“Oasis for One”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Inn on the Hill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salt Lake City
Inn on the Hill
Ranked #1 of 11 Salt Lake City B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Alberta
“Oasis for One”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This place was amazing! I took a trip to visit the Family History Library to do genealogy research and this small room (Kodachrome) was perfect for some solo mom time. Loved that tub! Eileen and Sarah were so helpful and welcoming. They really made me feel at home and at ease. The breakfasts were wonderful and there was tea, coffee & cookies set out in the evenings. The reading rooms had fireplaces that were often lit and these were nice to unwind beside writing postcards or reading magazines before trundling off to bed.

The Inn on the Hill really is on a hill, so it took me a few days to get my legs (guess I'm not in as good of shape as I thought ;) but everything really is within walking distance. Harmons grocery store is SUPER nice and has hot foods, fresh baking and prepared sandwiches if you are looking for something to eat other than a restaurant. They also have free wifi and a seating area upstairs. Macy's, Nordstroms and a slew of other shops in City Creek Centre are within walking distance. The mall also has wireless.

During two days it snowed/rained, so Eileen & Sarah lent me an umbrella. They also let me use a compter to print off my boarding passes and another document I needed. They were willing to lend me stamps (but I preferred to walk to the post office myself) and even looked up the closest used book store (Eborn Books on Main) for me. I really felt that their willingness to assist in making my stay wonderful was a big part of the pleasure of this trip. The other was the gorgeous building and attention to detail. The owners of this inn obviously know what they are doing. There is nothing that could be said bad about this place. While in my room, I did not hear any other guests. I did hear people outside walking by, but from the other guests, I didn't hear a peep. The walls must be so solid. The decor was tasteful and honoured rather than detracted from the period of the house. Aveda toiletries, mints on the pillows, fluffy robes & towels... It's all there.

Hoping for another reason to one day come back and enjoy this place again. I will be telling everyone I know who is travelling to SLC to book here.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and unique. I would ask the staff for recommendations if I wasn't su...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CanadianGirlScout

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Pacific Northwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We loved the inn and the location very close to the sights downtown. Super friendly innkeepers, great service and amenities. Each room has a lot of personality and are very tastefully done. Breakfast was very nice and relaxing. I recommend them highly if you are looking for a nice, quiet place to stay in Salt Lake.

Room Tip: We stayed in Arches, which is on the bottom floor. Huge whirlpool tub!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steepanddeep4me
utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We spent a night at the Inn on the Hill for my birthday. The overall experience was excellent. The inn is very charming. The lobby area was a touch on the warm side but the air conditioner in our room worked great and the room temperature was fine. I had birthday chocolates on my bed and we were even given a birthday discount.

I loved all the little amenities like fresh chocolate chip cookies, Aveda products in the bathroom, and the little fridge with all the drinks and snacks you could want! Breakfast in the morning was delicious and well presented (fruit, potatoes, an omelette stack w/Hollandaise sauce).

The Wasatch room has a semi-private balcony (shared with another room) and the view was amazing. The bed was very comfortable and we would have used the fireplace had it been colder outside. Also loved the large jetted tub. It was very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jellogirl
Richmond, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We made the reservation at the recommendation of a friend. Best tip of the year! We had a marvelous stay in the city. Enjoyed museums, music, top-rated restaurants AND skied Alta, Solitude, and Snow Basin with easy, beautiful drives. The staff, particularly Sarah, Eileen, and Josh are exemplary and have vast knowledge of the area. The building is not only beautiful, but comfortable. And did I mention the delicious breakfasts? I won't stay anywhere else when I visit Salt Lake in the future.

Room Tip: We had a room on the street level so had to keep shades down for privacy. We didn't spend any t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CRKVermont
Syracuse, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Short Version:
Wife said "This was the best Bed & Breakfast we've stayed in! We need to come back here!" You'll love it too!

Long Version:
Each year for our anniversary, we try to stay in cool "anniversary style" places to get away from the kids & celebrate another year together. We particularly like Bed & Breakfasts & this one definitely rocked! Wife said, "Better than The Anniversary Inn" [in Salt Lake].

We stayed in the Canyonlands room on 2/8/2013.

The Rooms:
We arrived early & had a chance to check out several of the rooms in the Inn. Holy cow! They're incredible! The Kings Peak room is flat out awesome!!! Saltair is sweet too! If you have a chance, stop by before hand & check all of them out to see which one fits you best.

Canyonlands Room:
Our room, while one of the smaller ones, was still quite cozy. It has a gas fireplace (see picture) that you can easily turn on with a switch. The bed is EXTREMELY comfortable and had a really nice down comforter on it (I slept like a baby!) The room sits right below one of the sitting rooms upstairs so if there's people walking around in the sitting room, you can hear the floor upstairs creaking, but it's very muted (didn't bother us a bit!) They must be really well insulated, because we didn't hear any of the other guests at all.

The bathroom is lined in tan tile on the floor and walls. My wife was impressed with how warm the tile was (she thought it'd be really cold; especially in Feb in the winter in Utah). The tub is a huge jetted tub/shower. Holy cow the shower head rocks! The water was as hot as we wanted it and the sheer volume of water was incredible. It REALLY puts out! (see picture) Also, with a little shampoo, it makes one heck of a bubble bath too!

The TV in the room is a little on the small side & the controls took a bit to figure out, but it's big enough to watch from the bed & we were able to enjoy 2 movies quite well.

The temperature in the room was easily controlled with the fireplace or the sweet radiator! Both were easy to control and modulate the heat. I loved the quiet hissing of the steam flowing through the radiator! So cool! (very quiet, definitely won't keep you up at night either).

Wi-Fi in the room is there, but the signal is really weak. We were able to connect on a tablet & browse the web, but video's took noticeably longer to load (because of the weak connection). But, it's there if you need it & it's fast enough to easily browse email & basic web stuff. Netflix probably isn't going to work though in Canyonlands. But, again, we weren't there for wifi, we were there to GET AWAY from the world, so it really didn't bother us.

Service:
Very, very good! We had noted a dietary need when we registered online & the staff called the day before we were to arrive to clarify it so as to ensure they would be able to accommodate it (how cool is that?) They were great to help with any questions or concerns we had (so how does this remote thingy work?) They also had warm chocolate chip cookies waiting for us upon arrival (yum!).

On each floor is a closet that's stocked with soda, granola bars, chips, and other snacks. They're 100% free and available to you at any time of the day (2am & got a craving for a sprite? You're set!)

Ambiance:
This place is gushing with old-school charm! Built based on an old English manor over 100 years ago, the place is incredible. Beautiful wood trim everywhere, two incredible sitting rooms, a large pool room, a beautifully furnished dining room, and ornate window work & moldings. Everything is well kept too. Think Old School Mansion. There's great sitting areas and beautiful stained glass windows in the front area.

Parking:
They had two off-street parking lots. A front & a back. The front one has a VERY steep driveway to get up & parking is really limited. Use the back lot if you can, it's much easier to maneuver a mini-van in.

Window Views:
While we were on the basement level, the views from our room windows were still surprisingly good! We could see the Church Office Building and little bit of downtown. Upstairs in the sitting rooms, the views were absolutely stunning! (check out the view of the Salt Lake Temple I took from one of the windows). I'm sure the views from the rooms on the upper levels are equally as stunning; if not better.

Noise:
The walls of the Inn are really thick & it's located in an area away from the downtown traffic. We couldn't hear any outside noise at all! We could hear people upstairs in the sitting room directly above our room walking around, but it was really minor & it's just because some of the floor boards creaked (added to the "old style charm", didn't bother us a bit).

Breakfast:
You sign up for which time you'd like the night before and it worked well. Upon our arrival to the lavishly furnished dining room with a fire place going, we were immediately greeted by the staff and asked for our choice of juice and introduced to the room where warm cinnamon rolls, yogurt, and fresh fruit were available. Once seated at the elegant tables, our host brought us our juice and within 5 minutes our breakfast arrived. They served us a delicious meal of Eggs Benedict with fresh fruit and roasted potatoes. Man that was good! I just have to say, the orange juice is incredible! Not sure what kind it was, but wow, loved it! There's also tea, coffee, hot chocolate, and other amenities available as well.

The Would We Stay Here Again question.
ABSOLUTELY!!! WITHOUT HESITATION!
The wife said that a few times while we were there. "We're coming back here!" "I really like this one!" "Lets try this one again" were just a few of the things she had to say about it.

The Would I Recommend It question.
Yep! Absolutely! I'll most likely be back (I'm sure if you stay here, you probably will be too!)

Sum It Up:
If you're looking for a nice, cozy place to stay for an anniversary or special getaway, this place is awesome! The ambiance is great, the rooms are nice & cozy, and the service is awesome! I'm sure we'll be back! (Check out some of the pictures we took of the inside of the Inn!)

Room Tip: Rooms were on 3 levels. Basement & two upper levels. Canyonlands is in the basement & smalle...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SyracuseUTTraveler
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a wonderful building with brilliant views of Salt Lake City and the staff make you feel like a guest in their home. Each room is individual, with its own furnishings and different views of the city or the mountains. Quiet and very comfortable - a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Wasatch Mountain has some great views and a lovely balcony. Very quiet too.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
American Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stay at the Inn on the Hill regularly, visiting Salt Lake City from our home in Idaho. We are never disappointed, and in fact the Inn seems to just get better and better. The rooms are fabulous, with wonderfully comfortable mattresses, luxurious linens, attention to detail in cleanliness, and every tiny detail attended to. Our favorite room is the Saltair - the fireplace is a romantic and warm touch and the beautiful, large bathroom is fabulous for a nice soak before bed in the jetted tub. Of course, the breakfast is always delicious and the staff is most welcoming and accommodating. We have no desire to stay anyplace else and highly recommend the Inn.

Room Tip: The Saltair is perfect for a romantic little getaway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple