“Excellent one weekend night stay, but weak on FREE Hhonors perks”

Hilton Salt Lake City Center
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed July 5, 2011

OK, a hotel stay in the town I grew up in (SLC, I left years ago and I remember when this hotel was a Sheraton) and had one night with my spouse away from our kids. With only a one night stay, can't say I know everything about the hotel. I can't mark 4.5 stars on my review, so I gave the Hilton the benefit of the doubt with 5 stars, but there are some issues listed below.

We got a good but somewhat hindered view on the top floor of the American Towers and the east mountains. The westward view form the executive lounge is also nice, but growing up in the east side of SLC I prefer the eastward view. Anyway, nice room, king bed that was comfortable. Bathrobes, other nice perks. Other pluses that the website doesn't advertise--parking is only 5 dollars on a weekend, breakfast buffet, normally 16 dollars (overpriced as are almost all large hotel buffets) was 6 dollars for gold Hhonors members which is OK (must say I feel should be free, but 6 is a far cry from 16), free internet (internet should be free at any hotel), and the workout room is much larger with better equipment than the website photo shows. Other positives are a nice, large pool (keep in mind, 18 story hotel, SLC has kids, the pool is usually crowded at night) and nice room. They also allowed for a very late checkout--2:30. That was very nice.

I had no issues with check in or check out, found the underground parking to be fine. The breakfast hours are until noon on weekends which is a very nice touch. The restaurant was not crowded when I was there. There is also a spa and many other things to do at a full service hotel, but in one day I don't bother trying everything.

There are some issues, however. The executive lounge is spacious and has a great view, but only had bottled water available. That is ridiculous--a large Hilton should have an executive lounge with food, breakfast in the morning and snacks in the late afternoon. Come on Hilton. I find it hard to believe that only one room on the top floor is available at 3:00 when my wife and I checked in, but that is what was claimed (yet not a busy night--it was a Friday night).

However, overall a pleasant surprise and I think $5.00 weekend parking (which is still too much, but much better than $13) should be on their website.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hilton Salt Lake City Center

Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed at this allocated accommodation for one night, arranged by ATI, as part of our fly drive tour of the Rockies, in June. This was our first stay at any Hilton in the world.

We used both the Valet parking ($16) and Bellman and both were very friendly. A good first impression.

Our room on the 14th floor was at the back and looked down on the indoor pool roof and surrounding office blocks. The room was a good size and the beds were very comfortable.

We had our evening meal in the hotel restaurant, Spencers, which was very good with large portions, but slightly expensive. My steak was one of the best in a long time. The server was very knowledgeable and attentive.

We also used the pool, which was large and also the Spa and sauna. The changing rooms are a good size with combination storage lockers (free). We had a hot buffet breakfast in Trofi’s and again this was good.

All in all, an excellent hotel and I would have given it a 5 rating. However for me, they lost a rating when checking out. Having used Travellers Cheques at numerous hotels and shops around the world, in the past, I asked the front desk to cash a Travellers Cheque (100 US dollars) for me. The front desk agent didn’t appear to understand what a TC was and I think she thought it was a personal cheque. It took her nearly 10 minutes for her messing around and ringing American Express to verify the cheque, hologram, number etc, etc, and to get authorisation to cash it. Never in all my 20 years of cashing a TC at any other hotel, have I had such trouble in getting some money! And to cap it all, she never said “Goodbye” or “have a nice day” ! Come on Hilton, get your act together !!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Stayed for business at this aging property. Check-in: seems like it was oversold and nothing was available on a higher floor even though it was nearly three pm. I took an available room that was 'accessible' and it was in poor condition (furnishings) with a shower stall that would spill water into the general bathroom area. I changed to a regular room after waiting an hour; was not pleased as I had been traveling all day. Both rooms I had been in were very tired, the carpeting and interior furniture were fully depreciated. The bed was comfortable.
The gold hh honors perks were poor compared to other Hilton's Ive been at, no lounge (it looks like it had been shuttered some time ago) , a hot breakfast discount or free continental buffet in the over-crowded restaurant downstairs. Food was good if you could deal with the mob of tour groups and kids. There was a very nice Wednesday eve reception for gold and platinums- thanks but would have preferred the lounge open nightly and some free drinks vouchers that worked after the morning (the coupons they gave me were only good for the am aparently as the starbucks was closed by early evening.
The gym had good and new equipment but it was exposed to the pool area and wreaked of chlorine and screaming kids. A very poor design in my opinion common to hotels built in that era (60s-70s?)
Service at this hotel was spotty, at times very good, like they went out of their way, and other times unaccommodating and sloppy. For instance, bellman and valet were great, but restaurant service was poor and non existent. My colleague- in a separate room- had another guest issued his room making for an awkward evening encounter by another traveler into his room. .Last , there were errors on my bill, charged for free INTERNET given my HH honors status; they corrected this when I pointed it out.
Honestly, I would have liked to rate this hotel higher, but the miscues in service and the very tired conditions of the rooms and gym conditions would have me recommend other options for the time being until they have a major renovation. There are plenty of other hotels in SLC.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2011

This hotel is close to the convention center, restaurants and Temple Square. I was upgraded to a junior suite when I checked in so I had a nice spacious room. The beds at the Hilton are always comfortable. They have a very good restaurant there, and there are many within walking distance. Of course, they charge for everything-parking, internet, refrigerator, etc. Typical of higher priced hotels-the more you pay the less you get for free. I was able to walk to the Salt Palace easily for my convention, other hotels are farther away.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2011

The hotel was OK, but when you add the charge for the parking garage, for wi-fi, for the bell boy, and for breakfast, we would have been much better off staying in a good motel at rack price. It is a paradox that Hilton adds a hefty charge for wi-fi, which is now free in any cheap motel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mojave
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Any time that we go to Salt Lake City we try to stay at the Hilton in Downtown SLC. It is comfortable and the rooms are so nice. We have stayed there a total of 4 times. The beds are so comfy to sleep in, and they even provide different types of pillows for people that like the ore firm or soft. The staff are courteous and polite, plus they can help with many things. They even helped us to book a Jazz game and get out tickets. Plus the location is great. Olive Garden aroung the corner, plus they have a very nice resturant in the hotel. Very expensive, but it made for a wonderful dinner out on the town. The pool and hot tub were also very comfortable, both indoors and very large. Kids loved staying there. Plus the towells (even the pool towells) were huge and fluffy. That made for a nice retreat back to our rooms.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
JKProtzman, General Manager at Hilton Salt Lake City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2011

Dear LuvTheMemories,
Thank you so much for your comments and your loyalty. I truly appreciate the feedback and am glad the the entire family enjoys our hotel.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

While attending a conference, the Hilton was home base and was it ever. The service, friendliness and willingness to serve was nothing short of phenomenal. "Bee" in the Trofi restaurant is a jewel in the Hilton crown. The bellman station was very accommodating. They set us up with "On Demand Transportation" that was more economical than renting a car, fabulous service. Great place to stay,

• Stayed: April 2011

Dear Livee1,
Thank you for the compliments, and especially for the recognition of "Bee" our Hospitality Ambassador ! I will share this with him and the Bell staff as well.