Carlton Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Salt Lake City
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
Salt Lake Plaza Hotel(Salt Lake City)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Peery Hotel(Salt Lake City)
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewscooked to order breakfasttemple squaregreat breakfast includedsalt lakewithin easy walking distancesized bedcity creekcoffee makerthree nightsdowntown slcldsremodelssinkmicrowavelodging
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband spent the weekend here and loved it. We went to Salt Lake City to go to the LDS Conf. We wanted somewhere near the temple and conf. center. We did not know anything about the hotel before we arrived. We were picked up at the air port and helped to our room. We had asked for a room, we got a suite, which was wonderful. It was more like being at home. We had a TV in the bedroom and one in the living room, a nice kitchenete. A large bathroom with a nice tub and walk-in shower. All were very clean. There were extra blanklets and pillows.

We had a very nice breakfast, made to order and good. Everyone there was very helpful and nice. The price was also very good.

I am hard to please when it comes to hotels and I can say that I would there there again, We felt at home.

Anyone going to Salt Lake City and wanting to be near downtown and the LDS Temple and other buildings for a good price should think about staying at the Carlton Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Virginia G
Reviewed October 7, 2013

It may be dated and a a bit shabby but Everything is within walking distance in downtown SLC. They even provide a free shuttle to the airport plus daily trips to/from the genealogical library for older folks that have difficulty walking. I stayed as a single but had 2 full bedrooms plus a kitchenette with fridge, toaster, sink, coffee maker, china and silverware. Service at the front desk was excellent, very helpful. The other side of being center city was a bust street car wise all night. I ran the fan on low to cover it and that was that. If you don't get hot water after running it for 5 minutes call the front desk and they will have someone kick start the water heater for you. Oh and a made to order breakfast is included. Overall good marks despite the older/bit shabby appearance.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Carol S
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I checked in here and had an awful experience. After getting my clothes away, I arranged my
school stuff over to one side. My husband left, and when he did, I noticed the desk clerk paying
a lot of attention to my goings and coming. At first I thought, How Nice, but later it got on my
nerves. My first floor room faced the wall, but I like the convenience of quick getting in and out.
Also the idea of an eating place downstairs. Next day I asked where the nearest ATM was? No
people at desk, just the clerk. He told me, and after locking my room and shutting my drawers,
I left. Oh yeah, I made up the bed. It was after dinner. I came back and noticed right away, that
my bed was totally rumpled up and look like someone searched and tried to put back. My drawers were all shut hodgepodge and my underwear was messed up (I'd left it folded).

I called my husband, but he had left to go home back East.
I went called the Clerk-- it was 10 pm by now. I said that it was obvious SOMEONE had been
in here and I wanted Security. He said Security was asleep and he wasn't going to wake him up.
I said, WHAT? I've had a breakin. He said, Was anything taken? I said, NO. I don't keep anything of value in my room and NO MONEY OR DRUGS. He shrugged and started to walk
away! I said, Aren't you going to call the police? He said, NO. You can, but I won't back you
up, because there was no one here but me. And he walked away.
My first day at school, a Fri, was the next day. I still had tons of stuff in boxes, I was going to
store in a storage bin somewhere. I was beside myself. I pulled off the sheets, since I knew
someone had touched them (and God knows what else) and tried to sleep, figuring I'd fix
things somehow the next night.

Couldn't sleep and around midnight, called the old Hilton now a Sheraton on 500 South.
Jeff the night auditor remembered me, since I stayed there two weeks before moving to this
dump. I burst into tears and he said, What's wrong? Are you hurt? I said, No and blurted
out the whole story. Right away he said the Clerk was just too odd and wrong not to call.

Then Jeff said, "You come back here, if you can, and we'll find you a room for a couple weeks, till you can find something decent." I did and tipped a cabbie to help with luggage and boxes.
The students at school were horrified and didn't blame me. Fortunately, I had enough money
to do that. I eventually moved across into the old Travelodge above the office. I told them
the Story and said I wouldn't have any trouble there, and if I did, to just call them and they'd call the police, no problem.

If the old Hilton now a Sheraton kept Jeff and the old Staff, they were SMART, and should
be proud of them. Just as I left and told the Front Desk what a jerk he was and I was canceling my 6 mo stay and he better not charge me, I heard him mumble to another buddy, that he
had had an "incident" with me, and was glad I didn't call the police, as he had personally
"checked" my room for drugs!! wow. I was so disgusted, I just walked out. Didn't get settled
in my new room till 11:30 pm, but didn't care. I was so happy to feel 'safe.'

No, don't let the building "charm" fool you. The Staff sucks and is not reliable. REALLY.
This happened a few years ago, and I don't want to say when. The point is it was AWFUL. I
put the oldest date I could, but it was before that. Again, plenty of other places more secur
and more safe.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank BootsiesMom2013
Carlton-SLC, Manager at Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

I hope people who read this review have a good laugh and then read our other reviews. At the bottom of every review TripAdvisor states "this review is the SUBJECTIVE OPINION of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC".

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I booked this after reading a variety of reviews and I agree with other reviewers that this is a good price in an excellent location. I had various email communications in advance which were always responded to promptly and informatively. I queried the included cooked-to-order breakfast as one reviewer had suggested that only a continental breakfast is provided but I think he must have been at a different hotel. Bathrooms etc are upgraded and the only criticism I would have is that the carpets would benefit from good clean as they look a little grubby and/or stained. Everything else is clean and very comfortable. There are very reasonably priced laundry facilities and free coffee in the foyer. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank joyce516
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We chose this hotel primarily because it is located in downtown Salt Lake City and we were able to park our car in the hotel's attached parking garage and walk everywhere we wanted to go. Our room was huge and had a complete kitchenette including a small refrigerator, freezer, sink, toaster, coffee pot and plates and cutlery. The hotel provides a complimentary hot breakfast cooked to order. The front desk person was friendly and helpful with directions.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple