“Ideal Location in SLC”

Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek
Ranked #27 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed June 28, 2009

This was our first trip to Salt Lake City and after looking at the web-site, I wasn't expecting much from this hotel. Fortunately, we asked to be upgraded to the concierge level (floors 15 & 16) and they were able to accomodate us. Our room was large and obviously recently renovated very tastefully. We had a large balcony (only on concierge rooms) overlooking the Mormon Temple and a lovely mountain view. As mentioned by others, there is a HUGE construction project next door which can be looked at as annoying or interesting, take your pick. For us, it was a non-issue since we had to get up early for our conference but I imagine it would be hard to sleep in with the construction. We didn't use the restaurant but found the food in our meetings to be of high quality. The concierge lounge on the 16th floor had a nice array of breakfast treats, and snacks all day. Unfortunately, it is closed on the weekends forcing you to get your coffee at the Starbucks in the lobby or from the in-room coffee maker. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and our housekeeper couldn't have been nicer. The price was incredibly affordable compared to what we are used to which was a nice bonus. I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek

Reviewed June 2, 2009

We stayed at the Marriott while in SLC two day during a trip to Utah Everything about the stay was wonderful - service, cleanliness, beds, etc. The price was reasonable considering the quality of the product. This is a great location for walking to the various cultural sites in and around Temple Square.

The restaurant "Elevations" in the hotel is very good. Both the service and the food are excellent.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I stayed at the Marriott SLC because of its proximity to the Salt Palace Convention Center. It’s ideally suited to getting to and from the Salt Palace if your meeting will be held in the north tower. If your meeting will be held in the other side of the building then the Radisson would be your best bet. I stayed at the Marriott from February 18 – 24, 2009, for my company’s annual conference of about 1,100 attendees.

Two colleagues and I arrived about 7 p.m. on February 18 to find out that one person’s suite had been cancelled, I did not receive the upgrade to the concierge level we had requested and confirmed prior to arriving, and the hotel was virtually sold out. All this was said without any concern that one of us might not have a place to sleep that night. After some shuffling, the Marriott staffer was able to get us all rooms (me a double on the 6th floor, and my two co-workers in two king rooms on the 15th floor) and promised that if we checked in with the front desk shift supervisor the next morning, we would be moved to rooms that met our preferences. Without my asking, my Internet access for the entire stay was comped as compensation for the confusion. At $11.95 per night, that was a nice gesture. I was also given concierge level access on my key card.

The first night I headed to my 6th floor room which had two double beds and great wireless Internet access. My room was very clean but had a horrible view of all the construction going on in the downtown area. I decided to forgo unpacking as I would likely be moving the next day.

The next day I was moved to a king concierge level room on the 16th floor. Not much difference in terms of size from the 6th floor room I had, but at least I had the king bed and I just had to walk down the hall to get to the concierge lounge. My new room had horrible Internet access, so I just used my Netzero account. Same view of the construction. No balcony attached to my room although some rooms on the 15th and 16th floors had walkout balconies.

My company had booked a suite on the 15th floor with two connecting king sleeping rooms. After some shuffling, two of our VIPs were able to get into that suite (had been given away the first night). What a suite it was! Very nice dining area, separate bathroom, kitchenette, big screen TV, couch, love seat and two huge (extremely comfortable) lounge chairs. The sleeping rooms were huge and gorgeous as well with even a bidet in each. Each sleeping room had a wonderful wrap-around view of the Great Salt Lake and the mountains. We were told that the suite was the one the Marriotts used when they were in town. If you’re celebrating a honeymoon or special occasion, I would definitely recommend booking that suite. Be forewarned – it will be extremely pricey.

The concierge lounge was open Monday – Friday but was closed from Friday at noon, I believe, until Sunday evening. Water and sodas are available all day in the lounge and there is a continental breakfast each morning (coffee, tea, juice, fruit, yogurt, bread, pastry and something hot – pancakes, waffles, eggs or sausage – each day); snacks in the evening (fruit, cheese, crackers, dips, chips, etc) and some nights there was dessert as well. Staff are very attentive regarding refilling food and drinks, so there was always a supply when I got there.

The Mariott is a gorgeous hotel. From the time you walk into the lobby with the spacious seating areas, the fire, etc. you’re made aware that you’re in a nice hotel. We had our meeting attendees either stay at the Marriott or the Radissson and the Marriott wins hands down. There is no comparison. I visited the Radisson twice. Something to keep in mind is that as of February 2009, the Radisson is undergoing extensive renovations. On entering the lobby I found it dark and depressing. There is no bar or restaurant at the time we stopped by. Although that was not told to guests or meeting planners prior to arrival.

Salt Palace
For most of my time in SLC it seemed I lived at the Salt Palace. While it was not the most physically accessible location, it was not the most physically daunting convention center either. Depending on where your meeting or events are, I found signage to be a major problem. In fact, some of our guests got lost on their way to a ceremony because of the lack of signage and staff to direct them where to go.

Escalators and elevators were pretty accessible. I found the business center where you could make extra copies and mail packages to be very handy. The best thing about the Salt Palace? Definitely the banquet staff. Staff could not have been more helpful with requests. Staff (facility, exhibit hall) in particular were very accommodating. And I know, as the customer they’re supposed to do a good job, but we regularly tipped the banquet staff for going above and beyond. We believe in rewarding exceptional service not people who just “get by”, KWIM?

Noise
I know others complained about the construction noise. For me, the difficulty of walking around was the bigger issue. Huge swaths of each block is devoted to construction which makes walking around a hassle. The area will be gorgeous when all the construction is done, but until then be prepared to live with construction noise, debris and road closures and no view.

For a hotel restaurant, the food at Elevations was great. I pretty much ate most of my meals there and I never had a bad meal. The breakfast buffet was good – although during low occupancy all meals are a la carte and there is no breakfast buffet. Food standouts were the parmesan-crusted halibut which I loved, as well as the fish and chips (huge pieces of gorgeous flaky halibut). We had room service appetizers one night in the suite which was delivered promptly. The three-cheese pizza was tasty (had ricotta on it which was an interesting choice), hot wings and mozzarella sticks. The bread pudding with ice cream was very good.

The first day I ate at Elevations the service was spotty – but in my waitress’s defense it was hugely busy. Each time thereafter, I either had the same waiter or waitress and they were extremely pleasant and took the time to chat. I’m happy to say either they got used to me being in their faces  or the experience I had on the first day was an anomaly.

The night before we left Salt Lake we decided to have a nice dinner at Cucina Toscana. Very nice restaurant in relatively close proximity to the Marriott, although the five of us who went took a cab. We decided to get the “tasting menu” which was about a bajillion courses and included: penne arrabiata (a bit too spicy); gnocchi provinciale and several others. My favorite was a beef short rib dish that was divine. Dinner for five of us came to about $375 if I recall. If you go, I wouldn’t necessary choose the tasting menu (unless you’re very adventurous). It’s probably best to select your own favorites and pass them around family style.

Things to Do
The second night we were there we went to see a Utah Jazz game against the Boston Celtics at the Energy Solutions Arena. Great game in a very nice arena. If you go to a game, definitely stop by the hot sandwich stand. Great, hot, carved meat sandwiches on soft rolls.

I had to work on Sunday morning so I couldn’t make the Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert, but from those who attended, I was told it was deeply moving. Definitely a must-do on a future trip.

Shopping
Surprisingly, the gift shop at the Salt Palace is very affordable and offered a nice range of souvenirs and postcards. The Salt Lake Visitor shop at Gateway Mall (across the street from Energy Solutions) was chockfull of cute stuff.

Miscellaneous
Safety – I felt very safe walking around the area, although up near the Rite Aid, I ran into a panhandler. He wasn’t aggressive though. BTW, the Rite Aid near the hotel and the Salt Palace is closed on Sundays. Must be a recent change because the Convention and Visitor’s Bureau staff assured me that they were open on the Sunday I headed up there.

Airport Shuttle – I’d booked our shuttle to-and-from the hotel with All Resort Express. Very professional service, always timely and staff were great to work with. I highly recommend them. Don’t forget to confirm your pick up 24 hours in advance.

All in all, I was very pleased with the accommodations at the Marriott as well as the service. After an initial rough go of it on arrival, things were resolved satisfactorily.

If you have any questions about the Salt Palace, the Marriott, the Radisson or places within a block or two, feel free to email me. Have a safe trip!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank trinigirlmd
Reviewed February 6, 2009

If you wish to get any sleep past 0700 am including weekends, do not stay here until after the enormous construction project next door is finished in 2010. There are multiple construction projects around the hotel and the noice is riveting. It is also very annoying and frustrating that when you call for assistance, the operator helps you first and there is lack of communication with the other depts, especially front desk. And the gall we dealt with at the front service lacked common sense. Also, the shopping center that had an interior walkway from the hotel and was so convenient is no longer there. The hotel ended up not being convenient for anything we were doing. We left after 2 nights of a much longer stay. Stay at another Marriott or hotel. FYI, the food in the restaurant was good.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Stayed here for five days for a conference. A bit overpriced and room was in need of renovation which was taking place in other parts of the hotel. Meeting room had leak in the ceiling which actually dripped water on occasion during the meetings. Food was less than acceptable. Unable to adequately accommodate vegetarian meals.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2009

I spent 2 days along with 3 children to rest before going to Park City. The hotel is clean and the room is very good. Staff was very helpful all the time.
It is very well located.
The hotel is great for families, great for children. The children loved the swimming pool. And the breakfast is excellent (worth it).
Just note that you will spend a little bit more than expected. The hotel is very clear on this, but you will probably pay extra for parking, extra for high speed internet, extra for safe deposit box (long time I don't see this), extra for newspapers....plus taxes.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2008

There is a lot of construction occuring around the downtown, and surrounding this hotel. I had one day where I needed to work in my room, which was pretty much impossible with the noise. The hotel is also undergoing rennovations - my first stop was a room on the top floor - just redone, which was very nice. Unfortunately it faced directly towards the major construction, and even at 9PM the noise was too much for me. (note: I am a light sleeper, so for some perhaps this wouldn't be so bothersome, esp. if you had to get up by 8AM, which is when the really work starts). I moved down to the 4th floor and could see why they were fixing up the rooms. The room was very worn - bed very low to the ground - and overall just in desperate need of a makeover (guess they will eventually get there!). Noise was less, but even on this side of hotel construction was happening. Had room service once - which was OK - but it took 24 hours for someone to remove the tray, despite several calls. Concierge Lounge was very sub-par as compared with others at Marriott's. Lobby was decent - comfortable space at Starbuck's off lobby to work. No wireless in rooms - which was a big pain. Overall OK, but I would not stay here again when in Salt Lake.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business