“Worst hotel I've stayed in” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn Downtown

Rodeway Inn Downtown
Ranked #61 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
“Worst hotel I've stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Do not book this hotel unless you are desperate! It is cheap, but it's still not a good value. We booked a non-smoking room months in advance, but upon arrival found that we had a bad-smelling smoking room. I asked at the front desk and was told that "non-smoking is only a preference, and we only have smoking rooms right now." I would have checked out immediately, except that the whole city was booked for a big conference.

The mattresses were worn out, the pillows were thin, and the sheets and linens were old and stained. The towels were thin and hard. I didn't take my shoes off because the carpet was so old and stained.

The "free breakfast" consisted of generic white bread, one choice of cereal, and hot coffee which was served in a water pitcher.

Only good point: I did not get bitten by bed bugs!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is barely fit for human occupation. The room was terrible, everything smelled horribly and the breakfast was not edible. The breakfast was nothing but already-crushed up cereal and probably weeks old coffee. You should either renovate, demolish, or take it out of the Choice Hotel brand as it is bringing it down.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank StGermaine84

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Leesburg,Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Had a horrible experience across the street at Motel 6 so we checked in here the next day.
It's old and shows it but it was clean, well equipped with refrigerator, coffee, elevator. Front desk people - all of them- were very pleasant and helpful. Nice breakfast room with some basic stuff like cereal, muffins, juice, etc.. Printed out boarding passes for us with a smile. We felt secure in having an inside entrance to our room as opposed to the motel type.
Stayed two nights and would do it again.
Legends bar and grill at the corner is very good and offers 10% off if you are a Rodeway guest.
Ate there 2 nights and loved it. More friendly people.

Room Tip: We prefer a second floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bsaylor1
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed last night at the downtown rodeway inn in salt lake city utah. I thoght I recevied pretty good value for my money. The room was clean, the breakfeast bar was ok. The staff was helpful with directions.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank george o
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Ugh. This place is an absolute dump. Motel 6 is a palace compared to this place. I've stayed at the Motel 6 across the street and it's so much cleaner.
I made a reservation online and prepaid two nights; if not for their no-cancellation process I would've walked out right after walking in.
When I tried to open the back door into the corridor from the parking lot my key wouldn't work. I had to carry my luggage around to the front door. I asked the front desk guy if my key was defective when asking about the back door and he just said, unapologetically, "oh, there's a problem with the doors." Okay, got it... a known problem that they won't fix!
Next I walked down the hallway to find my room, appalled at the stained carpet and dreary lighting. It was obvious that this place hadn't seen paint or a steam cleaner in years.
Depression set in when I got to my room. The carpet is so stained that I didn't know if I wanted to walk barefoot in the room. There are horrendous stains on the carpet and the bedding.
I walked back down the dreary hall to find some drinking water...only to find that the Pepsi vending machine on my floor had no power.
No exaggeration...this hotel is a disaster. Stay somewhere else...anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Leif D
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have stayed here quite a few times and i have had a very pleasant experience everytime. There is a complimentary breakfast every morning,which is great when you're short on time! The staff is very friendly and always smiling, and the maid service staff all work very hard and rooms and hotel is always clean. If ever there are disturbances, they are taken care of quietly & quickly. The hotel is in an excellent location with many restaraunts, bars, music venues & convention center all within walking distance. I have felt very safe & comfortable there and will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank nattym76
Le Havre, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

The room was not comfy, needed to be refreshed. Because of a permanent continuous noise, Had the feeling to be in a plane or on a ferry boat. The carpet is really dirty with red chewing gum stuck on it. The blanket needed to be washed (must admit i slept with my cloth on) and although it was a non smoking room blanket, iron table, even toilet were burnt with cigarette. Why did i let a second stars however ? Because there is a Starbucks nearby

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sleep Inn Salt Lake City
#10 of 13 in West Valley City
3.5 of 5 stars 56 reviews
Quality Inn & Suites Salt Lake City
Quality Inn & Suites Salt Lake C...
#52 of 75 in Salt Lake City
3.5 of 5 stars 110 reviews
Baymont Inn Salt Lake City/West Valley
Baymont Inn Salt Lake City/West ...
#11 of 13 in West Valley City
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#5 of 6 in Murray
3.0 of 5 stars 110 reviews

Been to Rodeway Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!