“We had a nice stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Colorado
“We had a nice stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just returned from a quick weekend trip to visit the folks in SLC. I had tried earlier to book a room at the Peery Hotel where my sister and her husband had booked earlier on. Thought it was quaint and cute and the price at the time was lower than what we ended up paying at the Crystal Inn. Unfortunately, they were all booked out of two queen rooms, so I started searching and found the Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites, fairly close to the Peery Hotel. The pix shown were good but not exceptional, pretty average but the price was very competitive but still more than the Peery Hotel. I figured it was a quick weekend stay so I booked it for my husband and I and our two kids. Upon arrival, parking fills up in the evening pretty fast, typical but we found something fairly close to the door. The hallways needed some tending to from traffic coming in and out, there were some trash and stuff on the floors. It needed some cleaning, but not too bad. The room was clean with a nice fridge, small microwave, flat screen tv with Dish service and double sinks. The shower could use some water pressure, wish hotels would put in normal or more pressure because for someone with long hair, it takes twice as long to get it wet! Wastes more water, don't they know that?!... Beds were nice and clean, mattress pretty comfy. The thing we liked most was that there was a small pool and jacuzzi for their guests where the Peery would have been boring because they didn't offer any of those amenities and even my sister said that they still had the old tube TV in their room and not much else, it was pretty sparse! In addition, they have a complimentary breakfast buffet that was pretty nice for a hotel in this price range. Again, the Peery did not even offer a continental breakfast...and the Crystal Inn also welcomes outsiders for $10 to dine at their buffet! That was the clincher for me and I will definitely stay at the Crystal Inn again. We didn't have any concerns so we didn't need to speak with the staff much but they seemed friendly. The kitchen staff was very kind and accommodating when I asked for a table to be cleaned and more syrup, when they ran out in the buffet. We definitely got a bang for our buck. It's not first class but a decent coach! Try them!!

Room Tip: There is a small fitness room and sauna within the pool area. Also a guest laundry room, self paid...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank brinks4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Redding, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

There was nothing extra special about this hotel, but it was clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. When I was booking we had split days... staying 2 nights, leaving for 5 days and back for 2 nights. Booking with them was easy and could have been a nightmare. They offered for us to leave things and/or car there while we were gone (although we didn't need to do so). The only thing that was not very good was the breakfast... we did not enjoy the food although it does seem that they are trying to put out a diverse full one for guests.
For the price, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room above the first floor unless you want to look out your window at a wall. The higher the...
    • 2 of 5 stars
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have a new favorite hotel in Salt Lake City!
Good location, we were able to walk mostly everywhere.
I love the oversized rooms with the separate sitting area.
We had a king-sized bed this trip, and it was soooo comfortable!
Air conditioner was very efficient and easy to use.
Awesome breakfast, and they do a great job at keeping everything filled. Lots of seating.
Yes, it does cost a little more than the budget hotels, but when you realize you don't have to go out for for a full breakfast, it is worth it.

Room Tip: Try to get a upper floor. We've had both, and upper was definitely quieter.
1 Thank GrammaKelly
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Crystal Inn for 5 nights while in Salt Lake City. The location was wonderful and we were able to walk to everything we wanted to see! Everything that was a bit more than walking distance was easily gotten to by the train, which was two blocks away. The rooms and beds were excellent and comfortable - much better than other hotels we've been to. I loved that the hotel has a microwave and fridge in every room. Since we were going to be there for a while, we took advantage of that and went to the farmer's market (only about a block north in the park there) to stock up for easy lunches and snacks. Their breakfast at the hotel was what you'd expect from say a Holiday Inn Express. Overall, it was great and we'd stay again!

A few things: they do have a shuttle to and from the airport. Make sure you sign up to return to the airport at the front desk. They do have a contract with some pilots/flight staff so they sometimes wait a bit to get them at the same time (we had to wait a while at the airport for that reason).

Also, I read a lot about the homeless in this area and that people felt it was a bad thing for this hotel. While wandering the city, I realized they are everywhere. It's an urban environment and that tends to draw the homeless PLUS the hotel is downtown. The Grand Hotel (a much fancier affair) is two blocks to the east and it also had homeless milling about. It is just that kind of city; I feel it should not reflect on the hotel at all. There are dozen of hotels in the area and I never felt unsafe.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the east get a great view of the mountains and a beautiful sunrise!
1 Thank NikiMarie
South Windsor, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel had it all! Extra large room so if you needed to hang out to rest from touring it was great. The breakfast was wonderful (and also free of charge).The security was visible ,which is a good thing in every city! The staff is friendly and helpful.Complimentary newspapers(USA TODAY and local paper every day......Nice pool....free WIFI.....comfy beds and VERY CLEAN room.The location was convenient to tourist attractions and if it was't for the mid to high 90's temps we could have walked to many places.Would stay here again !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had a great king size bed, so comfortable. Large room with plenty of space to spread out. Our room had a half wall separating the bed area from sitting area.

Also had very good breakfast.

Close to everything. Free shuttle to airport. The employees were all very friendly & helpful, let us leave our luggage after we checked out until left on shuttle for airport.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
KENNEWICK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My daughter and I and her 2 month old baby decided to take a long road trip to introduce the baby to her great-grandparents. Our trip took us through Salt Lake City and since I had stayed at the Crystal Inn and Suites by myself in the past, I knew that we would have a comfortable and enjoyable time if we choose it for this trip. I was not disappointed. The room was very large, giving us ample space for all of the equipment my daughter thought she needed for the baby. The desk in the room was also large enough for us to both pull out our laptops while we unwound for the evening. The air conditioner worked great. I really sleep best in an all dark room and there wasn't any pesky light that kept me awake. Breakfast was great, but it is very popular so there was a little wait in line for the buffet - and this would probably be my largest complaint. That was easy to live through though.

Room Tip: This is a great hotel if you are a smoker. As with most smoking rooms, you are still at the edge of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family