“Rude, Rude Staff - They will make you wish to never return to Salt Lake City” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Garden Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Royal Garden Inn
Ranked #66 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Dublin, Ireland
“Rude, Rude Staff - They will make you wish to never return to Salt Lake City”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I booked to stay here (also under the name AWA Hostel Royal Garden) at the last minute (9 hours before arrival) through hostelbookers.com.

I arrived at 10pm to be 'greeted' by a quite hostile and what seemed pissed off young women. I asked if this was the AWA Hostel Royal Garden, she said no, and informed me she had no rooms available, without checking my booking.

At a loss, I decided to try the Hilton, who were great help but informed me there was a big conference in town so all rooms were booked out in Salt Lake City. I then went to Motel 6 who told me the same, they were booked out too. I returned to the Hilton as their receptionist, Chad, had told me return if I couldn't find anywhere and he would order a cab for me to take me back to the airport if I wanted. He was a pleasure to deal with and a perfect representative of the Hilton, I was dissappointed I couldn't get a booking but will consider it in future because of this guy. I asked them to ring the Royal Garden, just on a hunch, to check on my booking. A guy answered the phone and admitted that yes they were also known as the AWA Hostel Royal Garden, but no they didn't have a booking under my name.

I decided to visit them again, just to see. The guy who was on the phone, Dave, was now there with the rude girl. He confirmed what he told the Hilton, and was very disinterested in entertaining me. I checked the address on my booking and sure enough I was at the right place. However, to his credit, he did say that if I booked through a third party website they hadn't yet been informed so I would need to take up my complaint with hostelbookers. However, when I asked if all of their rooms had been checked in, at what was now 11.30pm, he confirmed there were three rooms still waiting on their guests. He then did admit that they had several smoking rooms available. When I asked why this wasn't offered to me before he said he thought I wouldn't want it. I offered to pay $59, considering this was the going rate, yet he refused and said they had to take the best offer they could take - their manager had told them no less than $79. I asked him if I was willing to pay them $59 (bearing in mind the rate I paid with hostelbookers was $53, including their fee) but he told me he wasn't willing to negotiate. He got quite hostile (as I know I was beginning to get too) but overall both him and the girl were both so indifferent and apathetic that I really do believe that they shouldn't actually work in hospitality.

However, the overall experience left me eager to get out of Salt Lake City, so I returned to the airport to wait for my next day 2pm flight. Vowing never to come back.... until an angel from Delta directed me to the Haxton Manor... and my negative experience of Salt Lake City because of Dave and his female colleague at the Royal Garden Inn remains just a negative experience of that establishment and not of Salt Lake City overall.

For all people looking for somewhere to stay.... Do Not Consider the Royal Garden as it will just make your stay in Salt Lake City horrendous.

Thanks to Chad from the Hilton, and my 2 taxi drivers who were a great representative of Salt Lake City. The staff at Royal Garden Inn have a LOT to learn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank littleworldwanderer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mount Airy, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 days during a convention in early May 2013. The desk staff was nice enough but that is where any positive experiences ended. The parking lot was full of teens just hanging out, not that I could see anything bad going on, but not a good impression. The room was dirty. Stains on the walls and carpet were just gross. The television was useless. We received 19 channels, 8 of them were static or a still advertisement image. The remaining 11 were of no real use. A channel guide was not present in the room and calling the front desk to remedy the static channels was pointless, they did nothing. They did not even provide the basic traveller channels such as the Weather Channel. When we asked about it the desk told us we could watch the local news. Over the course of the 4 days we felt more like we were staying in a home for transients and drug users rather than an Inn.

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all costs!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Roger E
lawrence, ks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Upon ck in there were 2 girls who offered any infomation or friendly greeting. Acted as if they hoped the day would soon be over. Parking was not ample enough. When we said no parking they said oh my. .try on other side of building. None there either. Finally found a spot..they did not tell us about the pool, hot tub or continetel breakfast..the room was large however furniture was fifties. Coffee maker was broken. Hallway was dirty & smelly. Great price though. Places to eat across the street & good breakfast next door.

1 Thank rheva v
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

This place is disgusting. We arrived late one evening, got to our room exhausted after the drive, and it smelled like horrendous mold. The carpet was wet as if it had flooded. I couldnt really sleep as the smell kept me awake. We switched rooms in the morning and the next one was even dirtier. No mold smell in the second one, just cigarettes and booze. It was a non smoking room. If you have any dignity or care about how your clothes might smell the next day do not stay here. They also advertise a pool. Its surrounded by orange cones and caution tape. Creepy.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank thegoodspace
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

First & last time I would stay there. First the room smelled like mildew. Then the heater hardly worked and when it did it was loud. And lastly BED BUGS! It was the worst room I've ever stayed in. I actually slept in the car.

1 Thank Northern_Ute
Royal I, General Manager at Royal Garden Inn, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We would have welcomed the opportunity to change you to a better room. At this time of year when the daily temperature fluctuates between heat and cold it takes our system time to adjust to the variances. The system responds to the demands of the rooms. If a majority of the rooms are calling for AC, then the heating will be delayed(but still functional.). As many of our rooms are exterior entry, pests are always a concern in spring and summer. We work very hard to minimize any pest problems and have a national pest control company on property monthly. Bed bugs are a special concern for us. Our housekeepers and maintenance personnel are trained to spot these insects while performing their duties.If the presence of these pests is even suspected, we close the problem unit and surrounding rooms and bring in an exterminator to check and treat if necessary..We have not had a report of bed bugs in over a year.
Arusha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This place is nothing special. But if all you need is a bed and a bathroom somewhere in DT Salt Lake City - than I would highly recommend it. It's in walking distance of most things downtown, nearby the Salt Palace, and overall - very worthwhile for a short stay. It is not full of luxury, but it is clean.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business