“You get what you pay for! Death threat not included!”
Review of Royal Garden Inn

Royal Garden Inn
Ranked #66 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Edinburgh
“You get what you pay for! Death threat not included!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Well, I wasn't coming here expecting The Ritz. I had paid little more than $50 for my stay and needed a place to sleep for two nights. I am a 20 year old girl, and was staying on my own. I was approached by 3 different men one night on my way home (on the street outside) and that was enough to freak me out. I went in and wrote down all of their descriptions in case I was murdered. To my horror, a man walked into my hotel room in the morning claiming to be hotel staff. I don't think he was! He apologised and left when I screamed, saying he had the wrong room.

As for the room itself, it smelled badly of mould and I felt like I couldn't breathe in the air safely. I put my towel over the pillow to sleep with more peace of mind (from germs).

The wifi that was supposedly offered was down, much to my inconvenience. I am British so my cell phone required wifi to work.

Breakfast was mediocre, but what are you expecting for the price.

There appeared to be a pool but I wouldn't touch it if you paid me.

All in all, a cheap motel for a cheap experience. I wouldn't go back out of choice but it wouldn't kill me if I was to stay again.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Arrived and couldn't find our reservation. We waited for 30 minutes until the asst manager finally found it. We decided to stay one more day and my wife paid. She noted a couple of days that later that they charged her for two days. We emailed the hotel - no response
The breakfast area was filthy and what was there was skimpy
Room was ok but dated
Would never go back

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed November 12, 2013

There were two positives to this hotel, the price and the location. It was located in downtown with easy access to all major highways and only about 10-15 minutes from the airport. Also, it was cheap, so I guess I got what I paid for. the room was very old and very dingy. when we got there the carpet in the whole room was wet. The wall paper was dirty and peeling. The comforter had burn holes in it from cigarettes, despite the fact it was a nonsmoking room. The door did not seem very secure, which wasn't good because we were on the first floor. Plus, the week we were there, the cops got called because there was a shooting in the parking lot, which I realize can happen anywhere, but let's just say, I'm not surprised based on the people that were generally hanging around. The service was good though and the staff was helpful when needed.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Taber, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I tried to give this hotel a fair review as the price was good. The room was filthy, several stains throughout carpet, black mood in. The bathroom with wallpaper trying to cover it up, the door frame to the bathroom was rotting out from what appeared to be water damage. There was lots of water damage on our ceiling by our sink, the ceiling tikes were walling out. The first morning we got up my husband went to get ice, the door was locked so he asked he cleaning lady if she could open it, when she couldn't she left to get help....a minute later a homeless man opened the door and vacated the ice room. The free breakfast was great except there were a few homeless people there as well, don't get me wrong I have nothing against homeless people however it was difficult to sit and eat my breakfast with the smell. Would not recommend and will not go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This inn is probably owned by Comfort Inn but not up to their standards. A fifties’ type design. Clean and comfortable with space for two queen beds. Staff anxious to please and respond almost immediately to a request. Typical continental breakfast but slow to replenish offerings. Rate attractive for late September but some other more upscale motels offer similar prices. Walkable distance to all major attractions downtown. Free shuttle from and to airport.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This place is gross and disgusting. Very dirty, entries to buildings have never been cleaned cement was dirty never seen a power wash or mop. All the rugs in the halls and rooms very dirty and sticky. Furniture dirty. Thought i was in Tijuana Room service started banging on door at 8am to clean came back several times until I had to yell at them to leave me alone until checkout. What a rip off the place needs a total over haul and new management.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dalforyou
Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am no cleanliness dramatic, however this place was really bad. Smoke smell all around (in a non-smoking room), stains all over the carpets and walls, including the bathroom (housekeeping really does not recognize red blood spots on the white toilet here). Very messy around the rooms (glass, paper, cans, ...). Would never dare to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple