“BED BUGS!”

Ranked #66 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“BED BUGS!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

After a horrible night in a filthy room that included stained bedspreads, nasty carpet, a backed-up sink and a front desk clerk who would never answer the phone, we awoke the next morning to find BED BUGS in my child's bed. We had rented two rooks, and they refunded the price of the buggy room, but now we had to worry about bringing home unwanted hitchhikers, sanitizing everything, not to mention my daughter was covered in bites. Disgusting! Avoid this place at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't pick room 207!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank SunnyK1974
Adam M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Traveler,

We are devastated to hear of the incident you experienced while at the Econolodge. We will do everything in our power to make sure that this occurance will not happen twice. We can assure you that all proper measures have been taken care of to eliminate this issue permanently.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Whether good or bad, sharing your experience on social media is greatly appreciated.

We hope for another chance to serve you in the future, it will be our pleasure to make this right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Hebrew first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 9, 2014

You get what you pay for. I stayed here for less than 50.00 a night. If you need a clean, cheap place to flop, this is it. Helpful staff, TV, free wifi, good bed, hot water. Towels are a little thin, room is a little roughed up, but like I said, you get what you pay for.

One word of caution. It is around the corner from the arena where the Jazz play. I was here on a game night - it was packed. And after the game, there a lot of noise in the parking lot. So if you're looking for a good sleep, don't stay here on game nights.

Also, right across the street is a very popular little restaurant called The Red Iguana. They serve authentic Mexican food and do a pretty decent job.

Room Tip: See comments above re: Game nights.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Adam M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Adam Mitchell
Econolodge Downtown Salt Lake City
toronto
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Reading the reviews for this property, I think people need to remember that it's a $50/night motel...can't expect the Ritz. Unfortunately I paid three times that due to booking during Sundance and a convention, and I'm pretty annoyed about that. $150+ is the price for a decent mid-range hotel and this is far from it, but I was desperate. Clearly so were a lot of others as the hotel was full. I was extra annoyed when I saw the other independent motels down the street that were advertising regular price, but they're not on Expedia. I expected dated/worn decor, noisy heating, burns in the comforters, drawers that don't close properly, a toilet that keeps running etc, marks and stains, and that's exactly what I got. However, for the one night I was there, it was generally clean and the bed was surprisingly comfortable. The location was better than I expected - 20-minute walk/5-minute drive to Temple Square, and it was also on a Trax route. It's also a short drive to the airport. The area is definitely empty at night but that's what I found about SLC in general...once you leave downtown, it's a pretty desolate place. I didn't see anyone shady though it was winter. A bunch of men did wake me up at 4:30am and I hear a few strange noises in the night. Econo Lodge however is across the street from great authentic Mexican food - the Red Iguana - and there are more useful places down the street - laundry, McDonald's, a Mexican grocery, 7/11 etc. Besides the price, my other complaint was the free shuttle...a fine idea but the two times I ended up using it, there was miscommunication between the staff and the driver, and I was forgotten about so I ended up wasting time waiting and wondering if I should take a cab instead. I didn't try the breakfast but I doubt it was impressive...they serve it in two guest rooms which is a bit odd. Also the lobby is really shabby and should be upgraded as it gives a terrible first impression. If I was spending several days in SLC I would definitely spring for a better hotel but as a place to spend the night while passing through, I thought it was just fine and is what a $50 hotel in a city is typically like.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jen M
Adam M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at the Econolodge. The info that you provided was very helpful to other travelers. We value all of our guest's comments and take them very seriously. It was great that you were able to try the Red Iguana, they are a real treat to have across the street.

If traveling through Salt Lake City again, please reach out to me and I'll be sure to offer a discounted rate. I apologize that you are catching us at a very busy time. Thank you again for your time and we hope to have another chance to serve you in the future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 20, 2014

When I called to confirm our reservation, a real live person at the hotel answered the phone and gave GREAT directions--especially helpful since it was dark when we arrived, and I was driving a U-Haul truck with someone driving behind me.
And they couldn't have been nicer or more professional when we did arrive.
Room was clean and very reasonably priced. If I was traveling through Salt Lake City again, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to complete an online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Adam Mitchell
Grand Marais, Minnesota
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Property is dated and could use some renovation. The location is very good for visiting the downtown area. The AC/Heater was very noisy in our room which made for a hard night sleep. Bathroom needs to be redone. No Hair Dryer in ther room. I would check out other hotels in the same price range before I stayed here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This place is a nightmare. Please read through this and take my advice to never stay here. My husband, myself and our puppy planned to stay a night in SLC as one of our stops on our way out to move to San Francisco. I pre booked this last minute stop and chose Econo Lodge knowing it was pet friendly and pretty cheap. Just looking for a place to sleep 6 hrs, shower and hit the road first thing the next morning. Nothing special expected as it is an Econo Lodge. However the minute we pulled into the parking lot around 10:30 PM and witnessing a group of people in the parking lot drinking and being inappropriately loud for that time of night- I knew this was not a good idea. I went in to check us in, took the front desk lady 5 minutes to get to the front. During that time I noticed how dirty the lobby was, and the door handle was broken. She took 2 complaint calls while i was checking in. When I walked into the room I was appalled. Dirtiest hotel floor I have ever seen, cigarette burn holes on top of the comforter that was covering what looked like a horrible old lumpy and over used cheap mattress. The TV was so blurry that they might as well throw it away, the curtains had to burn holes that looked like the size of silver dollars making our room visible to any outsider that walked by. There was a huge draft due to the leaky-loose doorways and the walls were paper thin hearing loud noises from every direction including the party in the parking lot with sketchy people who were clearly not guests or they lived in the motel. My husband came in the room and I said I don't think I can stay here-- he is usually the one that tells me to tough it up, and we had been driving for over 14 hrs that day and knew he would be so exhausted and he probably just wanted to crash and get out of there ASAP in the AM.. He took one look around and said lets go.. Our fun loving puppy wouldn't even step foot in the room and was concerned about the people hanging out in the parking lot by our car full of our belongings. My husband went back to the front desk lady and told her the rooms are not sanitary and we were going to just keep moving on with our drive. She simply replies "OK". What?!?? Who just says ok to that? Clearly someone who deals with this on an ongoing basis and dosent give a crap. So technically we never spent the night there and ate our room fee that we had pre paid for, but honestly after reading some of these other reviews you couldn't pay me to stay at that sketchy dump. Again- I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons or even Holiday inn status by any means, but this dump being categorized as a choice hotel left me with the assumption it would at least be clean and safe. The pictures are completely misleading- so please if you are in my situation I urge you to not stay here.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank AnnaMN2SF
Adam M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Anna,

We're very sorry to hear about your experience with the Econolodge downtown Salt Lake City. I would like to start by saying thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Tripadvisor is a major contributor to our hotel's customer responses and hotel's success. I apologize that the room or initial appearance was not satisfactory. I have shared this review with our Owner and Maintenance Supervisor to work on correcting these issues. We wish you safe travels on your move to San Francisco.

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Although the location is good, avoid this place at all costs. The room was dirty. The rug had not been cleaned... ever; we had to leave our shoes on. The toilet wouldn't stop running without manually stopping it. Single pane windows let in noise all night from the drunks in the parking lot. Choice hotels should not be associated with this place. Thankfully, we only spent one night here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple