“Cheap but not cheerful”
Review of Royal Garden Inn

Royal Garden Inn
Ranked #66 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed here twice, 3 nights each time with a visit with friends in between. We would not have returned for 2nd stay but when this was booked, no cancellation was possible. Rooms and corridors were smelly and musty, both rooms were meant to be non smoking but smelt of smoke, tried to change room for 2nd stay but the room offered was even worse. Some staff were helpful, others not, surprising for the US where generally customer service is very good. On our last morning, the breakfast had run out of milk and tinned fruit 40 mins before breakfast ended! Breakfast itself was adequate but not brilliant. Will not stay here again on next trip to area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Christine R

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Bad:Indefinite stains of the carpet, toilet paper rolls had not been refilled. The room was hot, and the air did not seem to work.
Good: The beds were comfortable, plenty of hot water for shower, and my dogs were able to stay for an extra $20. Was conveniently located.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel was about 1 mile from downtown Salt Lake City and was reasonable enough. The staff were friendly and checkin was efficient, the rooms are spacious and were clean and tidy, a little tired and worn maybe, but the bed was comfortable and the room was clean, so no complaints from that perspective. The biggest complaint I have about this hotel is actually the other guests, some of whom bring their pets with them and allow them to bark at all hours of the night.

The walk to downtown was easy and flat, and on a nice day, a lovely walk. I didn't try the free breakfast, so I can't comment, however the free WiFi was much appreciated and very useful.

Room Tip: There are no lifts, so ask for a ground floor if the stairs will bother you or you have a lot of lug...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FishInTheCity
Reviewed March 14, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 1/25/13 with my 60 year old in-laws, dogs, and baby. As my husband was climbing the very icy stairs the STAIR BROKE UNDERNEATH HIM and a concrete step came crashing down next to me as I carried our baby. Needless to say we were less than thrilled. My in laws room had hairs and other assorted grossness in the room- they did not think it had been cleaned beyond the sheets being changed (we hope). When my husband reported his accident the guy at the counter was not nice at all, and the next morning, although the ladies were nicer and comped our room, not once did anyone ask if we were ok. What if it had been my mother in law on that step? What if the STEP THAT FELL HAD HIT OUR BABY?? What if my husband hadn't caught himself and he became disabled? Although we filled out an incident report nobody has contacted us, (Hi! Managaer Mark Richmond! Awaiting your call!) still, to follow up or ask if we're ok. I couldn't be more disgusted, and I still shake to think of the harm that could have befallen our kid if I'd been any closer. Do not stay here. It is not worth your life. I know that sounds dramatic but other steps had already been replaced so it's obvious they know there are structural issues going on.

Room Tip: No fridge in rooms, noisy fan
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wyowoman28
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The room we had was a very nice size, had a separate sink outside of the bathroom/toilet (awesome!), comfortable bed, good heat, and good, free wifi. The only thing that could have made the room better would have been a mini fridge. There was a coffee maker though. Our price ($48) included a nice breakfast of juice, tea, coffee, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, biscuits and gravy, muffins and waffles (self-serve) which is served 6-9 every day. It is within walking distance of restaurants and shopping, and super close to Breweries (movie theater). We will definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I attempted to stay here 1/22/13 while the Sundance Film Festival, an outdoor expo and some other event were going on. I found it through another app on my phone. Anyway, this place was absolutely disgusting! To give you an idea, there were strands of hair and crumbs of some kind between the sheets and on the floors, dried soda on the walls, what looked like dried blood on the corner of the desk and a piece of a condom wrapper on the floor!!! I refused to even sit on the comforter while trying to find a room elsewhere.. Do yourself a solid and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business