had the extreme displeasure of staying at this dump a second time. This time, I knew my room was taken care of, so I didn't bother to ask for ANY assistance from the zombie- like man at the front desk on this go-around. He literally did s the BARE MINIMUM to qualify as a front desk clerk. No smile, no small talk, just shoved the room keys at me with a sticky note telling me my room number. Just wow. I don't understand why some people work in the customer service industry when they clearly have NO CONCEPT of how to do their job. I am still in shock as to how one simple question led to a 20 minute tirade with this girl attempting to make me believe that I had no idea what I was talking about. Ughhh....needless to say, this place deserves all the Terrib le ratings it has on Tripadvisor and then some. I'm not so sure the good reviews aren't planted, as I can't imagine anyone having a pleasant stay at this dump. My advice to the owners: invest in some customer service courses for your employees! You CAN run a cheap motel that is still clean and friendly. This place is neither!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sunkistpeach99
Czech republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Cheap, simple hotel, cca 30 minutes walk to Temple square. It was sufficient for the overnight stay. Our room was clean, there was AC, LCD. The quality of the Wifi signal was not good, sometimes it was not strong enough. The breakfast was poor - coffee or tea in paper cup, white bread, jam, two kind of cereal, juice. that's all to survive. Sometimes there was a problem with access card - did not work and the staff had to resetted it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank David R
Manteca, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I needed a room for 2 days at the last minute and needed CHEAP...well I got it. Yes it was only $59.00 plus tax. Looks ok from the outside but halls and carpets are pretty dirty. Elevator has faded old pictures and scuffed walls. Walls are thin and doors slam loudly. Rooms are dark and just old. If you HAVE no other choice,stay in an emergency but if you have 30 more bucks go across the street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business