“I can't give it three stars.”
Review of Peery Hotel

Peery Hotel
Ranked #40 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I realize many registers show this hotel as a three star, but there were too many problems here. They have taken a grand dame of SLC hotels and have done nice work in areas, but there are a lot of deficiencies. The paint was really peeling from window frames, the wallpaper was peeling in the bath and the tightness of the room was more extreme than I expected even after reading how small the rooms were. The pull down window shade left much to be desired. (The Tempurpedic beds were very comfortable!) This is not a hotel where I would ever recommend taking children as the noise level from room to room or in the hallways is just too distracting. Keep up the work and it will hit four stars, but it just has a long way left to go. It is wonderful to see something so historic being preserved. The lobby area is huge and has a beautiful fireplace and some lovely antiques. The old elevator is, well, old, but it is pretty cool.

Room Tip: Request outside rooms so you don't have to stare at the ceiling of the outer levels.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 3, 2013

So wonderful to be excited about a hotel. It was a million times better than I hoped. The bed was better than our comfy bed at home and the decor was pleasing and very well done. It's marvelous to have a choice from all the "box" hotels. We like local!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a historical bulding! It is clean, it smells very good...a lot better than some of the "new" hotels I've stayed in. There is no hotel parking really, but being downtown...that is pretty much how most places are. The service was great and the employees were very helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Peery hotel for 2 nights for a friend's wedding in Salt Lake. We loved the place, is historic, clean, old but well kept, nice staff, great location and good value for the money... I just didn't give the 5 stars because the rooms really are small, we were very lucky and got a King suite which was actually pretty nice and big, but we saw our friends rooms (not a suite) and they were very small. I loved everything else, really, they have good coffee in the morning at the lobby and lemon water all day long, the staff is really helpful and they actually gave us some coupons for free appetizer at the next door macaroni grill. Oh !!! I almost forget the amazing beds, the bed is tempurpedic super comfy, you will sleep like a baby, loved it, clean sheets and towels, also. It is a great experience to stay at the Peery, I definitely will be back the next time we are in town.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a suite, really.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Well. one would think that the Peery hotel, being historic, and having amenities, would be a neat choice for a downtown stay in Salt Lake City. The location is indeed excellent, and the Macaroni restaurant adjacent is a delight. But, our room's big bed was within inches of the door. there were bugs in the tub, the windows reverberated from generators or something just outside, and so forth. Some nice touches were lemon water available at all times in the foyer, a nice exercise room, and a (very slow) internet terminal available for free in the "business center." Was the person sleeping in a sleeping bag near the stairs in the basement part of the hotel staff or a homeless person?

Room Tip: Probably avoid the back wall of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I love the Peery. I love it's history, and style. However, I have issues with it, some voiced here before. I knew what to expect so was not floored by the issues. The rooms are cute, but small: the bathroom door was 2.5' from my side of the bed. The big old windows are lovely but hard to control light coming in/out of them (and still have some privacy). The heating–a/c unit is loud. Parking is a pain (like all of downtown SLC). Still...I do like this place. It's hard to find history & style in Salt Lake, and the Peery has both.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I come to SLC a lot because my son is a U of U student. I have always stayed at the Guest House on campus but now I travel with my dogs. So we looked for a hotel that accepted pets the Guest House does not. The Peery did just that. This hotel is absolutely beautiful. Very historic. My only problem and why I rated this hotel average is because the convenience items were missing. Such as a coffee maker, microwave, or small fridge only silver tray service for breakfast...etc. The toiletries didn't match brands either which was strange. (Shampoo different brand than conditioner etc) Our experience was pleasant but slightly inconvenient at times.

Room Tip: The parlor suite was very nice. Sat on the corner of the floor. Gorgeous room very elegant.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo