“Even less than expected”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #65 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We booked 4 rooms at this place as we wanted to be close to the Red Iguana restaurant and the pictures online looked okay. These pictures are NOT what you get if any of the 6 rooms we looked at are any indication. My room was okay but could really use a carpet cleaning. Room 107 carpet looked like the chalk outline was the only thing missing over the huge carpet stain. Room 108 had no air conditioning. Room 121 and 122 doorway looked like someone actually took a crowbar to pry open the doors. Room 121 door does not latch very well. On the great side of things, the Red Iguana restaurant just across the street was fantastic if you like real Mexican food. From Santana and ZZ Top signing the walls to a packed house by 6PM to enjoy the food.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the office seemed less offensive (101-106 I think).
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Adam M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Dean,

I want to thank you for taking the time share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are working hard to eliminate poor experiences. Your comments were very helpful and we are working hard with our Housekeeping and Maintenance departments to correct the issues you mentioned. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the Red Iguana. They are a treat to have so close. We thank you for your business and hope to have another opportunity to serve you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Downtown

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The GM, Mark...and Driver Charlie made my stay great! Mark went out of his way to accommodate me. Wonderful service! Walking distance to Temple Square and Gateway Mall. Paint in room was peeling, and the sink didn't drain, but I consider this a great place for the price!
Free shuttle to and from airport-as well as around the city!

Room Tip: Check the non-smoking rooms for odors.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Evan M

Dear Evan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor. I also appreciate the feedback in regards to the items not properly working in your room. We are working hard with the staff to eliminate any malfuntioning items in the rooms to make sure you have an enjoyable experience. Were glad to hear that you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle and got to see some nice things in SLC. Thank you for your kind words and feedback. We hope to serve you again soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed here, and the bed bugs ate me up. I was in misery for three or four days. Couldn't even sleep because of the intense itching. I asked the manager, Adam, to reimburse me for medical expenses, which he said he would. He never did send me the check for my expenses, even after several calls. He just kept telling me it would be sent.
AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Traveler,

It kills me to hear of your unfortunate experience. I assure you that this in an uncommon incident and I will do everything I can to make it right. Please reach out to me via phone or email and I will be happy to send money for any monetary expenses that you might have paid out of pocket. My contact info is econogm.ut043@gmail.com or 801-363-0062.

I do want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor and we are working hard to eliminate circumstances like this. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stay here each time I visit SLC (at least 2 times a year). I love the proximity to downtown, and I especially appreciate the free shuttle to both the airport and to the downtown area - it makes it unnecessary to rent a vehicle while staying in town. (There's also a UT Trax location very close by) The staff are very friendly and accommodating - I appreciate that they remember me each time I visit. The rooms are clean, and sufficient for the age of the hotel and the price. Each room is individually temperature controlled, with room darkening curtains at the windows. The wifi is a little spotty, but nothing to complain about. The breakfast area is small, and it's not a hot breakfast, but it's enough to start the day.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank CdnFLgurl

Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience while in SLC. This is why we love Tripadvisor. We are happy to hear of your experience and loyalty to the Econolodge. It pleases me to hear that you were able to utilize the shuttle to downtown and airport. I do apologize about the spotty internet. We have recently invested in 8 more access points in the hotel to improve the strength and speeds of the internet. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to serving you in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Picked this hotel as it was not far from the airport. The pool was freezing cold even with it being 88 degrees outside. The hotel is located right under the interstate. Very loud. Rooms very out dated. The door lock screws were stripped. I put my suitcase up against the door when we went to bed. Washed my hands and the towel holder fell off the wall. The free Wifi did not work very well. The breakfast room had only 6 chairs. Had the a/c set at 60 all night. The room was still very warm. Should have paid more to stay somewhere nicer. Was on a two week trip and by far this was the worst hotel we stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ladyofthelake89451
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed there for one night. The room was clean and functional and served its purpose. No fridge, but ice was available. Coffee machine in the room. Bed was not all that comfortable. Steps to first floor did not give a good impression as it looked worn out. Staff was friendly but I had to leave a breakage deposit of $50 as I was paying cash. First time this happened to me. The hotel is close to downtown city center.

Room Tip: Any room is fine.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Friends and I stopped in SLC before heading to Mt. Rushmore, Econo lodge was great for staying the night. We checked in at around 9 p.m and checked out at 5.am. We only stayed a meager 8 hours in the area but this hotel served its purpose.
This hotel did come with Wifi which was really convenient and was around many places to eat. Our room was clean and we didn't have any problems with anything. The AC worked great and in all the room was what we expected.Things do close really early from what we saw in SLC so we didn't get to experience much in the area.
Just a word of advice, the area isn't the best but it isn't the worse either. A few times there were a few people riding their bikes in the parking lot scoping out the cars. It was very obvious they weren't guests at the hotel and would just be hanging out on the pathway in from of the cars. If you have a lot of gear in your car that's exposed, take it inside to be safe.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends