“Great location (despite construction), average accommodations”

Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Piscataway, New Jersey
“Great location (despite construction), average accommodations”
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Awesome downtown location.

There was major construction to adjacent buildings but it was not too intrusive.

In our room, the toilet was shaky and the plumbing was poor. The carpet wasn't clean in places.

There are two Marriotts within two blocks - make sure you check-in at the right hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Unlike the previous reviews, we enjoyed our one night stay here. Our room was located on the 16th floor (concierge level) and so the construction noise didn't bother us. The room was nicely decorated and the bed was comfy but the bathroom was smaller (typical in most of my Marriott experiences). The front desk staff was very nice, helpful and pleasant to deal with but they forgot to inform us the concierge room was closed on Saturdays. The room service was quick but the chicken quesadilla was not the best. The next time we go here, we'll just check out the neighborhood bar and restaurants instead.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 21, 2010

..yet I would not say this is Marriott's best product. Club room is closed on weekends - something one sees in franchise hotels not a Marriott one block away from Temple Square. Guest room service is uneven although housekeepers are friendly. Appreciate the recycling policy but do not like looking at a black garbage bag (of recyclables) tied to a knob on one of the dresser drawers. Front desk staff is very good. Bar is way too small to accomodate a convention group. Fortunately, there are other bars not too far away that can accomodate.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Virginia
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Major skyscrapers going up across the street. They work all night long...banging, hammering, cranes,,,OMG no sleep! This work is ongoing for at least another year.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I guess I had higher expectations, given that this is home base for Marriott. First, the good: it's a pleasant hotel, with a nice enough lobby. The staff was attentive and polite, without going much out of their way in that regard. The rooms are comfortable, with some interesting furnishings--appear to have been recently renovated.

On the down side, it's not very soundproofed to the outside. I was looking southward, and there was some street construction, which is unavoidable, but also a bar with outdoor music and a pretty high wind at one point. All were distracting, and the windows seemed to do a poor job of blocking the noise. And--without going into the gross details--the bathroom had obviously not been cleaned adequately.

Would stay here again, but just figured that Marriott would make this as close to their standard-bearer as possible.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I have stayed here 2 different years while attending week long conferences and both times I have not been disappointed.The convenience of location across the street from the Salt Convention Center was perfect for me.The Marriotts are a little high priced but the rooms and service are consistently the best - good sized rooms and the best linens and beds! With a Starbucks, bar, and good restaurant downstairs, I didn't have to venture out, especially important with so little free time.Room Service for breakfast is prompt, reasonable, and so convenient.I asked for and got a small fridge in my room, which was handy, but they do not have microwaves. Other than that, a perfect place.

• Stayed June 2010
Pocatello, Idaho, USA
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Around this time (06/10), there was a lot of construction making it really hard to find and get to the hotel if you are not familiar with Salt Lake City. Once we finally get to the hotel, we find that there is a charge for parking, even if you are a guest. Now since this is downtown of a large city, one can understand the charge for parking. Once getting to the lobby, my family had lots of luggage and traveling with children that can't carry bags. We were not met by any bellboys to help carry bags to our rooms.

Finally we get to our room and it is very clean and nice. However, I did find it ridiculous for an advertised "business" hotel to not have free internet available in the rooms. Also, paying as much as we did for rooms, we found no complementary water in our rooms. We only found a small bottle of water valued at $3.50. There was no refrigerator or safe in the hotel room. Without a safe, I had to carry my valuables around because I am the type that don't want to risk things being stolen.

Sleep was alright in terms of temperature, but the pillows I would have to say were pretty hard. There were two small pillows that were the right firmness, but the other 3 pillows which were larger were as hard as a rock (Exaggerating but close to). The throw pillows on the couch were even more comfortable than the bed pillows. One of the only plus in this review is that I didn't hear that much construction outside my window (however still audible).

The room service wasn't the best. After having my room cleaned, I found that I did receive clean and new towels, but I also kept my old, used, and dirty ones.

Fitness center is advertised 24 hours, but it seems that the weights are not considered fitness since they are inaccessible from 10pm to 6 am. The only fitness machines accessible for 24 hours are the treadmills. The pools also close at the same time the weights do, which I was disappointed in because I wanted to relax in the hot tubs after a long and busy day.

Overall, I do not recommend this hotel. I have traveled a lot of times and have been to many hotels, and this hotel would be one of the lowest in my list.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family