“First time at Microtel Inn”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #42 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Calgary, Canada
“First time at Microtel Inn”
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Our first time to stay at Microtel at $54 for the night...it was worth it! We missed our connecting flight so needed a place to sleep. This hotel is only 3 stars but service was 5 stars. Isaac at front desk person and Halit our shuttle driver provided excellent service and were both professional, accommodating, helpful and friendly. Very close to the airport, free airport shuttle service, offers continental breakfast, free internet service. We did not get to see the other amenities. Rooms are average size, they must deal with airport layovers because they provide free toiletries as well, beds are clean and comfortable and surrounding areas are well-maintained. If you are not too worried about luxuries and want a very good place to sleep at reasonable rate, we recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marites8
microtelslc, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time out to write us a review. We,hope you will give us a call next time your in town. We would love to have you as our guest again. Thank you for choosing Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Illinois
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I was just looking for a hotel cheap enough to get two rooms so we could have a little space to spread out the night before we flew out of Salt Lake City. We had a rental car to return in the evening as we did not want to deal with it at 5 AM the next morning. After returning the car, we called the hotel for the FREE shuttle. We were told it would be 20 minutes (about what we expected). A minute later we received a call back from the hotel that the manager would be picking us up in his personal car as he did not want us to have to wait that long. While I was in the lobby using the FREE computer next to the FREE coffee, juice and hot chocolate a couple needed an ATM and the one in the hotel was out of service. The manager drove them to an ATM a mile away. The customer service was awesome!

We personally loved the rooms. The dark gray mirror wall was artsy, the cushioned window seat was a hit ( very cool to lay on it watching the planes land with the mountains in the background) and the room was spotless - literally spotless. I love it when hotels make little fans out of the wash clothes - our kleenex box had little kleenex fans - how cute is that? Much nicer towels and bedding than you would expect at this price. Very comfortable beds. Yes, there were some carpet stains in the stairwell, but come on...who really cares about that? My daughter and I both get spooked easily, but never felt the slightest bit uncomfortable here. As for the highway noise someone complained about, I did not notice any traffic noise. There was noise from planes landing and taking off, but the hotel is VERY close to the airport so that was to be expected.

The hotel provided a list of restaurants that delivered. Pizza from Papa John's won us over. I would stay in this hotel again in a heartbeat. Loved it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank expat2
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
Reviewed April 14, 2010

We stayed one night between flights. It was the first time that we had stayed at a Microtel and it worked out. Apparently the motel is popular with truck drivers.

The clerk at reception, Isaac, was pleasant, helpful, cooperative and informative. He assigned us the type of room we requested, and this contributed to the success of our overnight stay.

The room was more spacious and better appointed than we had expected. It included the essentials for a short visit, or one where you would not spend much time in the room. The TV had only a limited selection of channels. Though windows had double glazing, we could hear the sounds of aircraft landing and taking off; however, they were subdued and did not bother us.

An unfortunate weakness stems from rooms having (unnecessary) connecting doors to the next room. These reduce the soundproofing between rooms, so you might be bothered by noise if you do not have considerate neighbors next door. Another weakness results from the poor fit and lack of a seal between the room door and the door frame. This allows the noise of banging doors, movement and voices to enter from the corridor.

The lobby had a computer with Internet connection for the use of guests; the free WiFi in the room worked well. Both local and interstate national calls were also free, an unusual and useful feature.

The motel shuttle to the airport left on the hour: you needed to register at reception the time of the trip you wanted.

The breakfast included with the tariff was basic in both selection and quality, certainly not luxurious as claimed.

Within a 2-3 minute walk, the neighboring Hyatt served light bar meals. If you crossed the main road, Wright Brothers Drive, you could have a restaurant meal at Roberts Deli. We ate there: the service was good and the food reasonable. If you went down Wiley Post way, you could eat at a hotel restaurant in the Holiday Inn or in the Hilton (more expensive). Other hotels in the immediate area might also have had restaurants; however, we did not explore that far. Reception can give you a rough map of the immediate area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chelydra
heliummonkey12
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I was absolutely amazed with the service that this hotel provided. I came in on a delayed flight along with about 40 other passengers. The staff was extremely helpful. They got us all checked in and into our rooms in no time at all. The rooms were spacious, immaculate, comfortable and very well equipped. The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast and were taken back to the airport in ample time to catch our flight.
I would definately stay here if I am in Salt Lake City again. The hotel is great and the staff is exceptional. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
coming
Idaho
Reviewed March 16, 2010

I was given a voucher for this "hotel" by American Airlines due to flight delays. Whoever said that it was an 80's throwback was exactly right. Awful, dingy mauve carpet. I almost walked out, but it was late and I was tired. The front desk lady asked me if I preferred 2nd or 3rd floor, I told her 3rd and as far away from the road as possible (it is right on the highway), so she proceeds to tell the entire lobby which room she is putting me in (I am a single women traveling alone). Great! I get to me room, the beds look nice but the headboard wall is a mirrored wall. I looks kind of shady, and it was the wall that backed up to the housekeeping room. I locked the door, but noticed that the lock was not very secure. I am not a paranoid person by nature (I don't even lock my car or house), but I had a very bad feeling about this. I turned on the TV & got into bed. I don't sleep without TV, so I tried to find something on and there were only 10 channels! And only one network channel (ABC). What?!?!
I finally fell asleep, then was awakened by someone knocking at my door at 11:00pm. I almost had a heart attack! I did not answer the door. I am sure that someone who overheard that front desk lady tell me my room or even one of the staff knocked on my door. The scariest experience I have ever had at a hotel. I did not sleep the rest of the night. Then I tried to workout in the "gym", which was just hotel room with a bike that didn't work and a crappy treadmill and a nautilus machine. Oh, and a TV with 3 channels. Worst. Hotel. Ever. Do not stay here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank mtngalID

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Salida, Colorado
Reviewed February 8, 2010

This airport hotel offers clean, basic rooms in a quiet location near the airport. The standard room does not have a refrigerator, microwave or coffee making facilities. There is a computer terminal in the lobby for accessing the internet for free. The BIG drawback to this location is the limited possibility of finding food. There is one restaurant about 2 blocks away (Roberts) but it is closed on weekends. The Hyatt nearby has a limited bar menu at inflated prices ($9 for a hamburger and $6 for a beer)and that's it! If you come only to sleep, this is a comfortable, clean place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank climber_in_CH
Monroe, NH
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We got stuck in SLC for a week and luckily landed here. The staff is amazing and the hotel was immaculate - I have NEVER seen a cleaner hotel anywhere in the world. Very inexpensive but very comfortable and tastefully decorated. The bed was absolutely the best hotel bed I've ever slept on; the linens/pillows exquisite and I travel frequently. The flat screen TV mounted on the wall was a nice updated touch. The staff went out of their way to help us out. There is a wonderful restaurant (Roberts) with an amazing selection of food nearby. Despite being close to the airport, the area was quiet and safe. I felt comfortable getting out for a little exercise.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business