“beautiful, great service”

Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek
Ranked #26 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
“beautiful, great service”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Loved the location next City Creek, the modern design and excellent service. Contemporary design in lobby in rooms - very functional, super service. The front desk staff showed me 3 different units since I was looking fro a quiet room. Would always stay there if in SLC

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Whakatane, New Zealand
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed here in July 2013 to attend the USA Stampin' Up Convention. Very convenient location as the convention Centre was right across the road. As I am a coffee addict I was thrilled that I could sneak down early in the morning and get a coffee because there was a Starbucks in the foyer ... first time in USA, so everything was fantastic. The staff were very helpful and made sure we got to places out of the central city ... sorted a cab for us to go 20 minutes out of city and he made sure we just had to ring him and he came and got us back to the Marriott - Ivan was his name - ask them to book him - he is great. Our room was serviced everyday wonderfully by Lisa - we had the pleasure of meeting her a couple of times. Loved the cold drinks in the foyer as we walked in from the heat ... very close to everything downtown - would not hesitate to stay here again - thank you so much ...

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the city - great view at night with the lights
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I have over 800 lifetime nights at Marriott properties worldwide so I have a pretty good view of what a full service Marriott should be like. This one fails on nearly every level.

The front desk staff was very unhelpful and were not able to give me a room that I booked. They seemed poorly trained. I also spoke with the manager and she was just as bad.

The rooms are in fair condition. My room had a window that would not lock shut (and had apparently been screwed in / caulked in at one point) so even from floor 12 I could hear trucks and people talking on the street all night long. There is some construction going on that I could hear most of the night, so beware or ask.

The HVAC unit is VERY loud so either its on and you can't sleep or its off and you freeze and hear everything in the hallway.

The bathroom had hair and the door was filthy.

The bed was comfortable, at least. I've stayed at the other Marriott downtown and its past its prime as well but its more comfortable and friendly. Stay there if you can.

The one thing this hotel has going for it is that its right across the street from the convention center. I tend to stay away from convention center hotels because you are just a number. But if you are attending something there its certainly convenient.

Room Tip: 16th floor is tops
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank lucycan
North Salt Lake, Utah, United States
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed at this Marriott for one night right before Christmas because we thought it would be fun for our kids to go see the lights at Temple Square and then stay right downtown. The room was pretty much a standard Marriott room. I wish they would get queen size beds instead of full though. We paid a lot for parking $13 or $14. But that's about right for downtown. We had fun and I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in a north facing room if you want to have a view of the City Creek Shopping Center.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

$18/day parking, $18/day breakfast, wifi $14.95, no fridge, no microwave. What you're paying for is the convenient location but the room and amenities are nothing special. The room is small, the breakfast was average, the staff was friendly and quick to come to our room when needed, but the first room we were given had a musty smell and we asked to be moved. Won't be returning.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunshinecind
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel while visiting the Salt Lake City area. Desk staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel had very nice accommodations. The rooms were nicely appointed, clean and quiet. The cost did not include breakfast which we at in the hotel's restaurant. A little pricey but good. Would definitely stay at this hotel again when in SLC.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nmp66
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Traveled to SLC for the Teams conference and was so happy to be at a Marriott. The location was great as it was across from the Convention Center, next to a very nice mall and lots of food options.
The hotel is being renovated but it is not very evident which is great. The rooms are ok, nothing to write home about. I met the housekeeper on my floor (10) and she had the brightest smile and the biggest hear. She checked and doubled checked with me to ensure I had all the amenities I needed which was ironic since I had asked the front desk staff for a bottle of water and was directed to their "market" to get a $2.50 water even though part of the room amenities offer the Marriott VP water. There was one front desk staff which was a pleasure to talk with, she had curly spiral blonde hair and just made my stay better.
The restaurant has a nice variety and food which was tasty, I tried the eggs Benedict and it was delicious with welcoming staff. The Starbucks on site is mediocre with no toaster so cold/frozen bagels are your best breakfast option.

Overall I would visit again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business