“Ask LOTS of questions & get verification!”
Review of Peery Hotel

Peery Hotel
Ranked #47 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Glendale, Arizona
“Ask LOTS of questions & get verification!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Such a beautiful, historic hotel with friendly staff. Made a reservation 5 months in advance to stay here. Was quoted a price of $119/night and a refrigerator in the room would be a ONE TIME $10 fee. Stayed 6 nights. Bill had an extra $60 charge - seems the refrigerator was $10/day. No budging on the $60 even though it was their mistake. As I was checking out, another gentleman was upset because he had been quoted $129/night but on his bill he was charged $159/night. He wanted it corrected and also the daily internet charge removed because the internet was so slow he could not get his business done. He was on the phone with the manager (a long time at this point) when I left... hope he did better than I did! Moral of this review: don't stay at the Peery, or verify over & over the charges before giving your credit card information. I travel to SLC multiple times a year & thought this would be a nice change, boy was I wrong! They get a 2 star on the rating only because of the staff & the hotel itself. Management is horrendous!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank RRBar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is older. You can smell the greese from the old elevator when you start to get close. The floors creek when you get off but inside the room didn't. Not much for families. No pool or anything fun. The parking is $6 for 10 hours or. $12 for 24 hours. The room we got from Priceline was a single queen very very small. The bathroom door wouldn't close but after a full body weight push it did. No free wi-fi. Guess I should of bid more for an actual hotel chain. The front desk staff was ok bit didn't let us know about anything at all. Just checked in.
The most annoying thing was the guy who guards the front door. He seemed to be kinda nosy about what we were doing. Kinda creepy.
Location is great for downtown. But I didn't realize there were so many homeless in Salt Lake. Bed was great.

• Stayed June 2013
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 1, 2013

On the big plus side is the the staff were all helpful and friendly. They gave us good tips on where to eat and what to see. Another plus is the location very walkable to the major downtown sites although our walking was curtailed by thunderstorms. The minuses include an elevator that didn't stop at the 2nd floor which of course was where our room was located; WiFi did not work in the room and it was spotty in the lobby. Also, the entire hotel could use some refurbishing. The bed was very comfortable but some of the furniture was more worn than antique.The parking in a municipal lot right behind the Peery is ample and easy but a bit pricey for overnight ($12.00).

If I had to give this hotel a letter grade I'd go with a solid "B". Mostly based on location, helpfulness of the staff and some historic charm. I would suggest that lowering the nightly rate might be the right thing to do considering the cost of parking and the lack of WiFi in the room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Moab, Utah, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Peery's old-fashioned decor is part of its charm, but this hotel is in serious need of a makeover. The lobby of the hotel is nice, but considerable wear and tear is apparent everywhere else. While it's not a dreadful hotel, it is not worth the price they are charging.

I had stayed at the Peery previously, and at that time had booked a large suite. That room had a large bathroom with a nice bathtub, and I think was more generously decorated. This time, I booked a regular king. The room was tiny. The bathroom was barely large enough to accommodate the toilet and a shower the size of a cupboard. The shower smelled very strongly of mildew. A pedestal sink was in the main part of the room. There was no room for toiletries. The room was not charming old, it was depressing and run-down old. The television was practically an antique. The carpet in the hallways is torn and coming up. I will say this, though: the bed was comfortable. But the hotel is so loud, I still couldn't sleep. Any time the people in the room above me moved, the noise was broadcast and magnified through the creaky ceiling.
Some staff members are a bit surly. The Starbucks coffee is dispensed from pump urns in the lobby. During my stay, there were three urns: one marked "decaf", one marked "coffee", and one unmarked. The one marked "coffee" did not work. A staff member came over and instructed me to use the one marked "decaf". I told him I didn't want decaf, and he told me it was not decaf. I pointed out the sign that said "decaf", and he told me it wasn't decaf. What?
I walked down the street and bought some coffee.

Room Tip: Definitely book a suite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cas W
Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights in May 2013. I thought this hotel was expensive for what it is. Sure, it has a nice old fashioned foyer and king bed was comfortable. The pull out sofa bed was dreadfully uncomfortable.

After convincing the maintenance guy that the air con wasn't working we moved to another room. Our second room air con wasn't working good but luckily it got fixed.

We found the some of the staff not too friendly at all, only a few were good (especially Laura). They were also very pushy for us to pay our accommodation before we check out. I don't understand why they were just too pushy and its not like they didn't have our credit card details. Most hotels let you pay after you check out right?

One of the most frustrating things we found was the amount of times we had to get our electronic keys changed to our room. They constantly didn't work and

Room Tip: Stay elswhere as hotels are cheaper and better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Denison, Iowa, United States
Reviewed May 18, 2013

An old refurbished hotel. There is some awesome old furniture in the place. The haunted elevator works. Actually the bed was very good. Location was great. I did book the room online as we were driving along Interstate 80. We used the hotel website, liked the price and checked in with no trouble. When I checked out in the morning, they had charged me $35 more than I had booked the room for. I had the confirmation email on my ipad and I showed it to them and they credited my card for the difference. They did not really have an explanation for the overcharge, just acknowledged it and corrected it. Across the street is one of the better brew pubs I have seen - awesome food and beer! I'll go back to SLC just for that.

Room Tip: We had a room on the west side of the hotel and when we arrived, there were two large windows. The...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bradley_N_13461
bwaybaby109
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My room is clean, my bed is a Tempur-pedic, my view is of the air conditioner and into other rooms. The lobby is beautiful, the location is great, the person next door took a shower at midnight that sounded like a geyser in my room. There's a hairdryer and an iron, so I can get ready in the morning. This hotel is fine and I was able to get a really great last-minute deal on the room. I'd stay here again, but I also might look for other options around downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business